Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

18x9 Rota Gforce (concave city)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pewp
So I installed my Megan street coilovers tonight and it didn't help the rubbing any, but the drop wasn't really all that much. I'm pretty confident that it's mostly due to the spacers I had to put on the wheels. I wish there was some way to get these to fit without the spacers.
it's not the wheel or spacers fault. I have a friend who has 245/40/18's on his g-force's and has the same spacer from wheeldude and he doesnt rub one bit. I also have another friend running a 255/35/18 tire on these wheels and she doesn't have any rubbing either.

you do realize 18x9 +30, so +28 with a spacer is an extremely common setup for an evo. there are plenty of people running the same specs and even some with wider/lower offsets. it has to do with the particular tire you have or ride height.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs 245/40/18 and on both stock suspension and now stock height on the megan street coilovers I was/am rubbing. The only reason I am suspecting the spacers is because it's just the edge of the tire hitting the inner lining. The odd thing is that it seems worse on the passenger side than the driver side.

It's not like a life or death situation by any means. It's just annoying and slightly embarrassing to back out of a spot or the drive way and have that noise coming from the wheel well.

So if someone is running the star specs with stock or megan streets with spacers and isn't rubbing please let me know. I don't want to cut anything or modify the wheel well to make it work, but I am extremely interested in finding a solution.

Last edited by pewp; Jun 19, 2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 08:49 AM

great wheels!
Old Jun 21, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks wheeldude for the awesome service, wheels are in perfect shape and it got here quick.. I'm running Nankang NSIIs 245/40/18 w/ BS coilovers. I'm using the spacer provided and have my suspension set negative up front just a little bit and the dampener at 22 up front and harder in the rear. I have to rubbing issues but I do have a little rubbing in the liner at full turn. Other than that the car is aligned and the tires are not wearing un-evenly at the moment. Next time I want to use Falkens since their sidewall angles towards the middle creating more room between the tire and fenders.

Name:  rota9.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  69.9 KB

Name:  rota1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  48.6 KB
Old Jun 21, 2008, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

I got the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs 245/40/18 and on both stock suspension and now stock height on the megan street coilovers I was/am rubbing. The only reason I am suspecting the spacers is because it's just the edge of the tire hitting the inner lining. The odd thing is that it seems worse on the passenger side than the driver side.

It's not like a life or death situation by any means. It's just annoying and slightly embarrassing to back out of a spot or the drive way and have that noise coming from the wheel well.

So if someone is running the star specs with stock or megan streets with spacers and isn't rubbing please let me know. I don't want to cut anything or modify the wheel well to make it work, but I am extremely interested in finding a solution.
hey another nt.com member!

This is the exact setup I'm looking at as well for my WW down to the Z1 stars, is your car still at stock height while rubbing, and if you lowered it a bit more would that clear the issue? I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before I make the purchase as these seem to have many more problems than other wheels...seems rota should have taken more into account people with big brake kits and not made the concave so harsh

By the way, how does acceleration feel vs the stock wheels? any info on noticeable differences you've seen would be appreciated it! goodluck man
Old Jun 21, 2008, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

The wheel is not causing rubbing, it the tire choice and or specific setup. as i said before my friend has 245/40/18 with no rubbing at all, its close to the side skirt area but it never touches.

the 245/40/18 tire is too tall though especially on a lower offset wheel with wide width. i would highly suggest you get the 255/35/18 Z1 star spec. it's a better fit on a 9" wheel, slightly lower than stock rolling diameter so you will have great acceleration, and it looks awesome with no rubbing of the side skirt area. the 245/40/18 is 1.5% taller than stock, 255/35/18 is 1.2% shorter toss up but I would definitely go with the 255/35/18 for my wheels
Old Jun 21, 2008, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

I prefer the 245/40 if I had the choice as I would like to have more cushion for daily driving. Any idea as to what the difference between the 255/35 and 245/40s will feel like? I was curious as to his ride height, bc I know of other members running this wheel with the Z1 stars in the 245/40 with no rubbing or clearance issues at all. I know the z1s run a bit wide as someone else has them, and another tire in the same size and the z1 was wider.

I'm currently sitting on swift spring, -1.38" in the front, -.79" in the rear, any idea how that might fit? what is the formula you used to figure out the diameter of a specific wheel and tire?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 01:03 PM

Well after a day or so driving the car with the coilovers on I have found that the rubbing is becoming less noticeable. Just slightly there at full turn. the front end is still not as low as I want it. When I get the car corner balanced I am gonna have it dropped a bit lower. Kind of like dee has.

Either way, I'm confident that I'll find my happy medium. I talked to MikeIsBoosted and he's running 245/40/18 Z1's on megan coilovers with no rubbing, but he's not using the spacers.

Someone here said they did something to their car to get the wheels on without the spacers. Whoever that was, I wouldn't mind if they elaborated on that. The local tire shops don't like to even look at cars with spacers on them.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Well after a day or so driving the car with the coilovers on I have found that the rubbing is becoming less noticeable. Just slightly there at full turn. the front end is still not as low as I want it. When I get the car corner balanced I am gonna have it dropped a bit lower. Kind of like dee has.

Either way, I'm confident that I'll find my happy medium. I talked to MikeIsBoosted and he's running 245/40/18 Z1's on megan coilovers with no rubbing, but he's not using the spacers.

Someone here said they did something to their car to get the wheels on without the spacers. Whoever that was, I wouldn't mind if they elaborated on that. The local tire shops don't like to even look at cars with spacers on them.
care to post some pics of where it's rubbing and your current ride height? how much have you lowered it in the front? also how is acceleration compared to the oem wheels/tires? and how much more do you feel the bumps and holes in the road?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

I need a box of tissues...thats hot
Old Jul 10, 2008, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

I am looking to buy these. Anyone else having clearance issues?
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Nope, I use the 3mm spacers that they included, great choice and the stance looks mean especially in person...
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Newest color in stock : Hyper Black

We also have a new shipment of Gun Metallic and Flat Black Red Lip in stock

-Dan
Old Jul 10, 2008, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Wow. I'm really liking the Hyper Black. Was planning on ordering some in Gold but I may have to rethink that.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Box Rocket
Wow. I'm really liking the Hyper Black. Was planning on ordering some in Gold but I may have to rethink that.
i was thinking the exact same thing. I dont know what to get now...gold or this...

Quick Reply: 18x9 Rota Gforce (concave city)