Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

ARP head stud install,no cam removal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2004, 04:16 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up ARP head stud install,no cam removal

Easy Arp cylinder head stud install,no cam removal required.
1st,remove coil cover and remove coils(like you are changing spark plugs).
2nd,remove radiator cap as to let out any pressure build up in cooling system.
3rd,remove all 10mm headed bolts that hold valve cover onto
cylinder head.
4th,now you see all 10 head bolts.start in middle of cylinder head and remove just 1 bolt(tool needed is a 12mm 12 point socket with a short extension)these bolts are tightened to a certain torque,then rotated 90 degrees twice,as to stretch bolt(torque to yeild)so they may seem a little bit tight.
5th,remove just first bolt,do not,i repeat,do not loosen any other bolts at this time.
6th,install first stud.tool needed is an allen wrench(has allen hole in top that will face up.Tighten this all the way in to block,untill it
wont tighten any more.
7th,take allen wrench off stud and slip washer over allen wrench,
put allen wrench back into top of stud while holding washer,once allen is on top of stud like you are going to tighten stud,let washer fall down onto stud.the reason i did this is so that the washer can only fall onto stud and not down anywhere else,like into oil drain back holes or worse yet,into oil pan.
8th,put some lube that comes with stud set onto threads of nut.do the same thing with nut as you did with the washer,for the same reasons.
9th,now you need a 13mm,12 piont socket,semi deep or deep and a torque wrench.Tighten nut to specified torque,I think it is somewhere around 80ft/lbs.check directions just to be sure.
10th,continue this procedure,one at a time,untill all ten are done,
then go back and check all nut torques one more time.
(note;2 or 3 bolts are a ***** to remove because the washer on the bolt is slightly under the valve spring,just pull on the bolt slightly with a pair of pliers,comes right out.I think it is the 2 middle bolts,the first two that you do)
11th,make sure that you are removing and reinstalling these bolts in the same sequence that you would torque the cylinder head with,sort of a circular,criss-cross pattern.
12,reinstall valve cover and coils.Thats it you are done.
can be done warm or cold,but would not recommend hot.
good luck.any questions on torque sequence,see service manual,
or someone could download image from service manual.(I would if i could figure where it went when i made a copy of it,LOL)
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discuss thread here