Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

alingment/axle question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alingment/axle question

Tore a axle boot on drivers side front, need to replace axle. Is their anyway to change the axle w/o messing up my alingment?? Or will I have to take out the 2 bolts attaching the hub to the shock, in essence throwing off my alingment? thanks
Old Jun 21, 2007, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

noone knows?
Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You do have to remove the shock from the hub, so that you can pull the hub off the axle and move it. With the amount of clutch jobs we have done however, nobody has ever said they needed to get the car realigned however. As long as you put the camber bolts back in the same way they were, you should be fine. They only go in two ways, so just make sure you mark them when you take them out. The camber isnt going to change that much, its either 1.5 or 1 and thats it.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

great thanks
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AfireINSIDE
Tore a axle boot on drivers side front, need to replace axle. Is their anyway to change the axle w/o messing up my alingment?? Or will I have to take out the 2 bolts attaching the hub to the shock, in essence throwing off my alingment? thanks
You will mess up the alignment if you remove the two strut bolts. The only way to do it without messing up your alignment is to lower the entire shock assembly from the top (the 3 bolts on your strut bar)
Old Jun 22, 2007, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

ok thats easy, could I also mark the bolt and their orentation with a paint pen and with a socket on one side and a wrench on another try and put it back? thanks now I just need to find a axle.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 05:25 AM
Evolving Member

wow, here is a way to do it without messing with your alignment.

Take out the nut and bolt that connects the lower control arm to the hub. Push down on the control arm and separate it from the hub. Loosen, but dont totally remove the three connecting the strut to the body. At that point you can probably get the axle out. If you still cant, take the tie rod end off of the hub.

You can totally remove the whole strut/hub assembly out of the car without touching those two bolts.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Markley02
wow, here is a way to do it without messing with your alignment.

Take out the nut and bolt that connects the lower control arm to the hub. Push down on the control arm and separate it from the hub. Loosen, but dont totally remove the three connecting the strut to the body. At that point you can probably get the axle out. If you still cant, take the tie rod end off of the hub.

You can totally remove the whole strut/hub assembly out of the car without touching those two bolts.
That's a lot more work than simply removing all three bolts connecting the assembly. Doing so will not throw off the alignment.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AfireINSIDE
ok thats easy, could I also mark the bolt and their orentation with a paint pen and with a socket on one side and a wrench on another try and put it back? thanks now I just need to find a axle.
You can mark them if you want but when you bolt it back up you'll see that there really isn't any movement or adjustability.