Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Steering wheel shakes during high speed braking

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2005, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
You can't see it. If it is enough of a build up even getting the rotors hot won't get rid of the vibration. If rebedding the pads doesn't fix it then get your rotors turned.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it is either warped rotors or uneven material transfered on the rotors
Old Jun 17, 2005, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

I've had this happen several times with my car. I now have 21,000+ miles on the car and I've probably bed the pads 3 or 4 times. Every time the vibration comes back I rebed them and it's fine. It's really making me consider changing my pads even though I have quite a bit of pad left.

-Paul
Old Jun 17, 2005, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I slam on the brakes then it stops without drama. It only happens above 80mph at ~25% pedal pressure. I'll try the rebedding today.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

The rebedding should help.

Could be warpped rotors, or tires need to be rebalanced, or alignment.

I warpped my rotors at the end of this winter when I was spraying the salt off of my car. Water on hot rotors in cold weather is not a good combination. Luckily warranty covered the new rotors and new pads.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by PVD04
I've had this happen several times with my car. I now have 21,000+ miles on the car and I've probably bed the pads 3 or 4 times. Every time the vibration comes back I rebed them and it's fine. It's really making me consider changing my pads even though I have quite a bit of pad left.

-Paul
It usually happens when/if you get the brakes hot and then stop with your foot hard on the brake at rest. Like at a stoplight after 'zipping around' a bit

Proper care for brakes is one of the most misunderstood/ignored topics out there.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Same thing is happening on my car and from what I've read it's the pad transfer to the rotor. Hard to imagine the rotor warping. I have new brake pads Hawks HPS and will be putting them on next week. I'm not going to turn the rotor but may skim it. Will bed them properly and hope the shaking goes away.

I've never heard of warping rotors from using an impact gun to put the tires back either. If this is the case with EVOs either brembo suck or suck!
Old Jun 17, 2005, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

I just got my rotors resurfaced two days ago from the dealership for the same thing. They took the rotors off and told me they were warped. So even though its hard to believe, the shaking has stopped for now
Old Jun 17, 2005, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by healthynine
I just got my rotors resurfaced two days ago from the dealership for the same thing. They took the rotors off and told me they were warped. So even though its hard to believe, the shaking has stopped for now

Did they reuse your stock pads? Some people have resurface the rotor 2 to 3 times and it still comes back which leads me to believe it's the pad transfer.

Good luck and keep us updated to see if the problem comes back
Old Jun 17, 2005, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by infantsam
It usually happens when/if you get the brakes hot and then stop with your foot hard on the brake at rest. Like at a stoplight after 'zipping around' a bit

Proper care for brakes is one of the most misunderstood/ignored topics out there.
Very true. I am very careful about not doing such things, but have still had issues with pad material build-up on the rotor. Unless I'm on a slope, my foot is usually completely off the brake pedal while I'm stopped and I often try to let off the pedal just before I stop and coast to a stop from 2-3 mph.

-Paul
Old Jun 17, 2005, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

yeah, stock pads. It doesn't really surprise me that it is a result of using an impact gun because it started happening right after my 5000 maintenance(I have the free maintenance for the 05), in which they rotated my tires. While driving home from the dealer I noticed it. I'm guessing that once the rotors and wheels are set, and you start driving and heat up the rotors, they warp slightly. Even hundreths of a cm can cause the shake, so I assumed that was it. I'll keep you guys updated though
Old Jun 17, 2005, 08:57 AM

my cars brakes do the same. they only shake on sort of rough roads while braking but smooth roads they are fine. im gonna try to rebed them tongith and if that doesnt work im gonna go to the dealer and have them replaced. I already had my pads replaced once cause they grooved my front left rotor. that took mitsu a good week to do that. I wonder how long for the rotors.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Told you guys.. they use an impact gun to tighten the lugs.. it shocks the rotor when they torque them on, causing it to warp in one direction.. it only does it by a few thousands of an inch though, which makes a big difference. I notice it every time someone tightens my lugs with a impact gun too. Use a torque wrench to do it properly. (star pattern, tighten 50%, then go back and finish them off 100%) I guess the specs for an evo are 72 ft/lb.. I was looking at a chart on discount tire's website, sorry for the mistake. It was correct for my car, so I thought they would have got the evo's specs right, guess not.

If you have never heard in all your years of racing that it does this, I'm sorry.. It was also featured on a racing special on speedvision where they talk with pit crews. The "race cars" don't warp as easily because they have brake rotors designed so they don't warp easy, also most of them are using only 1 lug if it is a real race car..
Old Jun 17, 2005, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
If I slam on the brakes then it stops without drama. It only happens above 80mph at ~25% pedal pressure. I'll try the rebedding today.

Thanks for the help guys.
My exact same problem, I Re-Bedded the pads today and i got no change.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 09:00 AM

your problem is material pad transfer....the pad material is deposited into the rotor and creates areas of varied friction which will pulse the braking system. I had this problem multiple times and you have to get the rotors shaved to make it go away. After i threw out my stock pads (which you should do too) and got some after market pads, the problem went away indeffinitley.
EvoMike

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shakes during high speed braking