Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Conti Extreme or Toyo Proxies S4?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2004, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i took my advans off the second i got home from the dealer and put on conti extreme contacts, 19k miles on em and they still are as good as new. They are great in the hellish Cleveland winters as well.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

I have the toyo s4 and they did pretty well in the small amount of snow we get in the south. I give thema thumbs up.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

I ran the Conti Contact Extremes last winter and decided to not pull them off in the spring due to some dirt road adventures I had planned for the summer. I have continued to run them all summer, and now into fall 12k miles so far. Wear has been excellent, noise has been low. Obviously they are not as good when it comes to handling as the advans, they not even comparable. But, they are good tires and perform well for what they are designed to do which is provide an all around good tire hence the all season rating. They do work awesome in sluch and snow. They provide the perfect amount of grip in the snow with an awd car. Enough grip that you can go anywhere, but enough ability to slip so that you can still have fun when you want to.

Last edited by smackdaddy; Oct 27, 2004 at 07:08 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got some toyo's bout 2 weeks ago , on the way home it way crazy slick not very happy with them. After 150-200 miles the toyo's are alot better . The thing that really impressed me was how much wieghts had to be used or i should say the lack of , all the tires/rims needed less than .75 oz and one tire didnt need any weights . btw i got 255/40/17 and pretty happy with them .
Old Oct 27, 2004, 09:37 AM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
Just cause one individual had bad luck with the Conti doesn't mean its garbage. If its one thing that's hardest to deal with its drivers coming down from a high performance based tire and into a winter or all season tire, driving it like a summer tire, then mad cause it didn't perform well. Even worse the tire gets a bad rap for it. You can't expect an all season tire to perform anywhere near a summer tire. I don't know how to better pound that into peoples gords. You buy snow/all season tires to get you thru the snow, not to take your off ramps at 70 like the Advans.

The Conti's job in the EVO world isn't auto-x or drifting. Its there to provide the best level of snow traction without moving to a dedicated snow tire. And it does that quite well. Many many EVO owners have had great luck with this tire and use them season after season. If you want to sacrifice snow traction for better handling move to the Pilot Sport A/S, or Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S.

Thats a performance summer tire. Will do zip, zero, nada in temps below 30 and/or snow conditions.

OH i know....i just was sayin its a bad *** tire and get ws-50 blizzaks for winter...lol