Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Adpapters needed for new head unit in SSL.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adpapters needed for new head unit in SSL.

Im trying to figure out what adapter I need to make a new head unit work in a 2005 with SSL. I would REALLY like to retain the factory amp. Maybe the MITAH adapter like the Sun and Sound Eclipses use?
Old Jun 14, 2005, 12:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi,

Here is what you are looking for MITAH wire. I used it for my SSL stereo install...gluck!!

Thanks,
Tom
Gruppes
510-783-5300
Old Jun 14, 2005, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gruppe-S
Hi,

Here is what you are looking for MITAH wire. I used it for my SSL stereo install...gluck!!

Thanks,
Tom
Gruppes
510-783-5300
Thanks. I kinda figured it would be the same thing, just wanted to confirm before I spent $25.00 and got the wrong adapter.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

You can also try Metra. I used it for my HU and it was pretty easy. Good luck.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Evolution23
You can also try Metra. I used it for my HU and it was pretty easy. Good luck.
IIRC, you need a Metra adapter for the power, and the MITAH for the audio output.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 05:12 PM

Can anyone verify?
Old Jun 14, 2005, 05:48 PM

Yes you need two harnesses, the one that is linked above and a metra harness for the deck. The metra harness allows you to install the deck, but without the other cable you will not get any sound.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by TheBoss
Yes you need two harnesses, the one that is linked above and a metra harness for the deck. The metra harness allows you to install the deck, but without the other cable you will not get any sound.
K, thats what i thought. Thanks for the 2nd opinion.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, so let me try to go ahead and cut everything short and sweet, as I found lots of pages on this but some confusion.

If you have an SSL equipped EVO, you will need two different harnesses to be able to use your aftermarket HU (headunit) and retain use of the stock amp & sub.

1) To use the stock amp & sub, you will need the "MITAH" adapter (Peripheral MIT) which has 4 RCA's which plug into your new HU, and the a factory rounded connector which goes into your harness. It also has a blue wire which you must join with your factory blue/white wire. You may also use the same adapter from another company called Soundgate "MITSRCVR" which does the same thing.

You can buy the "MITAH" from this link:

http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/piehrcmit.html

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=434

You can buy the "MITSRCVR" from here:

http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/sounmitsrcvr.html

https://www.soundgate.com//index.php...ategoryid=187&

2) You also need a harness for your power plug. This is the "Metra" adapter.

This can be found here:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=433

Now, I found two places that sell both as a combo:

http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/MI...SS_p_1379.html

http://www.audioallies.com/getitem.a...70-7003&Sys=FR

That is what I have found through my own searches and those of others here on EVOM. I haven't bought any of these myself YET, as I'm in the process of gather info to buy what I need. If any of this is incorrect, please feel free to correct me!
Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

I'm an audio noob so no flames. I installed my Eclipse headunit using the two adapters mentioned above (came in one package) ordered through the place I purchased the head unit from. Everything works as advertised although on occasion, the sound will cut out. If I turn off the headunit and back on, sound comes right back on. There was no cutting or splicing necessary on the factory harness, just the radio side.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Stock amp might be going into protection mode.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on that mitah site, they also have a new "all in one" it's linked on the mitah page.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where was this thread on saturday. I spent the afternoon running new wires from my new alpine to each of my speakers.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

What would cause the factory amp to go into protective mode? It'll happen within the first 30 minutes of the car being on, cool interior, full a/c. No major bass output going on. It actually seems pretty random. Sometimes it'll happen for three songs in a row, sometimes not, even on the same song. I originally theorized it had something to do with burning MP3's onto cheap CD's. dunno...It's an Eclipse 8445. My last Eclipse was going strong after five years. I did have to adjust the EQ parameters quite a bit to achieve the same good sound I had before. Took a bit of fiddling but I can't imagine the line input causing it to go into protective mode...is it just a crap amplifier?
Old Sep 28, 2005, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Stock
What would cause the factory amp to go into protective mode? It'll happen within the first 30 minutes of the car being on, cool interior, full a/c. No major bass output going on. It actually seems pretty random. Sometimes it'll happen for three songs in a row, sometimes not, even on the same song. I originally theorized it had something to do with burning MP3's onto cheap CD's. dunno...It's an Eclipse 8445. My last Eclipse was going strong after five years. I did have to adjust the EQ parameters quite a bit to achieve the same good sound I had before. Took a bit of fiddling but I can't imagine the line input causing it to go into protective mode...is it just a crap amplifier?

Your ampliying a signal now with the new deck to a high level input on the infinity amp. When ever a spike in input voltage occurs it will shut it down. Youll need to replace that amp with a new 4 channel amp and relplace the factory sub in the long run.

Quick Reply: Adpapters needed for new head unit in SSL.