Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Evo 8 Car PC Kit/2-DIN and Cubby Modification.

Old Sep 1, 2005, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice!
Old Sep 1, 2005, 06:38 PM

damn... i want one....

i sent you pm... im thinkin of ordering one...but im not sure how the pc thing works.... il research some more...
Old Sep 1, 2005, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

looks sick, good idea.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hotrod2448
OK I've got a question and I'm new to the whole car PC thing so bear with me.

Is there any way to use the PC and screen to display and control engine management? I'm thinking if you have an Exede, Utec, Aem, or anything similar this would be an awesome setup tp avoid having a laptop in your car. Kind of like the HKS CAMP system but able to change mapping.

Actually it's interesting that you say this.. This screen has a max resolution of like 1024 X 768, which I have to tell you is very very good.. Even at 800 X 600 It's pretty clear which is what I will be running it at. So even though someone posted that tunning on a 7 inch isn't fun, I will tell you the clarity and res of this screen is quite good and totally dooable. I would have done it myself but I don't have any tunning experience so the next best thing for me was this:

http://www.digimoto.com/faq.htm

It's awesome, I can monitor engine codes, run diagnostics run tests of various sensor, get estimated Wheel Horsepower, Get accurate Quarter Mile times.. and so forth.. Check out the demo's.. I also have a wireless LAN on the car and I've been known to find quite a few unsecure networks through Chicago area. Not to mention for total Wireless connectivity I can get the internet at 512K speed through my Razr from T-mobile.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mike1023
i see whats the cable look like. maybe some way to make longer and then can be 90 dagress

Good I see you finally read.. now let me explain it a bit further. This cable is not just any ordinary cable, not only does it have special clips and bolts that fit perfectly to the plastic Vents and such, but this cable has exact measurements for a reason.

Think of it as a brake cable from a bike.. it's really just as similar.. Except one big problem. When you turn the knob on the heating or Vent Controls in the back of the white HVAC control it acts like a bike brake, you have a plastic tube and a metal wire that's thick and slides in and out. on the other end of this wire it is connected to the plastic vents. The problem lies that the measurements have to be exact by less that 3 centimeter diff. Maybe even perfect otherwise the HVAC and the Vents are not working in unison and when you want hot air it up top it might not have turned the vent enough and you are getting your air on the floor still. You really won't know what I'm exactly talking about until you pop the OEM 1-DIN Cubby and look for yourself. Just trust me.. Unless you can get a bike company to somehow manufacture the same kind of brake with the exact same measurements just longer it will work.

But this is the Kicker.. these pictures dont' do it justice but honestly these Controls are not that far tilted. My hand when lowered perfectly are centered on these controls. It's not like I have to tilt my wrist or anything. Look more carefully and you'll see you have more than enough clearance. if anything before I had to raise my hand and tilt to turn the knob. Now it's lower so my hand naturally turns the knobs with ease. In the end if you really can't stand it.

SpoolingEvoX has a similar kit idea but he's using a diff. HVAC and the JDM controls. Go check that out. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...3&page=9&pp=15

Last edited by Jedi_Gill; Sep 1, 2005 at 11:39 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

i ordered my **** today except im doin the 3.4ghz gallatin socket 478 processor, 2gb of pc3200, touch screen flip out, pci 256mb radeon 9250 video card, 2nd slot is a fan i got, the highest flow pci fan i could find....
Old Sep 2, 2005, 09:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i LOVE THE IDEA, I have an alpine 7" flip out tv deck but I really want the kenwood double din deck. The only issue i have with this setup is the fact that the HVAC are facing down like that, Doesnt look OEM in the slightest. I like the 2003 eclipse hvac conversion more because it looks more OEM honestly.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NOLIMITMOTORS
i LOVE THE IDEA, I have an alpine 7" flip out tv deck but I really want the kenwood double din deck. The only issue i have with this setup is the fact that the HVAC are facing down like that, Doesnt look OEM in the slightest. I like the 2003 eclipse hvac conversion more because it looks more OEM honestly.

Well I'm going to agree that this is definately not OEM, but I do know that when I'm done with it.. it's going to look OEM Jedi Style. It really boils down to what you want to do with your car and your budget. You can go either way if you're planning on doing a Car PC however if you're going stricly 2-DIN to put a bigger radio in it.. you'll have to go Spooling Evo way. He really does have a nice kit put together also, I actually simply created this because honestly I got tired of waiting and decided to take it in my own hands to brew my own stuff. As mentioned earlier if no-one wants what I have done for my car I don't really care I'm just happy this works for me and it costs me nothing but alot of manual labor. and some $$$ He is selling his kit between 400$ -$500 and I'm thinking I want to keep it under $100. I won't know exactly how much it's going to cost but I'll keep everyone posted as soon as I get word from my molder.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

I've had a CarPC in my Evo for about 6 months now. I'm quite suprised that members seem interested in the idea. Its a pretty good process to get everything working together properly. I chose to use a flip out 1din VGA touchscreen monitor since i was worried about glare.

To be honest...... during the day (no tinted windows) it is near impossible to see the screen without adjusting the angle. If it were a 2din like the one pictured, it would be almost useless during the day unless you have the darkest tint on your windows and still the front window will cause glare at times.

During the night time, its perfect. Play music videos, mp3, movies, wireless internet connection, GPS, pretty much anything.

I just got a PLX wideband M500 that i plan on using with the PC since the PLX does wireless datalogging.

Anyone interested in a Carpc should seriously consider and make sure that they do want to go ahead with it. There are a ton of wires that run through my car because of the PC and Sound system.

I'll try to post some pictures if anyone is interested in my setup.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8 WHOA
i ordered my **** today except im doin the 3.4ghz gallatin socket 478 processor, 2gb of pc3200, touch screen flip out, pci 256mb radeon 9250 video card, 2nd slot is a fan i got, the highest flow pci fan i could find....
that is seriously OVERKILL for a carpc. You may want to reconsider your parts.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

titaniumkingpin,

Please post pics, i am definitely interested in something like this. also, are you running a full stereo system with sub?
Old Sep 2, 2005, 04:08 PM

looks nice
Old Sep 2, 2005, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TwStDeVo
titaniumkingpin,

Please post pics, i am definitely interested in something like this. also, are you running a full stereo system with sub?
yes, full system with subs. im still not finished with the trunk setup. Its a mess right now. working but a mess!
I'll throw some pictures up soon.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...1&page=2&pp=15

heres a link to my old pictures..... 2nd page has more pics.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 04:49 PM

Pc

I am using a 8" touch screen monitor, 200 gb hard drive - custom mounted with a suspension system, 256 nvidia video card, 1 gb ram, the sound card output is Optical to the amp, I decided to buy the Hifonics Zeus 5.1 amp. to eliminate the multiple amps I was using, I now have thx, DTS, ets. It runs from the PC to the amp and subs etc, built a center channel up front. will be running the wideband to it, and a few other goodies.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo 8 Car PC Kit/2-DIN and Cubby Modification.