Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Steering wheel shakes during high speed braking

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2005, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering wheel shakes during high speed braking

What could this be caused by? I don't think I have warped rotors as the shaking goes away if I brake hard at lower speeds. I've also noticed that the shaking happens at light pedal pressure; if I increase pedal pressure, the shaking goes away somewhat.

Could it be wheel weights? I only have 8500 miles on my car, FWIW.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

my evo did the same thing. Take it to the dealer before you hit 12months/12k miles, and they can check your alignment. I unfortunately didn't say anything until after 12k miles and it was too late.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usually when it shakes when you are braking only, it is your brake rotors are warped. I can't stand that.. mine were doing it and I took it to the dealership and they fixed it. U might have gone through some water or rain when the brakes were really hot and it caused the rotors to warp.. also what causes warped rotors is tightening your lug nuts with an impact gun. Never do that. Use a torque wrench and tighten them to 100 ft/lb. For a regular 4-lug lancer ES/OZ the specs are 80 ft/lb. But since your car is brand new, take it back cause its under warranty. They will fix it for you.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 08:29 AM

Try re-bedding your pads; do a series of 10 60 mph to 10 mph brake applications that are smooth and do not engage the ABS. Then drive the car until the brakes cool and try not to apply the brakes (freeway). When brakes are cool do it again and that should deposit enough pad material on the rotors to stop your shake. Oh by the way you will definitely smell the pads after about the 10th brake application which means you are doing it right. After the 2nd bedding drive for about 10-15 minutes to allow the brakes to cool and don't drive right home and wash the car; wait until next day. Hopes this helps.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

yeah touching on the warranty issue. If it is your alignment go before 12k miles. If you go over it is not covered
Old Jun 15, 2005, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wiretap
Usually when it shakes when you are braking only, it is your brake rotors are warped. I can't stand that.. mine were doing it and I took it to the dealership and they fixed it. U might have gone through some water or rain when the brakes were really hot and it caused the rotors to warp.. also what causes warped rotors is tightening your lug nuts with an impact gun. Never do that. Use a torque wrench and tighten them to 100 ft/lb. For a regular 4-lug lancer ES/OZ the specs are 80 ft/lb. But since your car is brand new, take it back cause its under warranty. They will fix it for you.
Do not tighten your lug nuts to 100 ft-lbs. The recommended torque is 72 +/- 8 ft-lbs for the evo.

-Paul
Old Jun 15, 2005, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

i don't know how it could be alignment. if it was the rotors, why doesn't it do it all the time during braking? the only thing I can think of is lug torquing. I'm gonna retorque my lugs tonight and see if that makes a difference.

My car is somewhat modified so I'm a bit hesitant to take it to the dealer considering Mitsu/Evo warranty horror stories.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

ACTUALLY it doesnt have to be the brakes at all. My car did that because when more weight is on the front wheels(Bent) it shakes. My Rotors were perfect! Wheels were bent. But not bent enough to feel it at normal drivng.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DCSilvrEvo
ACTUALLY it doesnt have to be the brakes at all. My car did that because when more weight is on the front wheels(Bent) it shakes. My Rotors were perfect! Wheels were bent. But not bent enough to feel it at normal drivng.
damn, i hope it isn't that. I don't recall hitting any major potholes? wtf...
Old Jun 15, 2005, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

I put new rotors on and the problem went away
Old Jun 15, 2005, 08:43 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
balance your tires.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

What a bunch of wrong headed answers except one. If you do a fair amount of city driving or are wimpy on the brakes then it is very common to get some slight build up on the rotors. This can feel like warped rotors when you finally do brake hard (like from high speeds) The right answer is to rebed the pads. 10 hard stops from 60 - 5 should do it. Not too hard as to engage the abs. Make sure you don't come to a complete stop and finally drive around for about 5 miles without using the brakes much to cool down the rotors after bedding the pads.

regards,
alan
Old Jun 17, 2005, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 00R101
What a bunch of wrong headed answers except one. If you do a fair amount of city driving or are wimpy on the brakes then it is very common to get some slight build up on the rotors. This can feel like warped rotors when you finally do brake hard (like from high speeds) The right answer is to rebed the pads. 10 hard stops from 60 - 5 should do it. Not too hard as to engage the abs. Make sure you don't come to a complete stop and finally drive around for about 5 miles without using the brakes much to cool down the rotors after bedding the pads.

regards,
alan
I'll try that today. I do mostly highway driving...drive 70 miles a day. I guess it is conceivable that I am too light on the brakes but I didn't think I was.

Last night I took off all 4 wheels and retorqued the lugs, but there was absolutely no difference. It is definitely a brake issue. I hope it's not warped rotors...I hate taking my car in to the dealer.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
In all my years of racing I have never heard of "tightening your lugnuts with an impact gun will warp your rotors". That is BS. It more than likely pad transfer to the rotor. If you are on the factory pads it is very common.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
In all my years of racing I have never heard of "tightening your lugnuts with an impact gun will warp your rotors". That is BS. It more than likely pad transfer to the rotor. If you are on the factory pads it is very common.
can this pad transfer be seen on the rotor with the naked eye? I didn't see anything unusual on the rotors when my wheels were off yesterday.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shakes during high speed braking