Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

static vs dynamic balancing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2005, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
static vs dynamic balancing

I have noticed that most of the aftermarket wheels I see have stick on wheel weights, towards the center of the rim. I believe this is static balancing, where the wheel and tire are only balanced for an up and down motion.

I think that dynamic balancing is where a wheel weight is located on each side of the rim, and accounts for side to side as well as up and down motion. I also thought that dynamic is required for wide rims(5"+).

My question is how do so many wide wheels use the stick on wheel weights and have no balance problems? Am I confused about static and dynamic? Is there some new balancer I dont know about?

Any helpful coments would be appreciated.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The term static in engineering refers to a motionless system, and dynamic refers to a system in motion. How that would relates to tire balancing, I am not for sure. However, my rims have the stick on weights, and are fine. I have heard that the weight on the side of the rim is better.

Sorry I couldn't help more.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:48 AM
SoR
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not that I'm a guru but from what I've seen the tires are not perfect so they have slight weight offsets and that's why you need to balance, to make up for the weight difference on one side vs the other. I don't think there's really anything with left-right since your wheel is pretty much fixed.
I think people say side weight is better because it sticks better and the stick-on ones tend to fall off... other than that, the side ones scratch your wheels. That's why I opted for stick-on weights
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think there is any difference ... I don't even think there is static vs dynamic balancing, its just wheel balancing and the use of different counter balance weights. As SoR said, stick on ones to avoid scratching the rim but could potentially fall off during heavy use or clip on one that go on the edge of the rim that scratch the rim a bit but don't fall off during heavy use ... all tire balancing machines use dynamic, ie rotating the wheel/tire to find out how much off they are ...
Old Oct 6, 2005, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
there is no difference. and if your wheels are moving side to side... you have bigger problems than a balance.

the reason you need to balance a wheel is because your wheel in motion creates a driven occilator system. if it is off balance the driven occilator will find resonsance or off resonance frequencies which will cause large amplitude oscillations (wheel hopping up and down).

Last edited by trinydex; Oct 6, 2005 at 03:14 AM.