Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Anybody use structural foam?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2005, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody use structural foam?

here is the link: http://www.foamseal.com/auto_aftermarket.htm. SCC used this in their project 300zx a few years ago with good results. it is used by some OEM, infiniti Q45 for example, and the foamseal kit is what is used by body shops to repair it. looks like a relatively cheap way to stiffen the chasis without adding weight or being instrusive like a roll cage. anybody ever use it?
Old May 18, 2005, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds interesting. Looks like a nice way, maybe even cheaper way, to stiffen the chassis somewhat. But can never replace metal's integrity, especially if you are talking about a roll cage which would help alot in a rollover accident, etc. If you get it down, please posts some reivews.

I actually like the idea of sound deadening with the foam. If it doesn't add too much weight, compared to adding dynamat.. this might be the best way to go.
Old May 18, 2005, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rsboy
Sounds interesting. Looks like a nice way, maybe even cheaper way, to stiffen the chassis somewhat. But can never replace metal's integrity, especially if you are talking about a roll cage which would help alot in a rollover accident, etc. If you get it down, please posts some reivews.

I actually like the idea of sound deadening with the foam. If it doesn't add too much weight, compared to adding dynamat.. this might be the best way to go.
-yeah, i'm interested in doing it for the handling benefits of a stiffer chasis, not for safety. i wouldn't want to do a cage in a street car, because it is dangerous to drive with a cage without a helmet and harness. if i decide to do it i will try to take some pics and post a review.
Old May 18, 2005, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have heard of this stuff, is it the same as that you inject it into the body behind the panels?