Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Hotchkis Rear Swaybar rubbing!?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotchkis Rear Swaybar rubbing!?

I just got the Hotchkis Rear Swaybar for the Evo, the hollow type. For some reason when I corner really agressively, the lower suspension arm will rub the bottom of the swaybar.
I don't think it's normal? The ends of the swaybar have these angles on them to clear the arms but for some reason they rub. Any ideas? I checked the installation and it looks right.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say dissasemble them and look for any rubbing, then assemble using correct torque specs. Reference the mitsu parts/assembly manual commonly found on the forums. Good luck!
Old Jan 25, 2005, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is your Evo lowered? A friend is thinking about getting these swaybars and he's lowered on Tein s-techs. Might be more of a problem for him, if u are at stock height.

Does the swaybar make a major difference in general track driving with the Evo? I was also considering the swaybar, but will have to see how the hotchkis springs I installed do on the track first before any other suspension upgrades. Should be able to compare with my other friend's Evo with the stock setup.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine's lowered and it doesn't rub. Make sure that it isn't installed a little to one side. Make sure it is perfectly centered. I had mine installed a long time ago and checked it the other day and it was off to the passenger side a bit and very close to the lower suspension arm. So I loosened it and centered it and tightened it. Make sure you tighten it enough that it doesn't move in the future also.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 09:27 AM

I'm new to EVO's so I'm not sure but, do you have rubber end links? If these are worn it could cause too much flex - I've seen that happen on other cars.
RAWMR
Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Our end links are metal.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Sorted!

Just came back from the mechanic yesterday and found out that the sway bar was in fact 'shifted' to one side. Driver side to be exact and it was rubbing on the rubber boot area. So finally got that sorted!

As for how the sway bar performed, it was awesome. Originally I had the bar in the stiffest position and during street driving it's really responsive. Then when I was at the track over the weekend, (the conditions were cold and cloudy. 40 degree weather) The tires didn't heat up enough. On tight turns the rear tends to come around a bit. But with the throttle pressed it's ok. A couple of times when I lifted a little I had to counter and drift the car in order to catch the slide. Only one time in the hairpin turn where it went all the way into oversteer and had to correct it to catch it. This was at Buttonwillow, CA.
Now the bar is adjusted in the middle setting and we'll see how it performs. Last night after I got the car back from the shop. I feel it's got a slight understeer but still better than stock.