Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Picked Up an 04 Evo RS $8500

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked Up an 04 Evo RS $8500

Buddy of mine moved to NY and needed to get rid of his RS. It had some grinding in the gears and has 90k on the odometer. It was in very good condition and I only paid $8,500. Decent deal? It only had minimal mods its whole life.

Mods already on car:
Slotted front Rotors new brakes
ACT Clutch
ECU Flash
Filter
New Tires

Have since added:
3" Turbo back Exhaust
Forge RS BOV

Upgrades in Shop as I type (Kevin D has car now): Update: Now all installed plus 1350 Bluemax injectors, Fuel pump, ETS intake, MR Vortex and 8/9 wing (bought whole trunk so I can go back to wingless as needed.

Kevin D pulled Tranny it is and on it's way to Buschur for Buschwacker upgrade
Exedy Twin ordered today
LICP waiting to be installed
Ported Manifold
Upgraded o2 housing
Manual Boost controller
Tune

Last edited by Donkeypuncher; Jun 7, 2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

That's a very good deal. Nice find. Car looks great.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome deal!

Just send the trans out to shep or TRE and your set.

Im jealous to say the least.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
that's a steal man congrats...especially by buying from a friend instead of some jackass who didn't take care of the car. good choice in taking care of the tranny and clutch before they crap the bed on you...check ur transfer case too
Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Nice deal you got there. Now if only i can find one like that too

Aaron
Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by YogSaahoth
that's a steal man congrats...especially by buying from a friend instead of some jackass who didn't take care of the car. good choice in taking care of the tranny and clutch before they crap the bed on you...check ur transfer case too

Thanks everyone! Is the transfer case something that you can let break before you fix or is it best to just get it done? I know the Tranny can get worse but dont know much about the TC. The clutch had about 75K on it so I figured it needed to go and I was having disengagement issues at high RPM. I sent the tranny to Buschur because Shep was going to be about 4 imes the wait time.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a deal, a STEAL. Very ncie sir, VERRRRYYY nice.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
a deal, without a question - nice to see another RS in family.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great pick-up even if it needs a few things.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

i wish i could get a good deal like this!
Old Apr 9, 2010, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Donkeypuncher
Thanks everyone! Is the transfer case something that you can let break before you fix or is it best to just get it done? I know the Tranny can get worse but dont know much about the TC. The clutch had about 75K on it so I figured it needed to go and I was having disengagement issues at high RPM. I sent the tranny to Buschur because Shep was going to be about 4 imes the wait time.
the trasfer case is something every evo owner will deal with if they keep the car long enough. mine broke when the car was still stock, but i was 2nd owner and the guy before me modded the car and hurt the tc enough that it blew within a few months of me driving it. you'll know when/if you kill it...really loud whining from underneath the center console that gets louder as you climb rpm. as it gets really bad it will sound like a table saw as u get on and off throttle. if you have the $ and plan on keeping the car for a while and gaining power, its a good idea to have it built. it will cost u more to rebuild a broken tc than to rebuild a functioning one to not break in the first place. you mentioned KevinD was helping u with ur car...he's been around here for a long time, so he'll be able to point u in the right direction. there are also TONS of transfercase thread on here...if you want to learn more just search...have fun and welcome
Old Apr 9, 2010, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

oh and to clarify what i said in regards to rebuilding the tc...it would most likely cost about the same to build a functioning tc (reinforcing it so it wont break) as it would to rebuild a broken one, returning it to stock form...you'll just have to try not to break it again. see the difference? im getting my figures from sheptrans.com which is pretty much the standard in building drivetrain components
Old Apr 9, 2010, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by YogSaahoth
oh and to clarify what i said in regards to rebuilding the tc...it would most likely cost about the same to build a functioning tc (reinforcing it so it wont break) as it would to rebuild a broken one, returning it to stock form...you'll just have to try not to break it again. see the difference? im getting my figures from sheptrans.com which is pretty much the standard in building drivetrain components
It will cost alot more to rebuild a broken tc than to rebuild one in perferct working order.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Donkeypuncher
If the transfer case starts to whine you should replace it. I can last a week or a year when it starts but you won't really know. If it does break you may lock up all4 wheels.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

awsome deal... not too many 04 rs's around.... keep her clean

Quick Reply: Picked Up an 04 Evo RS $8500