Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

emotart's quest for 10s!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emotart's quest for 10s!

I picked up an Evo last fall. The car was 100% BONE STOCK (not the easiest to find these days...) and I was content with it... for a matter of a week. I quickly found my way to No Limit Motorsports where I caught the mod bug. It started with a test... How much power can you make with very few mods. I made 320whp and 340wtq with very, very basic bolt ons (Drop in filter, Pump, DP, MBC and Tune). The next day my clutch started slipping and in went a clutch. I couldn't stop there, I got a catback off a friend and Manny (at NLM) made me a Coil On Plug kit. I thought this was the end, but it was merely the beginning...

I moved back to Chicago and quickly made some friends over at Strictly Modified (other than that Cisco kid... what a doucher... jk!) I had talked to them about a potential build I wanted to do and that brings us to today...

Before I get to far in I would like to give a BIG thank you to the guys at Strictly Modified, MAPerformance (especially Potter), Dodwell Autobody and KUNiiiZZZEEE Dial-IN. All their hard work and help is going to get the car in the 10s! Oh yeah, I'm trying to do this on the stock turbo....

The car was over at Strictly Modified today for my cams and will be back next week when some small things come in!

Hard at work...

I have a bunch more going on with the car in the next couple weeks from some porting work to tunes. I will update as more happens and will get videos of the days I will spend at the track. The first time I make it out to the track, I hope to make the stock turbo list (no it will not be my first time ever at the track...) and then I want to climb the list. If I can hit the 10 second mark this year (consistently not just once) the motor will come out for much BIGGER and FASTER things!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 08:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Emotart - Thank you for the kind words! We look forward to helping achieve your goals. See you soon.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice, good luck with the build man! Strictly Modified has been pumping out a bunch of quick stock block, stock appearing turbo cars over the past year...
Old Apr 1, 2011, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

looks good man!! Your car is in good hands See you around up there some time.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Kunal came out tonight to help put my 880cc injectors in and then do a base map since the IC, O2 and a few other things are yet to be installed, but the car pulls much harder and better with just the base map as opposed to my old tune. If all goes well hopefully I will be out at the track in a couple weeks to get a starting point for times!
Old Jun 28, 2011, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Some major updates....

After Strictly Modified couldn't figure out how to install an o2 housing (They said it wouldn't fit on my car without major modification, but it magically fit on my friend's car with no problem and no my car has not been in an accident) I will no longer be taking my car to them to pursue my goal of 10 seconds on a stock turbo. On top of that, Kunal disappeared from the face of the earth, so I approached Douglas Autoworks with my goals and they were happy to take on the project.

First step: Fix what all the others messed up... This is completed. The car is running better than ever with absolutely NO drivability issues. This was a big concern of mine, since the car has sat for a couple of months since it was returned to me from my previous sponsors....

Step 2: FMIC, o2 housing and more tuning. I am setting up times with Douglas Autoworks to get a few more things done before heading out to the track. I hope to be ready by early August as I will be out of town most of July.

I am excited yet again, since today is the 1st day in over 2 months I was able to drive my Evo!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 02:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by emotart
Some major updates....

After Strictly Modified couldn't figure out how to install an o2 housing (They said it wouldn't fit on my car without major modification, but it magically fit on my friend's car with no problem and no my car has not been in an accident) I will no longer be taking my car to them to pursue my goal of 10 seconds on a stock turbo. On top of that, Kunal disappeared from the face of the earth, so I approached Douglas Autoworks with my goals and they were happy to take on the project.

First step: Fix what all the others messed up... This is completed. The car is running better than ever with absolutely NO drivability issues. This was a big concern of mine, since the car has sat for a couple of months since it was returned to me from my previous sponsors....

Step 2: FMIC, o2 housing and more tuning. I am setting up times with Douglas Autoworks to get a few more things done before heading out to the track. I hope to be ready by early August as I will be out of town most of July.

I am excited yet again, since today is the 1st day in over 2 months I was able to drive my Evo!

Soooooooo are you implying the previous shop screwed up, if so how? What did SM say when you told them it came off a car easily.

Seems pretty drastic to just decide to deal with another shop entirely over a O2 housing.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 04:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Soooooooo are you implying the previous shop screwed up, if so how? What did SM say when you told them it came off a car easily.

Seems pretty drastic to just decide to deal with another shop entirely over a O2 housing.
I had bought the o2 housing used, so it came off of a car. They tried to install it and told me it needed major modification to fit and the price of the install would double. We decided to not use it and I ended up paying for an o2 install even though no o2 housing was installed. That kind of peeved me and then when my friend installed it on his car with no issues what so ever I got even more pissed. The o2 housing was a breaking point for me with SM. There is more to it than that... The car was returned to me with no coolant (I'm sure SM will be in here to deny that, but I had to put coolant in the car), there are some new scratches on the car (including a nice big 8" scratch across the front bumper) and I really don't feel like they were treating me as a sponsor car. I understand what it takes to build a car as I have built an S2000, STi (2 of them actually), SRT4 Neon, SRT4 Caliber and a few more... I am at at point where I would like to not wrench on cars and just enjoy them, SM took that part of it away from me for a while.

This is not a thread to bash anyone or start a fight. I was simply updating people on what is going on with my car.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

This reads more like a vendor bashing thread then a show and shine picture thread.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by binh
This reads more like a vendor bashing thread then a show and shine picture thread.
Someone asked a question and I answered it. I'm not bashing anyone but sharing my experience. If I truly wanted to bash someone I'd share everything not just bits of what happened... I feel that the car is in better hands end of story. I'm excited to get out tithe track soon!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

I won't press as I know what its like when you are just trying to keep it moving and not get involved in any E drama but GDamn dude the little you gave me was enough.

I haven't driven my car in 8 months so I feel your pain. Hopefully everything works out.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

^ Agreed.

I don't know a damn thing about SM and this is not pointed at them by any means, but knowing nothing else about the situation, and taking what you are saying at face value... if in anyway a shop/vendor gives me the idea they can't do it, are going to do it wrong, treat me in an unprofessional manner, or eff up my stuff... I am done working with them, and I'll move onto someone who I feel like wants to work on my project and values my business.

"Good shops" may not be a dime a dozen, but I know plenty of vendors on this forum who have a "good name" for their wrench work, but are completely unprofessional d-bags and I have stop giving them my business. On the flipside, I have worked with some utterly phenomenal shops/vendors that make you feel like they'll do whatever it takes to help you meet your goals. This isn't a one shop/vendor market and with the economy blowing nuts right now, there are less "fish" and a whole lot of hungry "sharks"... if you don't earn your meal, someone else will.

Oh and by the way... Good luck with your build!!

I am working on something very similar right now.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 08:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Emotart - You came to us with your goals and expectations for the car. The owner came out and spent hours and hours talking to you about your goals and how to achieve them. As a shop we gave you great pricing on both installs cams and O2 dump.

While not being a fan of that specific dump after seeing how people have installed them on previous customer cars we decided to install the dump to make you happy and not have to buy another dump even though we recommended which ones we use. After removing the factory O2 housing we fit up the dump, the holes on the dump have been ovaled out probably due to poor fitment on a previous car. So there was 2 options swivel the dump into the radiator or swivel it over the jpipe which covered about 1/3 of the j pipe outlet and force a coupler on the jpipe and wait for it to burn through the coupler.

As a shop we do not do this kind of work which is why we did not want to install this dump in the first place. So we gave his the option of welding him up a new dump outlet pipe where it would actually clear everything and fit properly. So that was refused and the stock dump was re-installed.

For Emotart to say we "couldn't figure out how to install an 02 housing" is humorous.
As far as the coolant i personally watched to tech bleed the cooling system for 20 min after completion and top it off so no idea where that is coming from. Claiming that we vandalized your car is a HUGE accusation! We would never vandalize anyone's car for any reason. It just seems to me that was thrown in there to spice this up a bit because i even talked to you on the phone a few days later and a scratch was never once mentioned to me and the car was pulled straight in and out. We have proven our selves in many ways and have many customer's that can vouch for our work.

Good luck with your quest on 10's we hope you accomplish your goals.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

How is this a Show'n'Shine thread?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Craig King
How is this a Show'n'Shine thread?
It's a build thread that has gotten a little off course. I made an update and 1 person and shop don't like it which took it off track. However your post doesn't really help either...

I will continue to update as I come closer to being track ready and then again once I make it to the track.