Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Wavetrac vs 1-way vs 1.5 way front diff experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Probably 1000 street miles actually.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by SWOLN
Probably 1000 street miles actually.
yikes. what fluid? was it break-in? is it making noises?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 09:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Is that a brand new diff? Was it changed at 500 miles?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Not a new diff, like 4 years old. Makes all the wrong noises for less than 5000 miles, and yes it was broken in properly, and then Mitsu rear diff fluid was used with slip lock. I think it was just the extra power that I was making, without upgrading the fluid to something a little thicker tbh. Around 650-ish. I'm thinking I'll just buy another one.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Gotcha. I'd definitely send it back to Jon. Curious as to what happened.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 05:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
I've got a Wavetrac front diff with Shep 12 plate rear diff. On track the car handles awesome, granted I haven't been on anything tight like hairpins yet. Autox isn't much fun, but I think most of that is due to the suspension being way too stiff, lifts wheels in most tight corners and results in tons of plowing.

I've previously thought about moving to a 1 way diff in the future but I honestly don't think it'd make worlds of difference on a car like mine that's setup for the track. For autox I can definitely see it being beneficial but with most tracks being much less tight and with how well the rear locks on my car already I don't think the benefits outweigh the cost and rebuild interval for something like a Cusco.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 06:10 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
I've got a Wavetrac front diff with Shep 12 plate rear diff. On track the car handles awesome, granted I haven't been on anything tight like hairpins yet. Autox isn't much fun, but I think most of that is due to the suspension being way too stiff, lifts wheels in most tight corners and results in tons of plowing.

I've previously thought about moving to a 1 way diff in the future but I honestly don't think it'd make worlds of difference on a car like mine that's setup for the track. For autox I can definitely see it being beneficial but with most tracks being much less tight and with how well the rear locks on my car already I don't think the benefits outweigh the cost and rebuild interval for something like a Cusco.
I always thought AX cars had the stiffer suspension. I run soft (road course) rates and just can't keep up, in slaloms, with the AX guys at the events I go to.
And I think we all tripod our cars, regardless. That's just Evo
Old Oct 18, 2017, 07:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
I always thought AX cars had the stiffer suspension. I run soft (road course) rates and just can't keep up, in slaloms, with the AX guys at the events I go to.
And I think we all tripod our cars, regardless. That's just Evo
I've got 10k/12k springs. I suppose it's pretty common for evos. But yea, LIFT ALL THE WHEELS
Old Oct 18, 2017, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

there's a lot of great clubs in the chicago area -w hich event did u attend
Old Oct 18, 2017, 08:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
there's a lot of great clubs in the chicago area -w hich event did u attend
For autox or track?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

For autox or track?
autox
Old Oct 18, 2017, 08:40 PM
EvoM Guru

autox
All the autox I've done in the evo was either in MI or down in STL. I've run with a couple groups in the chicagoland area in my old 135i. Only group I can remember was Salt Creek, been a few years since I've done an autox in that area.

I've owned miatas for a few years now and just did my first autox in one last month lol. From here on out I'll probably use the miata for autox and the evo for the track.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

All the autox I've done in the evo was either in MI or down in STL. I've run with a couple groups in the chicagoland area in my old 135i. Only group I can remember was Salt Creek, been a few years since I've done an autox in that area.

I've owned miatas for a few years now and just did my first autox in one last month lol. From here on out I'll probably use the miata for autox and the evo for the track.
which clubs in STL? I'm actively involved in SCCA down here.

Never heard of salt creek, but chicago scca & tsscc both put on some really good events. none of the tight **** you'd see at like windy city miata club
Old Oct 19, 2017, 08:58 AM
EvoM Guru

which clubs in STL? I'm actively involved in SCCA down here.

Never heard of salt creek, but chicago scca & tsscc both put on some really good events. none of the tight **** you'd see at like windy city miata club
Can't remember what club. I was with a bunch of Mazda buddies, it was hosted at Gateway Motorsports back in August. Was a pretty fun course til I toasted a rod bearing
Old Oct 19, 2017, 09:34 AM
EvoM Guru

I've got 10k/12k springs. I suppose it's pretty common for evos. But yea, LIFT ALL THE WHEELS
That's definitely more of an "all around" spring rate setup (I have the same on my Ohlin's). Most dedicated track guys you'll see running stiffer, like 12k/14k. Autocross guys have been known to go even stiffer..

Quick Reply: Wavetrac vs 1-way vs 1.5 way front diff experiences?