Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Front control arms

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front control arms

Hey all!

Im in the process of correcting the last owners screw ups. When I got the car it was "slammed" and the coilovers were all kinds of jacked up.

I have gone back to the stock size tire, set the springs back to zero preload, and raised the car back to 14 inches in the front and 13.25 in the rear (measured from the center of the wheel to the fender).

Now my question is after all of that the front control arms are still upward facing. By raising the car it caused the rear to become level. But how do I get the front one to level out as they are supposed to be? I don't see any adjustment on them.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 05:14 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
There is no adjustment of the front lower control arm, other than through the coilover height adj

Wondering why there was so much pre-load on the c/o spring? Why wasnt the height adj made through the lower threaded barrel of the c/o?

Youre 14" measurement is very close to where Im set at
Old Apr 29, 2017, 05:25 AM

Re

The last guy who had the car used the springs to lower the front instead of the lower collar. In the rear for some reason they added a ton of preload. I think in an attempt to lower it. It had 1 inch smaller tires on it too. It was pretty bad!

When people talk talk about the control arms being level is that in the ground or jacked up? Mine are level when it's jacked up lol.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 05:35 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The control arms should not be angled up when youre on the ground.

So the front springs have been changed to a lower spring. Which c/o is it?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 05:53 AM

They are Tein Super Streets. I'm wondering if he swapped the front and back springs? IIRC they're different rates. Would that have an effect?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 06:13 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by cplillges
They are Tein Super Streets. I'm wondering if he swapped the front and back springs? IIRC they're different rates. Would that have an effect?
Im pretty sure c/o springs are of the same height front to back. The diff would be in the rates.

The EvO prefers to have the higher rate spring in the back

Have you driven it since you raised the ride height? You will certainly need an alignment. Wondering what the camber settings are at?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 06:18 AM

I set the camber to the -1 position all the way around. The camber was super out of whack when I got it. One of the camber bolts was installed in the bottom lol. I haven't driven it due to another issue. Once it's drivable I plan to get an alignment cuz it needed one before the changes I made. I'll measure the height of the springs today to see if they are the same. I am pretty sure they are also but I'll double check.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Basically stock evos are at that level lower control arm. Which is around 1-1.5" higher still than what you're set at. Its just the name of the game that when an evo is lowered that arm drops quickly below level.

Many cars have been made plenty fast right around the ride height your sitting at. And there are ways to fix the roll center, but considering the suspension that's on the car the price of entry wouldn't be enticing or even worth it.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:47 PM

So would you recommend a roll center kit? From where it was to now is a dramatic difference. I just want it to be correct.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:55 PM
EvoM Guru

No, I don't recommend the RCK unless you have bad ball joints and need to replace them. They only correct 5mm which is basically unperceivable.
Old May 2, 2017, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas J
No, I don't recommend the RCK unless you have bad ball joints and need to replace them. They only correct 5mm which is basically unperceivable.
So you don't recommend doing anything? They don't angle up to the knuckle by much.
Old May 2, 2017, 02:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Their are several bolt on solutions now for uprights/knuckle that have 2+ inches of correction but they start around $2k per set and go up from there. I have the ones I sell (you can see pics of them from the motorsports section in some of my threads). But even as someone who makes them, its not what you should worry about changing first.

I would say get a decent set of coilovers on the car with 10k/10-12k spring like Ohlins or maybe the FA510s. That's your biggest limitation right now.

You can certainly go crazy like me if you like, but best bang for your buck will be replacing Teins (after tires obviously...).

Front control arms-latzpql.jpg
Old May 2, 2017, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the info!
Old May 3, 2017, 08:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I second Dallas. Your ride height is appropriate. Better coilovers and tires should be your concern as of now.