Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Back-end Wiggle at High Speed: how can I eliminate?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2005, 09:32 AM
CDO
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too low of tire pressure in the rears maybe?
Old May 15, 2005, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Good point--but I keep my tire pressure very high.
Old May 15, 2005, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

So, my high (-2.0) camber up front could be causing it?

Regarding the undertray, anyone with any first hand experience? Particularly another wingless evo like mine??? I'd appreciate hearing from someone with an undertray..

The evo 9 rear bumper is a good idea, but I think that's beyond my college-level budget.

Thanks for all the comments...
Old May 15, 2005, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

I'd find someone who ponied up for the IX rear, buy their stock rear cheap and hack it to pieces. Get a door knob drill attachment and do it up like a Honda in 1996.
Old May 15, 2005, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheGVR4kid
I'd find someone who ponied up for the IX rear, buy their stock rear cheap and hack it to pieces. Get a door knob drill attachment and do it up like a Honda in 1996.
lol!

well...if it is the wing i'm gonna laugh at my STi friends for saying the Evo wing is just as fuctional as theirs.
Old May 15, 2005, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TexasRS
Good point--but I keep my tire pressure very high.
I used to have the same problem with my car feeling light in the rear at high speeds. I took pressure out of the rear tires and it made a big improvement. my tire pressure is now at 32 psi in front and 29 psi in the rear.
Old May 15, 2005, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by taenaive
Yeah, I don't wanna put up that wing. I like the wingless look too. I think that evo 9 bumper might work. and put more weight in the rear. I was thinking about relocating battery to rear and modding the rear bumper so it will let out the air under neath. that USDM bumper is totally not aero dynamic.
i think evo 9 rear bumper can help a little bit, but the under car diffuser would be much better since they are deep into the car. anyway, those diffusers are freaking expensive for me.

"The new rear bumper features a diffuser undersurface in a distinctive design that shapes the corners to stabilize air flow detachment and reduce drag and that adds to Evolution's sedan-racer looks"
the above paragraph is from http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...threadid=70530

under car diffuser
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=5200

side diffuser
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=5199
Old May 15, 2005, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

When I had my 2003 GSR, it would never drift the tail around at high speeds. When I bought my 2004 RS, I started noticing it. I checked alignment, and the RS's was almost exactly the same as what I had on my GSR. The only thing I could conclude was that it was the lack of the spoiler on the RS. The RS tends to want to walk the rear around when doing about 130 MPH and above and you get on the brakes hard. My GSR never did that.
Old May 15, 2005, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CRVdrftR05
lol!

well...if it is the wing i'm gonna laugh at my STi friends for saying the Evo wing is just as fuctional as theirs.
Look at the two wings, ours is a reverse of an airplane wing, an sti's is just flat, which is why it wobbles at high speeds, it's functional, but not anywhere near as functional as our's
Old May 15, 2005, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DCSilvrEvo
Get a VORTEX GENERATOR! They help keep the car in the direction your steering. I dont know about the camber and stuff like that.
You don't know what you're talking about. I don't like saying this, but if you don't know anything about this, don't comment.

I don't think the wing is really going to do much at 100mph when you're turning that little (downforce at a 100 would be around 50lbs, which is a joke). Listen to these guys, they know. The Evo wing is an basically an upside down airplane wing, that's why it's called a wing in the first place. Wings generate lift right? So what happens if you turn it upside down? You get negative lift, which is the same as downforce.

If any of you really care to learn a bit about car aerodynamics, MulsannesCorner.com is a great site with lots of information.

Last edited by mike69; May 15, 2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old May 15, 2005, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

The minor changes you have made to your alignenment do not seem enough to affect things that noticabley at 95 with a mere lane change. I took mine full silde at 120 the first week end I had it (new tires and stock alignment) and was amazed at how well it hung together. At speeds under 100 it has always been rock solid. You may have a weak rear damper.
Old May 16, 2005, 02:09 AM
Evolved Member

As others have said, the wing would make the biggest difference. I have an undercar rear diffuser and I'm not sure it's making any noticeable difference until I hit tripple digit speeds.

The vortex generator may actually hurt high speed stability as it's designed to cut drag behind the rear windshield area. Less drag means more speed, but less stability - I took my new vortex generator to the track last Thursday, and to be blunt the car didn't feel any different at 140 mph. One of the reasons the wing does such a good job of settleing the back of the car is that it adds drag at the absolute rear of the car in addition to downforce.
Old May 16, 2005, 03:35 AM
Evolving Member

Is this the consensus: I NEED A WING to solve the problem??? Any RS guys out there who installed the wing and noticed an increase in rear stability at 95mph+?

Thanks...
Old May 16, 2005, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Tire pressure balance front to rear could definitely effect the oversteer feeling as well. Usually I run 34 PSI all around but if I want more oversteer I increase the rear pressure by a few PSI, more understeer means I add a few PSI to the front. Toe settings can effect stability quite a bit and rear toe can really make a difference. Offhand I don't know what a stable toe setting is versus a handfull setting but I'm sure a search could turn up good results. The rear wing does make a difference as well, it's not just an aircraft wing. The airflow coming off the roof is coming down at an angle towards the wing so even though it looks level front to rear, the airflow is effectively making it aim downwards as if the "Airplane" was in a dive which equals downforce.
Old May 16, 2005, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

I also find the tail of the Evo to be light at speed on the track. I have the wing, but in high spped truns, the back is light. I ordered the Vortex Generator and was under the inpression that that would help make the wing more efficient.

Quick Reply: Back-end Wiggle at High Speed: how can I eliminate?