Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Winter tires.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter tires.

I'm in the market for some winter tires. Well, all terrain to be more specific.

Here in the midwest we get a good amount of snow, along with good amounts of slush and dryness through the winter, so a decent performing all terrain is important.

I have 5Zigen FN01R-C's for my stock Advans. I'm planning on mounting these winter tires on my stock Enkeis, so 235/45/17 is what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to spend around $100/tire.

So far I'm liking these:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they perform well?
What other products might I look at?

thanks

/ancker
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Your not going to find a light truck/SUV all terrain tire to work properly on an EVO, so the most aggressive that's going to be available is a dedicated winter tire. The Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 is going to be the best tire for worst conditions. That is a dedicated winter tire.

The Kumho isn't bad, sort of a mid pack performer. That is an all season, so its not as aggressive or has the compounds like a dedicated winter. I would say its average at best in snow.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a set of the ASX's on my TSX, and they are very good tires, albeit softer walled than most UHP All Seasons...but, if you want a real winter tire, they arent a best choice. They are workable in the snow, but are not nearly as good as true snow tires.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not looking to do any racing or anything overly rambunctious during the winter, so average is fine. They'll likely only stay on my car from first snow until the end of February which is usually last snow and will probably only get MAYBE 3000 miles on them.

I've seen and heard about the Blizzaks, but since there is going to be WAY more dry/wet than snow driving, I don't think they are appropriate.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
What do all you Chicago/Metropolitan people do?

/ancker
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Neal - I am also in the winter tire boat. Last winter in MI and OH I drove on the stock Advan - oh that was fun (sarcasm). So this year I will be changing my summer tires out for the winter months.

I currently am in NJ, so I dont think the winters are going to be anything like MI winters. So I am looking at something all-season. I currently have Sumitomo HTR ZII as my summer tires. And to be honest, I was surpised by the preformance out of a $86 tire. Havent had any problems with them. And they do well on my Evo.

What have you heard about the Sumitomo HTR + tires ($83 ea)? Do they do well for light or normal winters? I know snow tires are best, but I would like something that I can use for 6-8 months out of they year. In the past in MI I would run Blizzaks, but they wear fast once it got warmer, and its usually the time where summer tires dont work either, so I would wear down those quickly.

Thanks,

M

Last edited by Smike; Oct 3, 2005 at 10:37 AM.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Neal are you out there?
Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Neal are you out there?
I'm pretty sure he's doing work as well as posting here when he gets time.
Not to mention, get your own damn thread.

/ancker
Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks, Im sure he is working also. And I dont mean to hijack your tread. But add to it.

You did ask for any other suggestions - my suggestion (if they will work - per Neals response) would be the Sumitomo HTR +.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Note the

/ancker
Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

lol...I got it.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Any dedicated winter tire will be good. I've been relatively pleased with my Blizzak LM22s. However I would look into the cheaper ones like the dunlop graspic (133/tire @tires.com) and the hancook w300(cheapest ) and pretty good for the winter. Drove a friends car with a set of all season continentals, and wasn't a fan of it in the winter, and motivated me to get the dedicated winter.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 06:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
What have you heard about the Sumitomo HTR + tires ($83 ea)? Do they do well for light or normal winters? I know snow tires are best, but I would like something that I can use for 6-8 months out of they year. In the past in MI I would run Blizzaks, but they wear fast once it got warmer, and its usually the time where summer tires dont work either, so I would wear down those quickly.

Thanks,

M

Sorry, yesterday was nuts and the site keeps timing out on me

Not a bad tire at all. With AWD I don't think you will have any issues getting thru a winter with them. Also good cause they are symmetrical which means you can rotate them anywhere on the car. This will help tire wear. The Conti Extreme would be a touch better in the snow but not by much.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Neal - excellent. Thank you for the advise, come Nov. I will grab a set of these from you.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 06:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Old Oct 4, 2005, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

I've used the conti extreme contact and they worked well last winter. The tire is great on snow, and slush. Just drive real slow on ice. Dry grip, well, they suck but makes ya look forward to the upcoming spring. I havent mounted them yet, been lazy and just praying it will stay warm for a bit more hehe