Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Suspension suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2005, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension suggestions?

I had my HKS Hypermax RS coilovers
corner balanced and fine tuned by SEL ground performance.

I was concerned about how the coilovers felt worse than the stock suspension.
They recommended that I get stiffer springs, 9k front and 8k back since the coilovers only provided a spring rate of 6k front and 5k rear and were way too soft.

I have them set at full stiffness. Other suspension mods include:

-Cusco underbrace type I & type II
-Cusco rear strut bar and trunk bar
-Cusco 23mm rear sway bar
-stock wheels w/ Falken Azenis ST115

After I installed the rear sway bar, the car felt a little more flat around corners.

My biggest concern is that it feels really "squishy" around corners and under
braking, it feels a little unstable. It feels like it is always sliding around instead of
planted like when I had the stock suspension.

Will getting stiffer springs resolve any of these issues? I think I'm pretty much
done with suspension modifications. Any suggestions?

I'm guessing the car would feel a lot better around a track than on street?

Finally, when I installed the rear sway bar I had to drop the lower driver's side lateral
link connecting the bottom end of the coilover. I noticed on the other side of the bolt
which held this together, a bunch of tic marks. I checked the other side and it was at
2 clicks to the left. So when I was tightening the drivers side, I made sure it was on
2 clicks to the right. Was I correct in doing this? I'm guessing this is the camber.

Thanks so much for any help on this matter.

Joe
Old May 8, 2005, 02:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you should definitely get your car professionally aligned. It will make a world of difference in how the car behaves for handling and braking. When playing around w/ those eccentric bolts, you're changing both camber and toe. The unstable feeling you get when braking is probably caused by your toe settings being off.
Old May 8, 2005, 10:29 AM

i will probably take them up to SEL ground again sometime, but they did the best they could before. i'm just wondering if stiffer springs will really help. and whether or not i should special order hks ones for my coilovers or get custom springs w/ the suggested spring rates.
Old May 9, 2005, 07:09 AM

bump
Old May 9, 2005, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Try better tires.
Old May 9, 2005, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, I would think stiffer springs would help.

I got 10k/8k on my Zeal Xs and they still feel more comfy than stock yet still handle great. Dampening is adjustable.

I've also drove another version w/ 12k/12k and those were phenomenal! Stuck to the road like glue yet still compliant ride. They were higher version, function X.

you may want to add more spring preload tension to stiffen them up further. that is if HKS offer this adjustment. Or, better yet just get some stiffer springs from them - should be easy swap.

GL!
Old May 9, 2005, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Those Tires Are HORRIBLE
Old May 9, 2005, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Quickshifter
Those Tires Are HORRIBLE
Speaking frome experience? They are not as good as the advans but they are a good compromise, especially in wet conditions.
Old May 9, 2005, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

i'm not positive how stiff you;d want to go with the hks coilovers...i have the RRE tuned JICs...i forget the spring rates, but if all else fails talk to Road Race Engineering...even if you don;t buy their coilovers...they sure know what they are doing. I just won an autocross this weekend thanks to them...and i don;t even have the rear sway bar yet.
Old May 10, 2005, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

Speaking frome experience? They are not as good as the advans but they are a good compromise, especially in wet conditions.
Originally Posted by LanEvoDemon

My biggest concern is that it feels really "squishy" around corners and under
braking, it feels a little unstable. It feels like it is always sliding around instead of
planted like when I had the stock suspension.

The complaint you have with the suspension is most likely due to the compromise you made with the tires.

Every force acting on the car has to go through the tire. Mushy tire = mushy car.
Old May 10, 2005, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

I have read on the Euro forums about good coilovers preforming like **** due to poor tire selection. The softer tire acts like an undamped spring making the ride bouncy and the turn in mushy.
Old May 10, 2005, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Your coilovers will definitely highlight any shortcomings in your tires. Last summer I was running JICs with 10K front and 9K rear spring rates - all properly dialed in and set up. When I put my winter tires on the car, it felt pretty scary - the whole car seemed to become "bouncy" and easy to unsettle. The short version is essentially that the side walls on my winter tires were too soft for my suspension set-up, and the the tires were having trouple compensating.

The same set-up with my summer tires and/or track tires drove very well - no changes.

Last edited by erioshi; May 11, 2005 at 12:37 AM.
Old May 11, 2005, 03:40 PM

The car didn't feel good w/ the stock advans either. It's definetly something i need to do w/ the coilovers. probably get rid of them! and get ohlins...
Old May 11, 2005, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

are you setting up the car for street or track?

n
Old May 11, 2005, 07:02 PM

track