Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire Rack SUCKS!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2004, 06:53 PM
Taz
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By reading Neal's post it's obvious the guy's a professional. I've been doing business with the Rack since '89 with no problems. I'm sure Neal tried to accomodate this unusual request - he has nothing to gain by having one mad customer.

J.Carro
Old Dec 16, 2004, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Long live America and the free market economy![/QUOTE]

Old Dec 16, 2004, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SoR
Let's say one of your tires were damaged during shipping. Would you still tell someone to grow up if you tried to exchange it for 2 weeks and noone helped you with it?
Exactly, it's not the order mixup that I'm irate about, it's the voicejail system and "yeah, they'll come by today to pick em up. Really." mass response I got from anyone I talked to over there and nothing happening that pissed me off.

I've ordered 10 sets of tires from them in the past 3 years and the past 2 orders they have screwed up either shipping wise or customer service wise, both "UPS's fault, not ours, we've been in business for 30 years, you're wrong, we're better than you, so I don't have to call you back if I'm busy". Give me a break.

When they start shipping with FedEx or actually return a phone call, I might do business with them...but probably not. Running my own business has taught me one thing: When you're counting on someone to do something, they'll probably drop the ball and give every excuse in the world why they can't do their job. When it's your name on the line, you actually step up and do something to help your customers instead of doling out excuses.

Imagine that!
Old Dec 16, 2004, 07:44 PM

Another satisfied Tire Rack customer here! I've ordered three times, the first time a wheel and tire combo. Flawless,speedy service always. Would buy from them again in a second! Also, Neal sounds like a stand-up guy.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Congratulations, wish I could say the same.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 08:33 PM
Account Disabled

As the resident Race Tire dealer on the site I can't pass up on a few comments. First to our friend from MotorTrend, of course the Tire Rack is going to bend over backwards for you guys, it has nothing to do with advertising, it has to do with getting their mention as the provider of tires for your test cars. That is how it works! In fact Tire Rack doesn't even pay for all the ads they run, they use the co-op advertising they get from Kumho and Yokohama. So there out of pocket is a lot lower than what it looks like.

As for our unfortuante friend who had to jump through hoops. I can see both sides. Once the tires are in the shippers hands it is next to impossible to get things done. I've been on both sides of this situation and I tell you, when I look the a..hole because FedEx can't deliver a two day package to Louisville, KY and I"m in Chicago, I'm going to make sure they hear about it. Then does it not only come late, a tire is missing. The problem lies in the SIZE of the organizations. Tire Rack falls into this same as others. Neil told you the best he could do, refuse shipment. Why UPS kept coming back is on them. But then the SIZE issue shows up again. Rather than send the correct tires, he wants you to do all the work. But he probably doesn't have the authority to send out a new set until the others are sent back. That isn't his fault, that is how most companies in the world operate. I think it is stupid and that is why I have the authority to make things happen without having to get special permission. This where the real problem lies. The other sides is you might not send them back, but then again I bet you paid with a Credit card and they can just whack for the new set and give you a credit when the others are returned. That's a simple solution.

People make mistakes, so a little understanding would be helpful on both sides. I'd say my part of the tire business is little more hectic as I'm usually under deadlines to get tires to a customer for a race. If he doesn't get them, he doesn't race and you want to see an irrate guy? Being we are small we can go the extra mile for our customers. I've gotten the local fedex to pull an order off the truck because I put the wrong shipping address on a set of tires. This is an advatage of being small. You get personal service and can call us anytime with questions or complaints you will get a response pretty quick.

Luckily for us Toyo sees fit to keep their products out of the hands the tire ******. If they didn't I'd be unemployed probably asking EVONeil for a job, since I gradutated with a J-degree.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Customer service should be the primary focus for any customer-oriented business. If it's too hard to track orders, you need better business processes. You also need to train your people, especially when your customer base starts to grow.

I've had a few dealings with Tire Rack. The last few sets of tyres I bought were from Tire Rack. Sometimes it's good. Sometimes it's not. It feels like it's hit or miss with Tire Rack for me, but their prices are okay so I put up with the poor customer service.

But I'm also considering taking my business elsewhere. Getting stock sizes is fine, but it's too hard to get support for custom sizing.

I usually have just very simple questions: I have this wheel in this size. What size tyres will fit it? After I know the size, I can choose the tyres appropriate for my need, but sadly, we never reach that state.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Bottom line is, consumers need to understand how online stores work. If you are unsure of their policies and/or return process, you need to become a more educated consumer, and find out that information before you place your order.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:25 PM

I've read through this thread and would like to echo some comments made earlier. I work as middle school science teacher and hear a myriad of reasons why homework and classwork isn't turned in on time or why it's late, etc.

What I always end up wanting to know is what their responsibility is for their work. I get excuses upon excuses without any recognition of personal responsibility.

In this case, I have yet to hear the original poster take honest responsibility for ordering the WRONG tires in the first place. It's just a passing note of ordering the wrong items and then onto a big bashing of Tire Rack.

Damn, do you know their volume? Have they tried in good faith to resolve the issue? If Neal has tried to track it down and cannot get to it before it goes on the truck, he's done his job. If UPS drops the ball, take it out on the shipper. Why all the blame on Tire Rack and Neal? Why don't you recognize that YOU messed up in the first place?

There might've been more that both sides could've done better, but I don't see how it's fair to have one way bashing and hashing on a public forum.

Eddie.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Tirerack has not been perfect but the only reason I don't order from the anymore is because I can get the same tires cheaper with free mounting and balancing from Costco. Why put up with mail over and shipping costs and mark ups then you can go to your friendly Costco retailer and have the same tires for less and installed???

Sorry crazy about your issues. Also clean your pm box.

Last edited by Eric Lyublinsky; Dec 17, 2004 at 06:38 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 06:50 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You ordered the wrong tires. If you're going to order specialty tires and partake in motorsport you should do your homework first before leaving the reprocussions of lacking knowledge in the hands of others.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Tire rack Rocks , got my tires in a day from the NV wherehouse . Good job guys !!!!!!!!
Old Dec 17, 2004, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cleanevo
Tire rack Rocks , got my tires in a day from the NV wherehouse . Good job guys !!!!!!!!
Ditto .
Old Dec 17, 2004, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Hey I still want to know how this guy is using 15's on the Evo?

As to his situation, sorry you feel that way but I hate to break it to you - that's life. So you were out some $ and tires for a few days, it's not the end of the world, you weren't going to be without either one forever. Patients. And on another note, if your so concerned about getting your tires before it starts snowing, why are you waiting this late in the season to get a set? That's just asking for trouble iof you ask me. Just my 2¢. But I'm still curious about the 15's.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, not the end of the world by any means, but it was a pain in the @$$...and so was I.

As for the 15's, I will post pics after the weekend if I can get these brakes to work.

Quick Reply: Tire Rack SUCKS!!!