Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Bring on the criticism!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bring on the criticism!!

I am trying to learn how to take some nice pictures and would greatly appreciate criticism and advice so I hope they aren't too bad. I am using a canon rebel xs with a wide angle lens and both Photoshop and Aperture for post editing.

Last edited by mullski; Jul 18, 2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:17 PM

I am just being critical here, I am not really liking any of these shots.

I think the second one is the best but I would follow the rules of thirds a bit better, the car is too far in the corner. It makes it a very awkward shot. But the car looks great in that shot.

Be careful with the lighting like on your first picture. The passenger light is very over exposed because of the angle of your shot. Also, try not to crop so tightly and remember to crop just enough. FWIW, i'd edit out your license plate on the last picture.

Keep going!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
car looks good!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

damn i was looking forward of having some overly critical stuff to say lol but car looks nice man. hmm..brakes look like crap but so do mine..and lose the license plate in the front!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Always be aware of your lighting situation. You have quite a few areas in your photos that are overexposed. The trees and other parts of the background are a bit blurry. And the colors could be a lot brighter in these pictures too, giving it more contrast. They kind of turned out bland. For just starting photography I wouldnt say these are bad, but they are a nice step to move on ahead with

Get familiar with your camera and lenses and what they can do. So around and just take a ton of shots of one thing and play around with the white balance, the iso, shutter speed and aperture. Get a feel for what each one does for a picture and adjust accordingly. There are quite a few web pages out there that explains each one so just read some of those over and go practice practice practice. You might find yourself filling up your memory card before you find that one keeper picture you love, that's alright. As long as you start to understand how those settings and the lighting gave you that picture you can learn off of it. Right now it's all about practicing and playing with the adjustments
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

thanks guys i am learning already didnt know what the rule of thirds was ha. I am taking pictures as the sun sets now so ill post up more later for more criticism
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Oh. and all the pics i used hdr in photoshop. I have seen some sick pictures with that and am trying to get on the bandwagon.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
love the white wheels dude
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

LoL I was expecting some hellaflush feature and was all excited. I love super wide wheels and stretched tires on any evo but my own Fun to look at.

Anyhow I guess youre asking for criticism or tips on photoshoot.....Cant really critique that field. As for your car everything is fine minus the tein stickers on rear windows.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

+1 remove the tein sticker and especially the teins if they're just springs.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Photo 1: Your car is black, the background is overcasted, hard to make out the outline of the car.

last bit of the back bumper is blocked. It is ok to not to frame the whole car, but its generally no pleasing to block out just the last bit off, giving the impression you didn't frame the picture well.

I will crop to about the center of the rear wheel, if I have this picture.

Photo 2:

Had your car face the top of the road, that would have been nicer. But your car is "getting away", from the scene, & the picture do not give the impression that the car is the the focus. In fact, it looks like the car is in the way of the picture!

The general rule for non centered subject is that the more of the background should be on the side the subject is facing, or moving towards.

See the picture below for a good example.

Another good example. Imagine the next instant, the car is going to be centered in the scene, hence giving a natural feel to the picture.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
it looks pretty good. it gives the evo a more sportier look.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Standing Z
Always be aware of your lighting situation. You have quite a few areas in your photos that are overexposed. The trees and other parts of the background are a bit blurry. And the colors could be a lot brighter in these pictures too, giving it more contrast. They kind of turned out bland. For just starting photography I wouldnt say these are bad, but they are a nice step to move on ahead with

Get familiar with your camera and lenses and what they can do. So around and just take a ton of shots of one thing and play around with the white balance, the iso, shutter speed and aperture. Get a feel for what each one does for a picture and adjust accordingly. There are quite a few web pages out there that explains each one so just read some of those over and go practice practice practice. You might find yourself filling up your memory card before you find that one keeper picture you love, that's alright. As long as you start to understand how those settings and the lighting gave you that picture you can learn off of it. Right now it's all about practicing and playing with the adjustments
Yeah I have no idea how to do good exposure and all that I just put things on different settings and play around. Thanks for the advice

Originally Posted by kiadaw
Photo 1: Your car is black, the background is overcasted, hard to make out the outline of the car.

last bit of the back bumper is blocked. It is ok to not to frame the whole car, but its generally no pleasing to block out just the last bit off, giving the impression you didn't frame the picture well.

I will crop to about the center of the rear wheel, if I have this picture.

Photo 2:

Had your car face the top of the road, that would have been nicer. But your car is "getting away", from the scene, & the picture do not give the impression that the car is the the focus. In fact, it looks like the car is in the way of the picture!

The general rule for non centered subject is that the more of the background should be on the side the subject is facing, or moving towards.

See the picture below for a good example.

Another good example. Imagine the next instant, the car is going to be centered in the scene, hence giving a natural feel to the picture.
Thanks for the great info and I get what you mean about losing the car in the background, but this is all I had for now so I decided to practice ha. The examples you gave are very nice and helpful thanks again!!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

Nice grass! LOL!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jimevo9PI
Nice grass! LOL!
not that kind of criticism

Quick Reply: Bring on the criticism!!