Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Stock Advan Tire wear question...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Advan Tire wear question...

Was wondering if anyone else with the MR, or any other Evo for that matter, has had the stock tires wear out severly on the outside edges. The fronts are wearing the outsides faster than the rears but the rears aren't too far behind. I had to rotate the fronts to the rear after just 4K miles cause the outsides were getting bald. I do drive very agressively and often drive mt roads just under squealing speed. Do I need more negative camber? Would increased tire pressure help? I ran recomended pressures up until about 2 weeks ago then I added abound 2 Psi to the front and back; car turned in a little faster but I haven't noticed a drastic increase in grip or a decrease in wear. Just curious...
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

uneven wear on tire tread is caused by too much air in tire, too little air in tire, taking the corners like a evo should. when im in my geo, yes my geo, i take the turns and make my tires go crazy bald on the sides. dont really car cause tires cost like 125 so no big dip in my wallet.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

I've got the same problem. Outsides are really starting to go. I went 36 in the back, 32 in the front and it feels a lot more solid. What really contributed to one of the tires going was it was low on air. The front left had a leak before I put that foam **** in it. More air will definitely help, but there's nothing you can do about the aggressive driving. That's only natural wear.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

Camber plates for more negative camber would help. I also rotated my tires left to right (dismounted and remounted with same rotation direction).
Old Aug 12, 2005, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

could also be because your taking alot of hard turns
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Autoxevo
Camber plates for more negative camber would help. I also rotated my tires left to right (dismounted and remounted with same rotation direction).
How much neg. camber can you get out of the stock suspension? Or do you have to get camber plates in order to get any at all?
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

just get some coilovers
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Most I got was 1.3 neg. Thats with the stock camber bolt (arrow pointed out)
Old Aug 14, 2005, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Outside wear might be due to too mcuh toe in, I have my Evo check on alignment machine and found too much toe in on the front.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 09:40 AM

i was bald on the outer block by 5,000 miles. and 2,000 of that was the drive from ny to fla. (which was a personal e.t. record) but seriously, the tires stuck well, and i push the car hard.

So its normal for outer wear. yes, adding negative camber will help, but i'd wait till you do a suspension change first. From stock,it will affect normal driveablility.

and rotate your tires too.

and if youve hit or grazed any curbs, check your alignment

if all that fails, go to sears and buy some infini-treads!
Old Aug 15, 2005, 06:59 PM

Angry

I found that my evo had too much neg. camber on the rear and it shaved the whole inside edge of the tire off, i think it was like that from the factory, taken it back to the dealer, i'm not eating the price of those oem tires.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 02:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tommyevo
I found that my evo had too much neg. camber on the rear and it shaved the whole inside edge of the tire off, i think it was like that from the factory, taken it back to the dealer, i'm not eating the price of those oem tires.
Camber generally doesn't wear the insides of the tires very fast. It's toe out that KILLS the insides of the tires quick.

I have 19k miles on my stock advans and still have a decent amount of tread left. I'm guessing my tires will last to about 22k miles. I currently have -1.8 deg of negative camber in front and -1.3 in the rear w/ 0 toe all around. I've also done 8 autocrosses on these tires. I do keep my tire pressures around 38 psi in front, and 40 psi in the rear.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 03:06 AM
Evolving Member

damn, you must be driving it like a maniac to wear the outer edges that much. anyway, having to rotate them after 4k isn't that bad since you're supposed after 5k anyway.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

I think you’re all lucky. My 046's were completely toast at 4K miles. Tire wear looked pretty even, but I rotated all the time. This is with 3 track events.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
myn insides are pretty worn, on the rears ( 1 rotation), the outsides are semi worn. i want to get alignment but am waiting for new tires. i have 9k miles on my car I will probably by new tires and then get alignment @ around 12k miles.

Quick Reply: Stock Advan Tire wear question...