Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Blizzaks installed...WHEELS RUINED!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2004, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
exact

same thing happened to me last year - LM22's too

I just had the dealership redo all of the wheels European Silver (remember there is no clean way of pulling those weights off of the OE wheels (Ithink))

Last edited by meanmud; Dec 3, 2004 at 08:01 AM.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had my winter tires mounted and balanced. Went to a private shop in town (not a chain) with the best equipment (specializing in high end European cars). Not a scratch on the wheels. They also roadforce balance each wheel in two planes and adjust for any runout error in the tires and wheels. I think the machine is the top of the line Hunter. After everything was mounted up they bagged my Advans, put them in the trunk and back seat. Washed the car inside and out. I talked with the head guy and he gave me some tips for the best track days at my local tracks. He's an avid roadracer. I can't give them enough kudos for the service and attitude. I'd reccomend them to anyone in SE Wisconsin.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

I had that happen to me and they bought me new wheels. It was about $2200 for all four. They did however forget to put air in my tires when they gave it back to me. I did not notice it for a couple days and when I asked them about it they did not want anything to do with me any more. Also my parents got a new set of tires from them a month after my ordeal and they forgot to put air in their tires as well.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Man - I went through this same deal with the lip scratching. The shop ended up refinishing the wheels and even saved the silkscreened (!) Enkei logos. It only took about three months, but they're good as new.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

I wonder if they will buy u some aftermarket wheels as replacements.. I to had some scratches on mine but didnt really care.

I've heard the Advan sidewalls are REALLY stuff and hard to get off. I now take my car to a shop that know's how to unmount/mount a performance tire.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 04:18 AM
Evolving Member

As wingnut said, its all about the equipment. Most shops have the regular style tire mounting machine. And as said, the side walls on the Advans are VERY stiff, the LM-22's are very stiff as well. The most I've seen in a winter tire. To mount stiff tires the expensive mounting machine is needed and most shops try to do without it and as a result we get screwed.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 04:25 AM
Evolving Member

Yup...last year it was either at costco or NTB....but my wheels got alll scratched up... at NTB it was this 50+ year old man doing my tires and he broke out in a huge sweat and had prolly the most horrible time getting off my tires lol...

They ended up scrached from him I think as he had to take a big crowbar and peel the tire off the wheel...they werent too bad so i didn't complain...sinec I prolly ruined that guys day ....and back.
Anywho, they had this niec 1 year alignment thing for like 130 bucks and I went back and raped them with it 3 times for alignments so it evens out :P I dont think its over yet...so i'll prolly go bug them again ^__^...this time i'll make them align my car with me sitting in it...:0

Anywho..point is... LM22 and stock advans are a ***** to get off lol.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Before you mount and balance I'd call and ask if they use this quality of hardware:

http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/ti...814T/index.htm

http://www.gsp9700.com

I'd also consider calling some higher end shops. The one I went to specializes in Porsches, BMWs, Italian vehicles, etc.. They typically don't service much else but my car had everyone in the shop take a look. Of course it's not as pretty as their usual customers' vehicles but they were all car guys and appreciated it.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

yea def summer wheels, ur actually pretty lucky cause i work in a tire shop and if we ever do nething to a wheel usually we just give them new wheels and get the old ones back or we actually send them off to get refinished so, so yea the situation suck, but u should be able to come out nice on it
Old Dec 7, 2004, 01:44 PM

Same exact thing happened to me when my LM-22's were installed. (STS= )

I just decided to use these as winter wheels and get a set of summer wheels. I was going to get my wheels powdercoated, but I heard this causes structural weakening from the heat used to melt the coat. Maybe i'll just get them painted.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Just cleaned my rims today after getting Kumho Ecsta ASX's mounted last week and a few days of snow and slush. Two of my rims have scratches in them right to the metal in a perfect circle on the flat part of the rim just inside the lip. Going to Tires Plus tomorrow to show them. Hopefully I'll have some luck in getting them fixed.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

I work in the wheel/tire business. If they offer it, do the righteous thing and take their offer, make sure they POWDERCOAT them, not paint. Pick a color, powdercoat them. It'll cost as much if not less than painting.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

vicbdn, if it was Costco, you should have had new wheels.

And Im going out on a limb, and I can prove it in no uncertain terms. I can get a stock advan off as easy as 85% of the tires we do in my shop.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by MVEOVA
Now my dilemma is, do i refinish the stock wheels and take the rest of the money and by another mod or, do I suck up the mad curb rash on my enkei's, keep them as winter wheels, and use the money to by new wheels for the summer? Something like the TDR wheels? What do you guys think I should do? Thanks
That's exactly what you do...now you have your set of winter wheels/tires (who cares about the rash) and you buy a sweet set of summer wheels with the dough...$1200 will buy a nice set of Gram Lights or will cover most of a set of Volks
Old Dec 9, 2004, 09:14 PM

How did you get them to go for $300 a rim for repair??

Quick Reply: Blizzaks installed...WHEELS RUINED!!!