Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Winter tire advice...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2004, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter tire advice...

I've read the Tire Rack reviews and searched this forum for the "best" winter tire. But it seems no one else on EvoM has my problem.

I live in the mountains. It's a 45 degree angle to climb the road out of my drive, and just as steep down the hill. But it snows very rarely.

I don't want to put full snows on and ruin the dry traction (and fun) the 99% of the time it's not snowing, but I'm afraid with just performance M+S tires I won't be able to negotiate the grades around here.

Any help from someone with experience in these matters?
Old Oct 29, 2004, 05:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I see a few needs here that are clashing. Your want the best snow traction, but don't want to sacrifice handling and don't want to go with a winter tire. But also afraid if you don't go with a winter tire it wont get you thru the nasty weather. You have to pull from one area to get better performance in another. Its either sacrifice snow/ice traction and go with a better handling all season tire, or sacrifice handling and have the best snow/ice traction with a winter tire.

Personally, if I lived in a curvy/hilly area that had the potential for lots of snow fall, I'd be more concerned with safety over handling. The best all season tire we carry in snow is the Conti Extreme Contact.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 07:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I have the perfect tire for you... a lot of people used the Contential Extreme Contact tire around here, during the winter last season (in Wisconsin), and it works WONDERFUL in bad areas, and even in deep snow when need to. It's an all season tire, so it still sticks fairly good in the dry and warmer temperatures too.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic...wall=Blackwall
Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:12 AM

How about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. It seem to be a good compromise.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Great in dry and clear days, but not really designed for deeper, harsher conditions. Works well in urban areas.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:15 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GenerAznX
How about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. It seem to be a good compromise.

I have these for winter. They are good in the dry and yet have very respectable wet and snow traction. They are not cheap but I have been very pleased with them.

Last edited by JTB; Oct 29, 2004 at 11:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old Oct 30, 2004, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
I see a few needs here that are clashing. Your want the best snow traction, but don't want to sacrifice handling and don't want to go with a winter tire. But also afraid if you don't go with a winter tire it wont get you thru the nasty weather. You have to pull from one area to get better performance in another. Its either sacrifice snow/ice traction and go with a better handling all season tire, or sacrifice handling and have the best snow/ice traction with a winter tire.

Personally, if I lived in a curvy/hilly area that had the potential for lots of snow fall, I'd be more concerned with safety over handling. The best all season tire we carry in snow is the Conti Extreme Contact.
Thank you for the advice. Where I live it is very curvy and hilly, but rarely snows. This combination is the reason I'm having trouble deciding. I also have a four wheel drive vehicle with snow tires on it, so I don't have to depend on the Evo to get around. I do appreciate your input, and will consider the Contis.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

i got the dunlop m3 winter sports or whatever... i have heard nothing but good things about htem... neal what do you personally think?
Old Oct 30, 2004, 01:58 PM

I was looking at 2 tires, Kumho ASX and Pirelli PZero Nero. Not sure if i want to save money or just go all out. From my understanding the ASX are a great budget tire where it doesnt get any better than the PIrellis for all season, correct?
Old Oct 30, 2004, 01:59 PM

I had the bridgestone lm22s on my tt quattro. Worked GREAT in snow, slush, deep snow, and not bad in the rain, a little soft in dry. I have the same problem, not always that much snow here, but my driveway is really bad. Long, windy, and steep, and rutted so the plow guy hates it. But I drive a lot of miles so I don't want to worry about wear in the dry. What with for a pure snow tire is recommended for stock? For higher power cars? I just don't want to break traction halfway up my driveway in deep snow. Last time that happened my friend TOTALED his jeep.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 02:15 AM
Evolving Member

I want to thank everyone for their input.

Yesterday I got a set of Pirelli PZero Neros. I went for the better dry traction since it snows so rarely and I want to have fun when it's dry.

I can tell that the turn in is a little less crisp and there's less tramlining with the PZeros. They are amazingly less noisy and more comfortable of a ride.

I checked the Advans; at 8000 miles, they are at 4/32s; perfect for next year's autocross season!
Old Nov 8, 2004, 08:30 AM

Dunlop Winter M3

My Dunlop Winter M3's should arrive from the Tirerack warehouse this week; I'll post my impressions.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Hey All,

I purchased the KA3s and ContiExtremes from Tire Rack and just put them on over the weekend. There is no snow here yet but the dry weather performance is really good. They are not quite the Advans but still pretty grippy!

The best part about these tires I have noticed so far is the improvement in ride quality!!! Surfaces that I could feel every little bump in have really smoothed out. Road noise has also gone down.

With all the positive feedback I have seen from people on the ContiExtremes I am confident that snow will not be a problem. I'll provide more feedback as the white stuff actually hits the ground. Everything has been so far.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 02:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Glad to hear all arrived and performs well! Let me know if you need anything else
Old Nov 9, 2004, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also got the Dunlop M3s from TireRack. Just debating on when to put 'em on, snow in the forecast for Colorado coming up... The Advans have about 15k on them, and showing enough wear to where I don't know whether or not to even put them on again.