Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

99 Mirage -----> Evo 5 AWD conversion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2013, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there 3bar dc2, knowing you've already sold your ride long ago, not sure if youre still active or not on this forum but i have an important question to ask of you. I have the same project as you but mines an evo4, i'm having big trouble starting the car.
I've installed the walbro 255 fuel pump i plugged up the fuel tank harness into the mirage harness the blue/black wire & black wire matches up to the mirage harness but the car doesnt start at all plugged in this way, the fuel rail doesnt spit gas (one on the right side of the injectorsl)
I then swap the pins of the blue/black wire with the black wire, the fuel rail spits gas so i bolted the rail back up and the car fires up but it dies after awhile.

Do you have any clue whats going on? could iy be problems the slot that is to the left side of the tank? meaning the secondary pump? or what thats for
Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoHuy
Hi there 3bar dc2, knowing you've already sold your ride long ago, not sure if youre still active or not on this forum but i have an important question to ask of you. I have the same project as you but mines an evo4, i'm having big trouble starting the car.
I've installed the walbro 255 fuel pump i plugged up the fuel tank harness into the mirage harness the blue/black wire & black wire matches up to the mirage harness but the car doesnt start at all plugged in this way, the fuel rail doesnt spit gas (one on the right side of the injectorsl)
I then swap the pins of the blue/black wire with the black wire, the fuel rail spits gas so i bolted the rail back up and the car fires up but it dies after awhile.

Do you have any clue whats going on? could iy be problems the slot that is to the left side of the tank? meaning the secondary pump? or what thats for
It's kinda hard to tell without actually seeing what's going on. Is your fuel tank from a evo 5 or evo6? Does the fuel tank harness have 1 connector or 2? Make sure the black/blue wire is going to your power wire for the fuel pump. Also, check both fuel pump relays. If it's shutting off, it could be that one of the relays is bad.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Likely its dieing because of a reason other than fuel. If it starts flowing fuel its going to keep flowing. Its probably something with the idle.

Check your plugs for fuel foul.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:07 AM

Actually mines and evo4 tank it has 2 harness on the tank
*fuel tank unit sub is [ 123 ]
1 being red/white
2 has no wire
3 being yellow/blue (goes to main unit 5)

*fuel tank main is
[12]
[34]
[56]
1 being black
6 being black (splices into 1)
2 being black/blue (fuel wire)
3 being red/blue
5 being yellow/blue (goes to the sub unit 3)
4 has no wire

I've check the fuel pump relay #2 which is on the firewall
and it clicks when i turn the key to ON position, i heard thats how you suppose to diagnose it. But not too sure about fuel pump relay #1 where is that located?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:01 PM

Make sure that the black/blue wire has power when the key is in the ON position. The 3 wire connector is for the transfer pump in the saddle tank. The transfer pump harness and the fuel pump harness should merge to a connector by the bottom of the RH rear seat bottom.

The black/blue wire should be going to the fuel pump power. Fuel pump relay #2, along with the resistor, is on the firewall. You could try jumping the black/blue wire and the black/yellow wire and see what happens. Fuel pump relay #1 in behind the radio and mounted to the metal support next 2 a second relay. If this relay is bad, it could cause the issue you're seeing. Also, are there any codes? Could be a cam sensor as well.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 01:27 PM

Before i converted 4wd i was running the car FWD and everything fired up properly with no problems thats why i wouldnt think it would be the realy 1 or relay 2, then i started to figure it has to be something to do with the main fuel pump or the saddle tank. Then i swap the main pump and installed a walbro pump. Yea i think the black/blue fuel wire is properly connected also.

And i will check up on my relay 1. oh and another thing is the main pump harness pin6 is a thin ground wire that wire be getting hot as im trying to gas a little while keeping the car alive at idle.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 08:59 AM

Try jumping relay #2 to make sure that isn't the problem, but it's possible that relay #1 failed coincidently. How much gas do you have in the fuel tank? On the Evo4, is the fuel pump on the driver or passenger side of the fuel tank?

Also, make sure everything is okay with the fuel pump install. I've seen people have cracks on the fuel pump hat where the line on the pump connects to the hat. Or a split in the hose or a loose hose clamp on the hose between the fuel pump and hat. And you wouldn't know it was leaking since it's all happening inside the tank. I forget, but did you do a fuel pressure test already to see what's going on when it's running and suddenly dying?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 08:09 PM

tomorow is saturday so i'll finally have time to work on it
the main fuel pump is on the passenger side rear
im almost certain that evo456 is the same but not too sure if difference in wiring

Alright thats awesome man you've given me alots of info,
I'll give an update when i get the chance
first i'll check the relays, then i'll check the walbro fuel pump itself
i'll also have my neighbor help me out since he knows quite something about cars

Thanks alot 3bar dc2
Old Apr 26, 2013, 08:16 PM

oh and i have around 4 gallons in the tank
Old Apr 27, 2013, 07:31 AM

Not a problem. I'd definitely start with relays and checking the electrical. Also check fuel pressure and make sure everything is okay there. Since it ran fine before you did the awd and fuel tank swap, I would start here. Check voltage at the fuel pump connector with the key on and while the car is running and see what's going on.

The Evo6 fuel tank, which is what I had, is different that evo 4 and 5. My fuel pump was on the driver side. I like the 5 better since the fuel pump is on the same side of the filler neck, whereas the 6 tank needs the transfer pump to move the fuel to the driver side to be picked up.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:23 PM

Love these builds
Old May 8, 2013, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Stay tuned, the legend continues! This Evo 5 lives on! Much more modding underway

I now own this beast! One late night, I was browsing eBay for Evos, and came across this. Fortunately the owner after Sean (3bar dc2) had a link to this thread, which ultimately lead to countless hours of research pertaining to Mirage conversions. I had to learn more if we were to jump in and build a beast out of her. Ultimately, its a dream car Ive always wanted! I tried to import a rhd E5 almost 10 years ago. Almost couldnt believe it was for sale, had to be mine!

So my plans are pretty extensive. I want the best of both worlds; track killer, street killer. Maybe a lil show off as well. Quick recap of plans/goals:

Built motor, maybe 2.3L. Running FP Black. Built trans and tcase. All supporting mods
Spot weld frame, maybe not all of it. Def want engine bay welded
500+whp for drag, 2nd map detuned for track (mainly autox)
Full factory like paint job
Race events across US next year

The current condition:

The next owner, from NY, swapped 3bar's blown motor with a complete stock JDM E5 longblock. He did retain the original E7 intake manifold, that has upgraded map sensor and injectors. Still running speed density E85. Kept the same E9 turbo setup then added:

E5 Koyo radiator
Fujitsubo exhaust
modified E8 test pipe
Buschur ported/coated manifold
BC coilovers
New tires, new radio
Minor paint job/touch up

In the condition I got it in, there is still a few things that need to be done before even getting emissions. Need a cat converter, car is wayyy low, and exhaust is practically draggin the floor. Aside from that, already pickin up parts to upgrade or fix.

There is a lot of little things that need to be done. Trim panels to screw down, clean up, gauges to mount, bumper missing screws etc etc. Ima have time this weekend to go through the car more. One of the first things we started doing was going over every bolt, every screw. I build tight cars. I hate loose panels lol. Havent had much time thus far. But very soon.

I want to pick up the Fp Black to have a little fun this summer. I est the engine build to happen over next winter and be ready to race the following spring. I just dont have the time right now to indulge in a complete build. Nor the space. But will this winter!

Thats all I got so far. Shes stuffed in storage right now, waiting for parts. Once the little bits get in and can get emissions and tags, Ill post some new pics of her. For now, here is how she looked, just before the trip from NY to CO!

Old May 10, 2013, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

OMG I just came.... to this thread to be mesmerized!

I always wanted a 6 TME, but in Canada/Québec would be impossible to legally drive on the road.

This gives me an alternative, thought about this build but didn't know what was involved.

Thanks to the builder, I now know!

Kudos to the builder and to the new owner of this beauty/beast!
Old May 11, 2013, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by xmaster19
OMG I just came.... to this thread to be mesmerized!

I always wanted a 6 TME, but in Canada/Québec would be impossible to legally drive on the road.

This gives me an alternative, thought about this build but didn't know what was involved.

Thanks to the builder, I now know!

Kudos to the builder and to the new owner of this beauty/beast!
Soon buddy it will become 15 years old an I can import one the evo 5 is legal now, but I haven't seen one yet
Old May 11, 2013, 08:18 AM

Rich,

Car is looking good and I can't wait to see what you have in store for it. I need to quit coming onto EvoM lol. Every time I see a picture of the car, it bums me out. I regret selling it but it was necessary for the family. I'm just glad to see it going to good hands

Quick Reply: 99 Mirage -----> Evo 5 AWD conversion