Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

how do you slow down the trunk when you release it, i have a cf trunk

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2004, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do you slow down the trunk when you release it, i have a cf trunk

i have a cf trunk lid on my evo and when i pop the trunk i have to have someone standing there to catch it or the wing will slam into the rear windshield. is there anything i can do about this? if not then i will have to always have someone help me open my trunk.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

I believe you remove on of the springs or a component from the prying mechanisim so that when you pull your trunk lever it pops but it doesnt swing open.

Sorry I cannot be more specific. Mine is coming in 3 weeks and I read it somewhere on these posts.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

I've heard horror stories of people messing with trunk springs and breaking fingers and stuff if they accidentally let go. Be careful if you're messing with yours.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Most of the carbon or other composite trunks I've seen have the springs removed and used latches or pins (like hood pins). The RMR rally cars, Porsche race cars (on their engine cover), etc. all use pins or latches. The same thing goes for CF hoods - hood pins are a good idea even with the factory hood latch.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

For the trunk, its simple but dangerous. There are two compressed rods that connect the hinges together inside the trunk itself. What you have to do if u dont want it to fly up is to cut/remove one of the rods. Be careful, i haven't done this myself but i will have to once i install a wing on mines.