Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Are dedicated snows neccessary for the Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2005, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are dedicated snows neccessary for the Evo?

This will be my first winter with the Evo and I'm not sure what to do about tires. I know tires like the Blizzak WS-50s are the absolute ultimate in snow and ice, but with an awd vehicle are they neccessary? I know from what I've read they tear up the bad weather but are pretty poor in terms of dry weather performance. I've been thinking about a performance snow, something like the M3s.

I live in Rochester, NY btw and we do get alot of now, and my driveway rarely gets plowed. I'm trying to figure out what level of snow tire I need. Any advice?

Another thing, I'm guessing you can't put steel wheels on the Evo due to brake clearance? It seems that's the case and Tire Rack is offering me some nice alloy wheels to go with my winter tires. If that's true, then is there any reason not to put the snows on the stock Enkei rims and buy some nice summer wheels to mount my Advans on?

Last edited by infin|ty; Sep 28, 2005 at 04:24 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Ask Neil @ Tire Rack...he can answer any type of question relating to wheels and tires....as for Evo owners...they would probably suggest to get winter tires...and if you do decide to go with winter tires...ask neil
Old Sep 28, 2005, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

i went with the blizzys and i loved every minute of it when i was rippin out the backend and tearing up the side streets in my neighborhood with some crazy drifting.

i would go with a dedicated snow especially since you live in new york and it sounds like it is your daily driver.

good luck on your decision.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlewBuYou66
i went with the blizzys and i loved every minute of it when i was rippin out the backend and tearing up the side streets in my neighborhood with some crazy drifting.

i would go with a dedicated snow especially since you live in new york and it sounds like it is your daily driver.

good luck on your decision.

+1 i love my blizzaks, they are definitely worth every penny!!
Old Sep 28, 2005, 04:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by infin|ty
This will be my first winter with the Evo and I'm not sure what to do about tires. I know tires like the Blizzak WS-50s are the absolute ultimate in snow and ice, but with an awd vehicle are they neccessary? I know from what I've read they tear up the bad weather but are pretty poor in terms of dry weather performance. I've been thinking about a performance snow, something like the M3s.

I live in Rochester, NY btw and we do get alot of now, and my driveway rarely gets plowed. I'm trying to figure out what level of snow tire I need. Any advice?

Another thing, I'm guessing you can't put steel wheels on the Evo due to brake clearance? It seems that's the case and Tire Rack is offering me some nice alloy wheels to go with my winter tires. If that's true, then is there any reason not to put the snows on the stock Enkei rims and buy some nice summer wheels to mount my Advans on?
Get some speed rated snow tires, they are not as agressive as the WS-50s so they are much much better when there is no snow but are way better than all-seasons in the snow. Good examples are the Michelin Pilot Alpin 2 and the Bridgestone LM-22s, both will last a couple of three seasons of winter only use

I use them here in Colorado in the fall/winter/spring and can go anywhere with them on and no where with my summer tires plus you can drive the hell out of them in the dry and they wear ok
Old Oct 3, 2005, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Honestly,

A set of conti's will get you through the winter with NO PROBLEM! I've had conti's for 2 winters now and I have never gotten stuck or ever felt that i needed snow tires.

Pros: Will handle better in the dry than a dedicated snow tire, will wear better than a snow tire, incredible in snow and rain

cons: Have a tendancy to flat spot over night, can be a little pricey

Bobby

P.S. These contis are no where NEAR the dry handling performance of the stock advans.

Last edited by HwangTKD; Oct 3, 2005 at 06:36 AM.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

I would argue you wouldn't need snow tires if you lived in the city. All-season is a must, the AWD system compensates a lot for it.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 07:19 AM

I tried the conti's (not a great tire for snow) and would say go with the snow tire... I run all-seasons, but I don't drive the EVO in the winter... The all-seasons are to get me through a freak snow in the fall or early spring...
Old Oct 4, 2005, 07:23 AM
Account Disabled

Well aparently no one has seen that the poster of this thread is from Rochester,NY.Get your
self some Blizzak LM-22's and you will not regret it.I have 2 winter seasons on mine and they are still like fairly new.You will NOT go anywhere with your advans once an inch or 2 of snow falls and forget about braking.You upstate NY areas average what,about 100+ inches of snow each year?Get Some LM-22's and it is almost like dry pavement when 8+ inches of snow falls,as I am speaking from experience
Old Oct 4, 2005, 07:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Really depends on the type of environment you live in. Snow tires will provide the best winter traction over any type of tire available. But as many things in life, there will be a trade off. They tend to wear a bit faster and not handle as well as an all season tire.

There are two types of winter tires, performance and studless ice and snow. The performance based tires are lesser aggressive and more tuned for urban areas where you see more plowed roads. They wont work as well in harsher, deeper conditions but will handle and last a little better.

Studless ice/snow are the more aggressive breed. Mainly rural based for deeper harsher conditions. Best type of tire for the worst winter conditions. Snow and ice traction better, but handling and wear isn't as good.

Personally, I always run the more aggressive type even though 70% of my drive is on the clear toll road. I would rather be prepared for a snow storm than worried about how fast I could take my off ramps. If the snow trucks don't get out in time, or I get caught on the way home I know there will be no issue getting where I need to go.

That's just me though, you may be different. Some people just use all seasons cause the winters are mild. Some run snow tires all year *good god...* Remember, with AWD your a step ahead of the game already.

If I were to make any recommendation based on the info you've given, it would to use a Blizzak. They have the multi-cell link or tube multi-cell link *depending on the tire* compound that far exceeds any other tire. Other brands rely on tread depth and design, but the Blizzaks have an edge with their added compound.

Haven't found a steel wheel or 16" that fits the EVO. You don't have to purchase wheels, but remember you will have mounting/balancing fees at least twice a year if you re-use your OEM wheels. Also, tires/wheels don't like to be mounted/dismounted all the time. It subjects them to damage and can wear down the bead area over time. Usually easier to just purchase wheels and slap them on the night before snow flies.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

^ Do the LM-22s have the same compounds as the WS-50s? I have had WS's before and I was very happy, but now that I have an AWD car and would prefer a little bit of handling too, I am thinking LM-22s but I want to assure that they will last more than one season.

And to the guy from Rochester.... Buy snows, I live in Buffalo NY (about 1HR from Rochester) Snows are a must.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 07:53 PM

Do not drive your Evo in snow with the stock Advan AO-46. It only leads to bad things. I tried mine out figuring "It's AWD, it will be fine." After almost dying right out of the driveway I went out the next day and got Blizzak LM-22's. These are a great set of snows. I outdrove eveything on the road in snowstorms and they are pretty good on dry roads also. I live in New Hampshire so I see quite a bit of snow and I drive professionally. Just get yourself some snows. As winter only rubber, they will last you a few years. Not a bad investment to be able to drive with the tail hanging out in 4 inches of snow and feel completely safe doing it.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 05:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeller
^ Do the LM-22s have the same compounds as the WS-50s? I have had WS's before and I was very happy, but now that I have an AWD car and would prefer a little bit of handling too, I am thinking LM-22s but I want to assure that they will last more than one season.

And to the guy from Rochester.... Buy snows, I live in Buffalo NY (about 1HR from Rochester) Snows are a must.
The LM-22 does not have the multicell compound like the WS-50. Instead it has a high silica base to help aid in it wet and snow conditions. If your looking for a bit more handling the LM-22 would be a good way to go. What you may not have in the mulitcell compound will more than likely be made up with your AWD.