Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire Rack SUCKS!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No doubt it's the best place due to their high volume, and I've ordered from them for years, but when stuff like this slips through the cracks and the best I can get is a "oops, sorry I made you jump through hoops, but that's your friggin problem, not mine", I have to take it elsewhere. Not because they screwed up, but because of the way they handled it.

I have my own business and if I did that to my customers, I wouldn't have a business.
That's something that buttonpushers don't get and don't care. I bust my *** for every cent that I make and don't need to give it to a company that treats their customers like that. I'd rather pay a little more and not have to chase around UPS drivers.

They had over a week to make it right and I didn't get a response or followup call from Neil or anyone in customer service in that time. If they don't care enough to return a phone call, they don't need my business. I'm just making sure everyone on here knows that they don't need it.

Last edited by 4G63>OOOO; Dec 15, 2004 at 07:30 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

dude...think about how many orders are processed through the tire rack within a two hour window? UPS leaves empty tractor trailers and they are filled as orders are pulled and processd, your order was probably put in promptly by your salesperson, it was sent to the warehouse, pulled, and filled in one of many filling UPS trailers. Not tire rack's fault at all, their system worked smoothly, your tires shipped as you ordered......incorrect. Now the rest was totally in UPS' hands. Call tags are sent just like a ground packages. My experience has been great from the Tire Rack! Yes, we are all human, and the customer has the responsiblity of ordering the correct parts. If time was the real issue here....then the addage, your lack of preparation does not constitute an emergency for the salesperson, seems to apply here.... You are one of thousands ordering from TR everyday......get over it.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Tire Rack losing one customer = oh well we will try to do better but gained two more new customers during the process. Still happy!

Customer losing one of the best place to order = damn this really sucks now I have to find another vendor, whose service might be half that of Tire Rack. Bitter!
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:41 PM

Ya...you focked up...get over it and move on
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry about your experience, but I've had excellent luck working with Tire Rack over the years on both personal and professional levels. When I was at www.edmunds.com I was in charge of the one-year test fleet of vehicles so when replacement tires needed to be ordered I always went through Tire Rack. That pattern continues to this day with my current position at Motor Trend magazine.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see this thread has reached its bitter end, so I'll indulge myself in a rare off topic

I do prefer the brick-and-mortar shops as opposed to the online shops personally. Thats where America's Tires/Discount Tires/discounttiredirect.com has a clear advantage in my eyes. The brick-and-mortar shop (America's Tires) will match TireRack (with shipping added) or their own online price (free shipping) for any given tire, and you get a good deal on installation since they are making the business from the tires, along with free lifetime balance and rotation. I think TireRack would do well to investigate the brick-and-mortar option to expand its marketshare.

That doesn't however detract from TireRack's obvious good reputation and speedy delivery of the product with a very competitive price. It appears they execute their business model extremely well. It's all personal preference in the end. I still don't see the merit in the original or follow up posts by 4G63>0000 though, other than yes sometimes situations suck and it's nice to vent.

Long live America and the free market economy!
Old Dec 15, 2004, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
That pattern continues to this day with my current position at Motor Trend magazine.
Doesn't hurt when they're an active advertiser either.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 04:06 AM
Evolved Member

All I know is that when one of my subcontractors drops the ball, it's my problem, not my client's. I shouldn't have to call customer service for a week and a half to get a resolution to a simple problem.

Needless to say, I'm ordering 2 sets of snow tires from another vendor today because of the way that they handled the situation.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I usually agree with the customers always right attitude, including here...however, it doesnt seem like they screwed up in the first place, sounds more like a UPS screw up...We've all had that from UPS before at some point. I've ordered several sets of tires/rims from tirerack before and never had a problem worth complaining about. They system they have is all computerized for efficiency, and as much as I hate to say it, you do deserve some responsibility for waiting until the last minute to order tires and ordering the wrong ones to begin with. Also, how do you plan on fitting 15's around the brembos? Is it for another car?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 08:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63>OOOO
Neal,
I called you with the change no more than 2 HOURS after placing the order. You informed me that you could not get me a tracking number yet, indicating that they had not been put on a truck yet. Now let me get this straight, a package can make it onto a truck without you receiving a tracking number?
Correct. Tracking numbers are not given for an order until its left the warehouse and logged in by UPS. This does not mean they are not on a truck yet. Your tires were in the semi trailer as well as hundreds of other orders before and after it. I don't expect you to realize the volume of orders we have every day but I'm sure you can do the math since your order was beyond the point of no return in less than two hours.

Fact of the matter is, you could have called and changed the order, but you didn't. Having a lack of communication between sales and shipping like this is just unacceptable in my opinion and this was the last straw for me.
If me or my customer service department would have been able to stop your order we would have done so. I think this has been made clear by more than just myself. Last thing we want is to inconvenience the customer.

Truth be told, you were too comfortable in your office to pick up the phone and tell the warehouse what to change. You didn't return any of my 6 phone calls or voicemails after the fact and customer service didn't do anything until I talked to the 6th rep 2 days ago. No returned phone calls, pm's or e-mails. You did nothing to help me and if it wasn't for me calling back 2x a day, I'd still be stuck with these things.
This is the one I like. I don't drive just under a hundred mile round trip to come here an delete voicemails and ignore customers every day. If that's what you think, well, your sorely mistaken. We wouldn't still be in business after 30 years if that's the kind of people we hire. There are hundreds of tasks we as sales reps perform every day. I sometimes work a 13 hour shift in order to answer all the emails and phone calls I get. Not asking for sympathy, just stating the facts. I did all I possibly could to help your order. Its up to customer service to help with delivery, credits, order tracking, credit card info etc etc especially on reships or returned items.

Call tags or no, it was TIRE RACK'S responsibility to talk to UPS and make sure they picked them up. You dropped the ball on this, not me.
To turn around and blame me for your customer service department not following through with UPS is simply ridiculous.
As my customer service department and myself have already stated, we told UPS to send the tires back to us. We also told you to refuse shipment on the tires, which you did and that was good. However, per your original message, the UPS driver redelivered them the next day instead of taking them back. How does UPS's inability to follow directions (multiple times because customer service called UPS more than once on returning them back to us) reflect poorly on The Tire Rack??

As a salesman, it is your responsibility to ensure that your customers are happy. Yes, that falls under the realm of customer service, but heaven forbid you should go that little extra mile.
Turning around and blaming a customer for your lack of service? I buy about 24-30 tires a year for my vehicles and can now say that I will never purchase another thing from Tire Rack, period.
My job doesn't stop with the enter button after taking an order. Retaining customers and making sure I deliver a relationship as well as the product is what I'm here to do. That may be harder to do with some people than others, but that's the nature of the business.

Again, take the experience the way you choose. I'm done with the tread.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

My problem isn't with the ordering process, my problem is the way Neal didn't return any of my calls and just passed me on to customer service, who told me that UPS would come and pick them up, but never showed up. No one followed up with me to make sure the job was done right or even at all.

UPS is a subcontractor to Tire Rack. If one of my subs doesn't do their job, guess who's responsible for making sure that they do? ME.
All it took was a simple phone call or e-mail, but I suppose that's a little too much to ask from them. I've been calling them for the past week and a half trying to get this thing resolved and they've been no help. I had to do their legwork for them and bring the items to a Fedex dropoff point to get this done. When I have to start taking time out of my day to do someone else's job, I'm not going to be very happy.

If you really cared about the "relationship", you'd return a phone call. But I guess that's too much to ask. Don't worry about it, though, I won't bother you again with an order.

Last edited by 4G63>OOOO; Dec 16, 2004 at 08:13 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

I have also used TireRack in the past without problems. I would've continued to do so, but I think it's just too inconvenient to order tires and then take them somewhere to have it installed. I now get my tires through Costco. They will order pretty much any tire you want, priced the same or lower than TireRack. Also if you tell them to be careful, they will mount them without ruining your wheels. I've done this on 2 of my cars this year, not a scratch on the wheels. My .02.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheGVR4kid
Doesn't hurt when they're an active advertiser either.

Yeah, because the editorial and advertising sides have so much contact with one another...contact me when you understand how magazines really work and not what you think you know because you are dead wrong. You must have missed the part about personal experience also. Every company can goof once in a while, it would seem that from most of the posts, Tire Rack typically does a fine job, just not this time.

Last edited by EVO Neil; Dec 16, 2004 at 03:35 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 03:30 PM

geez what a whiner; if you had correctly figured your tire size BEFORE you ordered your tires maybe they would have been delivered in a timely manner. It really irks me when no loads want to blame everyone else for their problems when it's really their stupidity that gets them in over their head. I have dealt with TireRack for many years without once having a problem; grow up.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 04:04 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by showard232
geez what a whiner; if you had correctly figured your tire size BEFORE you ordered your tires maybe they would have been delivered in a timely manner. It really irks me when no loads want to blame everyone else for their problems when it's really their stupidity that gets them in over their head. I have dealt with TireRack for many years without once having a problem; grow up.
Let's say one of your tires were damaged during shipping. Would you still tell someone to grow up if you tried to exchange it for 2 weeks and noone helped you with it?

Quick Reply: Tire Rack SUCKS!!!