Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: Best Pads
Ferado Pads
49.57%
Project Mu
18.26%
Endless
10.43%
EBC
5.22%
Hawk
16.52%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Best Brake Pads (Street/Some Race)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2005, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not Hijacking Thread....but for you guys interested like SOON2BEVO I have started a new thread on Hawk HPS pads...got some good input so far check it out at:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=136469

Lata
Old May 5, 2005, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

anyone use the titan kai carbon pads from project U????? I really wanna know about those.
Old May 5, 2005, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

PM me if anyone has used the Project mu titan kai carbon titanium flouride pads(haha thats a long name).
Old May 5, 2005, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

also interested
Old May 29, 2005, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvO6-RS2
I have been using Ferodo 2500's..hate 'em too squeally (not very loud, but annoyingly quiet) I won't buy them again!!

So far, stock is perfect no noise just too dam expensive. Same amount of brake dust between Ferodo & stock.

Interest in the HAWK HPS pads...want to hear from other EVO owners using them.
I bought the Hawk HPS thinking they were the HP Plus. They work fine on the street, just don't take them to the track unless you want to move your braking points back about 250-300 feet. I haven't had my wheels clean enough to notice if they are dusting much or not.
Old May 29, 2005, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Running with Endless SS-S, loving them.
Old May 29, 2005, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrMejia
anyone use the titan kai carbon pads from project U????? I really wanna know about those.
I've been running PU titan kai pads for some street, a couple track club events, but mainly use them for autocross (2 years). Good cold bite and even better hot. Never faded. However, they are squeeler's and dust heavy. I may try the lower grade PU B-Force next.
Old May 29, 2005, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Not Hijacking Thread....but for you guys interested like SOON2BEVO I have started a new thread on Hawk HPS pads...got some good input so far check it out at:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=136469

Lata
Thanks!!!!
Old May 31, 2005, 01:23 PM

Could anyone tell me where I can get a set of Ferodos DS2500 for a good price? someone once mentioned that you can gat a whole set (all 4 wheels) for $240, but I have not found a place yet that would sell it for less than ~$290.

I need to get new pads as the originals are down to almost 0 after 34K miles.

Thanks much !!!
Old Jun 2, 2005, 12:58 AM
Evolved Member

^ +1 - Ferodos rawk I love them & would like a source for cheap ones.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

any ceramic pads that are any good, would like to eliminate brake dust since i spend $100+ a year on wheel cleaner and power sprayer. plus i want white rims and want less dust then stock pads without losing street performance. haven't tracked yet but, will once or twice a year. so track pads are not needed. any suggestions?
Old Jun 3, 2005, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Someone had asked about Carbotech pads earlier so here's a bit from my experiences.

I've been running the same set of XP-8 compound pads now for almost a year and have logged about 8K and several track days on them. They behave well enough to be streetable, but they do seem to be a bit harder on my rotors than the stock pads were. When used on the street they are a bit noisy - even when properly anti-squealed. In day to day driving my brakes are quiet except after I've been stuck in stop and go for 15 or 20 minutes - then they become a touch squeaky. At the track the pads have been excellent - good bite without fade, and excellent longevity. Unlike the stock pads or the Carbotech Bobcats I tried (skip 'em) I have never been able to overheat the XP-8s.

Negatives - You need to check the alignment of the pad material on the backing plates very closely when you get a new set of Carbotechs. Twice I've been shipped sets of pads where one pad that didn't line up correctly on the rotor when installed. The misalignemnt has always been minor, but it's iritating. The second issue is that you need to really go to town with the anti-squal compund to make the pads liveable on the street. If you don't throughly goop the backing plates the pads will make alot of noise - when not properly gooped they sound exactly like a set of worn out cheap pads on rusty wreck. I also find that I need to re-goop my pads after every track day - the heat build-up of track use seems to cook off even the best anti-squeal I've been able to find.

Despite the couple of small annoyances, I'll probably continue to use XP-8s. I haven't run up against another Evo that can out-brake me and everyone who's ridden in my car at the track seems amazed by the brakes; even other Evo drivers. YMMV.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by erioshi
Someone had asked about Carbotech pads earlier so here's a bit from my experiences.

I've been running the same set of XP-8 compound pads now for almost a year and have logged about 8K and several track days on them. They behave well enough to be streetable, but they do seem to be a bit harder on my rotors than the stock pads were. When used on the street they are a bit noisy - even when properly anti-squealed. In day to day driving my brakes are quiet except after I've been stuck in stop and go for 15 or 20 minutes - then they become a touch squeaky. At the track the pads have been excellent - good bite without fade, and excellent longevity. Unlike the stock pads or the Carbotech Bobcats I tried (skip 'em) I have never been able to overheat the XP-8s.

Negatives - You need to check the alignment of the pad material on the backing plates very closely when you get a new set of Carbotechs. Twice I've been shipped sets of pads where one pad that didn't line up correctly on the rotor when installed. The misalignemnt has always been minor, but it's iritating. The second issue is that you need to really go to town with the anti-squal compund to make the pads liveable on the street. If you don't throughly goop the backing plates the pads will make alot of noise - when not properly gooped they sound exactly like a set of worn out cheap pads on rusty wreck. I also find that I need to re-goop my pads after every track day - the heat build-up of track use seems to cook off even the best anti-squeal I've been able to find.

Despite the couple of small annoyances, I'll probably continue to use XP-8s. I haven't run up against another Evo that can out-brake me and everyone who's ridden in my car at the track seems amazed by the brakes; even other Evo drivers. YMMV.
Try using Permatex high-temp Copper anti-seize compound like what comes w/ a set of stock replacement brembo pads. That stuff shouldn't burn off at the track. CRC burns off instantly.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

I have been using Ferodo 2500's..hate 'em too squeally (not very loud, but annoyingly quiet) I won't buy them again!!

So far, stock is perfect no noise just too dam expensive. Same amount of brake dust between Ferodo & stock.

Interest in the HAWK HPS pads...want to hear from other EVO owners using them.
DS2500's don't make any noise at all if you install them with enough antiseize compound and re-use the OEM shim glued to the back of the OEM pads.

I just installed HPS and they make more noise than the DS 2500s because I didn't put on the goop (the store wasn't open at the time).
Old Jun 5, 2005, 02:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by machron1
Try using Permatex high-temp Copper anti-seize compound like what comes w/ a set of stock replacement brembo pads. That stuff shouldn't burn off at the track. CRC burns off instantly.
I have experimented with this - while high temps didn't bother it, when used with the Carbotech pads it made no difference in the squeal factor. Carbotech pads don't have a nice smooth solid backing plate like most of the other pads I've worked with - I'm guessing that the back vents (holes) are part of what causes the additional squealing.

Quick Reply: Best Brake Pads (Street/Some Race)