Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Painted my VIII Tails

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painted my VIII Tails (More pics PG.2)

Well it took me 7 hours but it was well worth it - Looks awesome. Sorry for the crappy pictures i'll get some better ones today.

Painted, before lens

Border on the lense

Lenses attatched

Taped and drying

More pics PG.2

Last edited by YAMAHArYder; Mar 30, 2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice bro...good job!
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Nice work! Looks great!

What paint did you use? Did you primer, sand, etc.?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:49 AM

Looks good to me, i've been contemplating doing this for awhile but don't wanna screw it up.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Good job, it turned out great.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:33 PM

Thanks guys. Yeah i used Rustoleum brand flat black primer, and flat black multi surface paint. Before i primed i sanded the chrome just so it wasnt reflective anymore. Then i cleaned it with alchohol and started spraying. I did 3 coats primer and 3 coats finish. It's a lot of work but if you're careful, there's no reason why anyone couldnt do it.

No oven!

1. Flat black primer
2. Flat black paint
3. heat gun
4. 'Break off' style razor blade (bends easier)
5. Plastic clear drying glue
6. Silicone sealant
7.Masking tape
8.Time

Last edited by YAMAHArYder; Mar 30, 2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:11 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
How does the silicone sealant work?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:16 PM

oh so you were the one who bought that VIII at SRM.. nice pick up! i wanted to take a look at it when i brought in my evo for service
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:28 PM

As far as the chemical process, i'm not sure - But so far it's holding up great! ;D I only used the silicone after i had glued the lens back on. I just squeezed it into any gaps but i also made a nice thick layer all the way around - No one likes a fogged tail/head light.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by itsTee
oh so you were the one who bought that VIII at SRM.. nice pick up! i wanted to take a look at it when i brought in my evo for service
Hah small world! I couldnt pass this one up when i found it.. 36k, orig. owner, stock.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:51 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by YAMAHArYder
As far as the chemical process, i'm not sure - But so far it's holding up great! ;D I only used the silicone after i had glued the lens back on. I just squeezed it into any gaps but i also made a nice thick layer all the way around - No one likes a fogged tail/head light.
I just wonder how well it will hold over time. I plan on opening up my tail lights and doing a complicated LED tail light retrofit with circuitboards and such. Also, how "sloppy" does it look?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Looks good! Very clean. Any daytime pics?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

awesome looking. big upgrade from viii tails.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jp7
I just wonder how well it will hold over time. I plan on opening up my tail lights and doing a complicated LED tail light retrofit with circuitboards and such. Also, how "sloppy" does it look?
Well i guess i'll have to report back on how it holds up after a while. That sounds like a good idea with the LED's while you're in there, though. Either way you could always re-seal/silicone it. As far as sloppyness, i wandered the same thing and was hesitent to do the whoel project to begin with. BUT when it's all said and done, and cleaned up nicely, it looks as though the car came that way. It's not PERFECT, but if i were to do it again it would look even better. For example, instead of cutting the seam where the two plastics come together, i'd cut behind it further onto the black housing and make my own seam. This way you may not have to paint a border on the lens to cover up the '****tyness' of the seperated melt joint. Hope that all makes sense... I'll post up some close ups in the daytime as well later today.

Originally Posted by 4G63punk
Looks good! Very clean. Any daytime pics?
Coming sometime today
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:26 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by YAMAHArYder
Well i guess i'll have to report back on how it holds up after a while. That sounds like a good idea with the LED's while you're in there, though. Either way you could always re-seal/silicone it. As far as sloppyness, i wandered the same thing and was hesitent to do the whoel project to begin with. BUT when it's all said and done, and cleaned up nicely, it looks as though the car came that way. It's not PERFECT, but if i were to do it again it would look even better. For example, instead of cutting the seam where the two plastics come together, i'd cut behind it further onto the black housing and make my own seam. This way you may not have to paint a border on the lens to cover up the '****tyness' of the seperated melt joint. Hope that all makes sense... I'll post up some close ups in the daytime as well later today.
What you've said makes perfect sense. If you are interested in LED retrofits I suggest you check out www.hidplanet.com's LED section. Some very sexy retrofits there.