Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Washing car in Winter!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea winters suck trying to keep car clean. i go to the spray booths you can do it yourself. even then its mad cold
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

You guys need to check out Optimum No Rinse or another rinseless car war in a bucket with warm water. Does the trick every time.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

I'd be worried that it'd scratch the paint though. I'm assuming you've used it?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I go to the do it yourself carwash about twice a week regardless of the temperature.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

I just fill a bucket of hot water from the bathtub then go to town out front I do one section at a time drying it off as i go so it doesn't freeze
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

I just keep the car running with the heat on high, so then I wash the bad boy and then jump in for a couple of seconds...

Sometimes I'm gangsta and wash my car with shorts on...
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MeFryRice
I'd be worried that it'd scratch the paint though. I'm assuming you've used it?
Yes that is all I use. I will probably never use a hose again. I don't know what is in the stuff but somehow it doesn't scratch the paint. It is incredible stuff. The strangest thing is that it doesn't look like soap. There is no foam or bubbles or anything. The first time you use it you think "this is going to scratch my car", but it doesn't.

Seriously check it out.

Here is my car after a detail. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pa...ck-evo-ix.html

It still looks pretty close to the same after a few months of crappy Oregon winters. I wash the car every weekend or every two weeks and the car is usually covered in dirt.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by eXtreme-Speed
I just fill a bucket of hot water from the bathtub then go to town out front I do one section at a time drying it off as i go so it doesn't freeze
That may sound good to you but if the water is hot enough and your glass is cold enough you could crack your windshield.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

When the car is really dirty I usually do each panel twice. It only takes 2 gallons of water total. Just get yourself some good microfiber drying towels.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

you kids ARE crazy lol. But, I live in the south and we don't really deal with salt or real winter for that matter.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

True car lover. Props man!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jjm4life
you still have your works on? so im assuming summer tires? thats a lot crazier (not to mention dangerous) than washing your car during winter.
this is coming from a kid that drives a lotus in Boston ... haha Yea i drive the works in the winter.. dont care about them that much... i clean them every week so it's all good
Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Solley
idk if this was directed to me or someone else but let me say this....i will never drive on summer tires in the winter EVER again!

I know it seems like common sense, but for a broke college student, i could afford a set of winters, also i never really had the choice before, always road around on all seasons. so i thought no big deal......mistake lol

Scary **** when summer tires are on ice, It like driving around on hockey puck slicks lol 0 traction anywhere. Lesson learned thats for sure, but still had a lot of fun in the evo!
i drive mine on all-season tires.. never had a problem yett. went threw 6 inch of snow on road... was going about 55-60mph on the highway and it felt fine while everyone else was going 25-30 on the highway felt like a bad*ss
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

I got the car wash around the corner which has a undercarriage sprayer and wash so I can maintain the salt at least. it does a decent job I then follow up in the garage with quick detailer and get the rest off the car.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
this is coming from a kid that drives a lotus in Boston ... haha Yea i drive the works in the winter.. dont care about them that much... i clean them every week so it's all good
i was referring to your tire choice more than the wheels. youre not going to wreck the wheels, but driving on summer tires in the winter is asking for trouble.

the lotus has blizzak ws60 on it, and a bit more clearance in the front than my evo did

Quick Reply: Washing car in Winter!!!!