Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Stupid question: how do i stop brake squeal?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never heard of that before?
Old Jun 9, 2005, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

HOW TO FIX- Stay on the brakes and the gas for a bout 1/2 mile ( just to heat them up a lot), your problem will be solved.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
check the rotor that is squealing to see if there are any groves, get the rotor milled if there are any. clean the rotor with brake cleaner and spray some anti-squeal on the rotor. use brake grease between the pads and the piston and shims.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jamevo8
Mine squeeled like pigs, there is a metal shim you need for $20. to put between the pad and the rotor. then they will not squeel at all!
But that defeats the purpose of having high performance brake pads .... you might as well be using fully metallic brake pads (blocks) ... I guess the biggest problem for all of us is finding pads that are high performance, good to use on the streets, quiet and good for an occasional day at the track (doesn't need to have the performance of track pads but take the repeated abuse its subjected to at the track) ...
Old Jun 9, 2005, 01:36 PM

Wow! I thought I was the only one with those pads that squel like ****. Man, are they annoying. I bought some anti-squel spray cans for them and sounds a little better. You spray it on the rotors and brake pads and the sounds aren't that loud nomore. They are called De-Squeek. I got them from autozone. You might want to try them. It worked for me.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F&I-EVO
HOW TO FIX- Stay on the brakes and the gas for a bout 1/2 mile ( just to heat them up a lot), your problem will be solved.
Sounds like a very BAD IDEA! Thats like Pulling another car that has no wheels.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DCSilvrEvo
Sounds like a very BAD IDEA! Thats like Pulling another car that has no wheels.
Thats is your solution! it works.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea I have the project mu ns pads and mine squeels soooo bad... its seems like they squeels either when theyre really cold or really hot.... if ur coming to a stop OMG.... its horrible... i figured out if u dont let off ne when braking they wonnt squeel tho.... I just hate it it makes everyone around u look at u like wow he has a 30k POS or is too poor from the car payment to fix his brakes!!! Pulled upto a light one day (breaks screaming as usual) and the kids in the brand new 328i next to me were just laughing and making all kinds of smart @ss comments... then I had to leavem them back there in my dust for sum sweet sweet revenge.... but seriously f there is NE fix for this prob... let me know... i cant stand it ne longer!!!
Old Jun 9, 2005, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

racing pads are meant to squeel, but if u think its a little too much, take the pads off immediately before u make the same mistake i did now i need new pads. Re-surface the rotors, and have the pads sorta "sanded" down so the glaze is off, then apply copper grease on back of pads and try that, if not, then thats all u can do
Old Jun 9, 2005, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

as for the hold the brakes, and gas method, i've tried that not trying to fix it, but because i was trying a new method of racing from a roll by holding brake with left foot and building boost, and yes it does solve your problem in some way because it takes layers off the pad and my pads didnt squeel for about 2 days, after that, squeel again but its due to my rotors.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by DCSilvrEvo
.. but I stoped QUICKER than an STI that ended up with a TICKET!
haha...
Old Jun 9, 2005, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

I have ferodo DS2500 pads and rotora rotors and I get no squeal at all.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

I clean mine with a pressure washer when they squeal. Goes away till the dust builds back up.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

i had this guy behind me in highway and whenever he braked.. it sounded like a horn..sounds like he keeps honking at me...
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by jamevo8
Mine squeeled like pigs, there is a metal shim you need for $20. to put between the pad and the rotor. then they will not squeel at all!

See that's funny to me, because I used to be a mechanic for years and I could have swore that the shim goes in bewtween the pad and the pistons on the caliper side of the set-up. I could be wrong and this guy could be refering to smething totally different, but I doubt it. If you were to put the shim in between the pad and the rotor wouldn't it be in teh middle of the braking action? Sounds kinda WRONG to me, but hey what do I know anyways.

Quick Reply: Stupid question: how do i stop brake squeal?