Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Please HELP!... :-(

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2001, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Claudius

Sorry, I meant the sports ECU that controls the ACD! As mentioned by SuperLancer, it appaers that on a 7 it makes the AYC behave a lot better. I don't think it is available for the 6. I finally tried a 6 with the AYC and it seems to me to be very crude compared with the 7. I can now understand why you hate it so much. If the new ECU does everything that SuperLancer claims, it will save me a lot of money as it only costs £380. I hate to think how much the Cusco diff would cost.

If it does work, thats lots more money to be spent on.........now, let me think - brakes, cams, head, shocks, etc.

Surely Julian should be awake by now. He obviously hasn't got his priorities right. If he had his email on, he could have been awaken by alerts all night
Old Dec 12, 2001, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Yep, the diffs look the business, although the suspension is the first thing that should be upgraded, especially the dampers!! The standard ones are very poor and on a par with almost any production car. Once you have the right suspension you can REALLY enjoy the bad function of the driving aids, meaning that you really feel that the car can take a lot more than the AYC lets you do. As far as the video it has to be remembered that it's a promotional video and I don't think they wanted to have their diffs look bad. Not saying they aren't good, but I don't think it's the diffs alone which made all that difference.
Old Dec 12, 2001, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Okay,
So you can better advise me, I use the car only for tarmac track use. Unfortunately it is not street legal here in PR, so I can't drive it on the street. Also, my current spring rates are way harder at the rear shocks than the fronts, something like 600lb/in rears and 300lb/in fronts. I'm not sure of those numbers but I'll check and let you know. I have disconnected the front sway bar. Right now the car, as I turn into a curve over-steers but as soon as I accelerate it understeers again. I have installed a RalliArt front LSD, and the rear diff is supposed to have an LSD from the factory, although when the car is on a lift and I turn one tire the tire on the other side turns the other way, instead of the same way as it should with an LSD. I also read of different center diff torque distributions helping understeer, what do you think?

Thanks again for answering so fast....
PS. Remember that when you guys are awake surfing the net, I'm sleeping because of the time zone difference.

Julian Gutierrez
ICQ#: 33355260
Old Dec 12, 2001, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

By the way, exactly what ohlins suspension is the one you say is best? The 46HRC rally? Is that suspension for tarmac use? Also what would the price be in US dollars? I don't remember how to convert from british pounds to American dollars. Anyway, I sent onlins and proflex emails to see what they recomend.

Thanks,
Julian Gutierrez
Old Dec 12, 2001, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Don't know about Öhlins specs and your car seems to do exactly the opposite of all the Evos I've heard of!! Usually the Evo understeers into the corner and oversteers on throttle. What Evo do you have exactly? Your settings with very hard springs in the back must have something to do with it and why did you disconnect the sway bar?!? I assume that's what we call the anti-roll bar here in Europe. Your car has very un-evolike dynamics, I'm very interested in what you've done exactly cause you seem to have reversed the handling of an Evo in corners.
Old Dec 12, 2001, 04:41 PM

In addition to Michaelk's questions, do you have any strut braces and what camber settings are you running? Have you upgraded any of the suspension bushes? What is the reason you ended up with the spring rates you have? Was this a case of trial and error or is this what you were sold? Sorry for so many questions but like Michael, I am really interested in what is going on with your car.
Old Dec 12, 2001, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

Okay let me explain everything I have done to the suspension.
I replaced all the bushings with RalliArt stiffer bushings. I replaced the stock suspension with the LEDA coil-overs. I really don't remember the spring rates, I am sure the rears are stiffer than the fronts but not the numbers. I'll check this weekend when I go home from college. I race with DOT approved soft-compound tires. Either Hoosiers or Kumho victoracers. Hoosiers have 0 tread wear, and kumhos have 40. I have installed a fron RalliArt LSD, HKS front camber plates. Front strut tower brace reinforced with the fire wall, rear strut tower brace. There is a place here in PR where they can get me the HKS coil-over suspension, but I noticed none of you recommended it, any thoughts on it?

keep helping, and we will fix this problem!!.. thank you very much!!...
Julian Gutierrez
Old Dec 12, 2001, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

I was running almost 4 degrees of camber up front and 2 in the rear. For my last race I took that down to 2.5 degrees up front and 1.5 in the rear. The spring rates that came with the car were different than what I'm running now. A was adviced by the people that work on an evo6.5 in ths SCCA prorally series, in the US, to change to stiffer settings in the rear and softer fronts. This has me really frutrated. And my car came with the weird handeling from the factory. I raced it first with the original suspension, only fitting the sticky tires and it was dangerous and scary. Too hard to control. Then with the LEDAS it improved but kept understeering. Next year my category will be very competitve so I need to get this sorted out. Thanks for your advice guys, keep it up.

Julian Gutierrez
Old Dec 13, 2001, 02:30 AM
Evolving Member

Hi!

I use gr.n proflex on the evo v rs, with 57kg springs front and rear 48kg.
The gr.n suspensions are completely adjustable so you have to try a lot of different settings that can change reactions.
I have tryed Claudius evo with the ohlins and they are really good!

I don't know the tyres u are using but you should try some bridgestones semi slicks or yokohama a032r, and reconnect the sway bar!!!

The settings also change a lot, Try 2.5 each side for the front and 1.0 at rear each side and maybe you can also try to toe out a little bit the rear wheels.

For the suspension you can buy some gr.n proflex at around 4000usd
or gr.n ohlins at 7000usd.
The hks should not be bad, but I don't know if they are single tube or bi tube, if they are bi tube don't buy them, DMS are better.
Old Dec 13, 2001, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

I am running my front alignment at 1/16 of an inch toe out at each side for 1/8 of an inch total. Remember here we measure in inches. The rear I run at 1/16 of an inch toe in at each side, making 1/8 of an inch total. At my last race I was suggested to run toe out at the back, but taht was after the race, so next time I go to practice I'll try that. The tires I run, kumhos anb hoosiers are softer than those yokohamas. I will speak with my father, who manages the team and the sponsor money, to see which suspension he believes is best, for the price.

Claudius, could you send me pictures of the suspension setup you have for sale? Along with pricing, in USD if posible.
Maxi, thanks for your suggestions.

Julian Gutierrez
Old Dec 15, 2001, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Claudius,

It seems I have been tuning my suspension all wrong. I was told that running my suspension harder in the back would cause the car to shift more of its weight to the rear wheels therefore improving the handeling of a nose heavy car. It looks like this isn't true. When I replace my LEDA suspension, of which I have already damaged two front struts, I will try your suggestions with my new setup. It seems the LEDAs are only for street use. Anyway, I still don't know what brand of suspension I will purchase, I need a brand where I can get customer-support for the setup.

Thank you very much,
Julian Gutierrez