Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

difference between a Cwest bumper and a knockoff?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:23 AM
GDB
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mifesto
anyone who claims the design of the bumper itself reduced their laptime really have to wake up and smell the coffee....

im not saying its for show, i DO believe in cwest but hey lets get real. what you are mainly feeling is the about 20 lbs of weight removed from the best place possible on the evo (the front!!!).. thats why the RS doesnt have HID's, it saves alot. so basically your evo is getting closer to neutral handling and improving your laptime. ok signin off.
TWENTY POUNDS for a bumper change?? If you take off the entire stock bumper, I doubt it weighs 20lbs in the first place!

LancerEvo Magazine that I have states that switching to stock Evo8 bumper to a Stillway bumper only saves 1.0kg. That's about 2.2lbs. Oh and they list the stock bumper weight as 7.9kg, or about 17+lbs.

Downforce downforce downforce
Old Aug 17, 2005, 01:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by roo@bpauto
YOUR bumper? Counterfeit money there is no different. Fake rolex there is no different. I don't care how many of your fakie fakie bumpers you've sold, you stole a design that does not belong to you and are making profit from it and now you are touting it as and accomplishment.

so the greed yes the greed
Don't hate the playa, hate the game!!
Old Aug 17, 2005, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GDB
TWENTY POUNDS for a bumper change?? If you take off the entire stock bumper, I doubt it weighs 20lbs in the first place!

LancerEvo Magazine that I have states that switching to stock Evo8 bumper to a Stillway bumper only saves 1.0kg. That's about 2.2lbs. Oh and they list the stock bumper weight as 7.9kg, or about 17+lbs.

Downforce downforce downforce
i can tell from your post you havent really done much research about these JDM bumpers.... mitsu had to add a 5mph crash bar (front and rear) to the USDM evos. i weighted this at 13 lbs on my scale but been reported up to 15 (who knows). i have not weighed the bumpers itself because it was too cumbersome but i did feel a noticable weight difference which tells me its roughly 3-5 lb difference. now wither its 20 or 18 lbs, it will make a very noticable difference in your handling, not downforce
Old Aug 17, 2005, 07:49 PM
GDB
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
i can tell from your post you havent really done much research about these JDM bumpers.... mitsu had to add a 5mph crash bar (front and rear) to the USDM evos. i weighted this at 13 lbs on my scale but been reported up to 15 (who knows). i have not weighed the bumpers itself because it was too cumbersome but i did feel a noticable weight difference which tells me its roughly 3-5 lb difference. now wither its 20 or 18 lbs, it will make a very noticable difference in your handling, not downforce
The tests done by C-West are from stock JDM bumper, to aftermarket bumper. Wind tunnel tested too. Of course it's up to the reader whether or not it is believable, but I spoke to an aeroplane engineer and he said those test results indicate that it SHOULD help in the high sweepers.

Do you take your car to the track? Look I'm not trying to flame/pick a fight with you. Anyway, I do, and my track has quite a few high speed sections, speeds 90mph and up.

Alright I admit I can't comment on the comments made by those who switch from USDM to JDM; and you're right I know nothing about USDM because I have JDM bumper from day one.

EDIT: Oh by the way I have tried "removing" about 120lbs of weight, by driving alone instead of having a passenger, hehe.. Honestly the car does 'feel' better, but how much it contributes to real lap time saving I don't know because I keep improving my lap times naturally as I get more and more familiar with the track.

Last edited by GDB; Aug 17, 2005 at 07:57 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 7for8
happens happens. maybe just a bad day :P
not really, i've gotten the same impression from his past posts.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by PnutButterWolf
yeah i noticed too. However i just don't like his cocky attitude. especially from a vendor.. that attitude needs some adjustment for sure.
I think you are reading far too much into my very short post. You were claiming the Valdi Sport bumper is the T&S bumper.....it's not. People pointed it out to you and you still refused to admit your mistake. Hence the roll of the eyes and post of the actual manufacturer. It wasn't intended to be a cocky attitude, just a correction.

Originally Posted by hueman
not really, i've gotten the same impression from his past posts.
chill with the hate. there used to be other employees here using my sn and while i'm not sure what other "past posts" you are referring to, the only negative vibes would be directed towards counterfeit/replica/knockoff/.etc. products.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Karash
Hey Roo,

Can you guys still get the Chockets front bumper?
Most definatly.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

ok guys let me know what you think. I think I spot the difference between the 2 bumpers. The knock off one has a bigger hole for the intercooler, its wider and taller if you look carefully where it line up with the headlights. Also the edges are sharper on the real one, especially right below the bottom canard where the groove is deeper.

Last edited by Derek888; Aug 19, 2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Yea you're right, good eye

But for the $600 or so price difference, i don't blame ppl for getting the knockoff hehe, it's a pretty good knockoff.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

how bout this?
Attached Thumbnails difference between a Cwest bumper and a knockoff?-dsc00773.jpg  
Old Aug 19, 2005, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GDB
The tests done by C-West are from stock JDM bumper, to aftermarket bumper. Wind tunnel tested too. Of course it's up to the reader whether or not it is believable, but I spoke to an aeroplane engineer and he said those test results indicate that it SHOULD help in the high sweepers.

Do you take your car to the track? Look I'm not trying to flame/pick a fight with you. Anyway, I do, and my track has quite a few high speed sections, speeds 90mph and up.

Alright I admit I can't comment on the comments made by those who switch from USDM to JDM; and you're right I know nothing about USDM because I have JDM bumper from day one.

EDIT: Oh by the way I have tried "removing" about 120lbs of weight, by driving alone instead of having a passenger, hehe.. Honestly the car does 'feel' better, but how much it contributes to real lap time saving I don't know because I keep improving my lap times naturally as I get more and more familiar with the track.
so your not really disagreeing in any way. my post clearely stated i AM a fan of cwest and i AM a believer of their extensive windtunnel research. but would i believe anyone who claims they can really feel it? no. my point is only way to tell if the part cut your track time is ONLY and ONLY IF that part did not save you any weight. now this isnt the case, as switching to cwest kit will save you at minimum 15 lbs in the front. (lighter bumper + front bumper support) AND give you abit more downforce.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

chill with the hate. there used to be other employees here using my sn and while i'm not sure what other "past posts" you are referring to, the only negative vibes would be directed towards counterfeit/replica/knockoff/.etc. products.
you're kidding right? you came into this thread and trashed streetconcepts' bumper and imply that their bumpers are second rate and that their company is motivated purely by greed and you call me a hater. that's funny.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 02:47 AM
Evolving Member

I think you are reading far too much into my very short post. You were claiming the Valdi Sport bumper is the T&S bumper.....it's not. People pointed it out to you and you still refused to admit your mistake. Hence the roll of the eyes and post of the actual manufacturer. It wasn't intended to be a cocky attitude, just a correction.
I don't think I had a chance to comment on my mistake, and you already jumped on it. Even if you need to correct someone about something, no need to imply w/ a :rolleye: attitude. Think you know everything? Give me a break. You just shot yourself in the foot and lost quite a lot of customers. This will be a snowballing effect. Just watch!

Old Aug 22, 2005, 08:05 PM

Glad somebody finally posted side-by-side pics of the two bumpers. For the $$ difference, I would definitely get the knock-off; I agree with the point above that if you're gonna have to replace a bumper, which would hurt less?
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ArchieBabes
Don't forget about the Varis Full Front Bumper

Only two kits in the USA so far.

make that 4 kits, my friend has one, and i just bought everything varis sells..

Quick Reply: difference between a Cwest bumper and a knockoff?