Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

is my shock leaking?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2005, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is my shock leaking?

Today I rotated the wheels and noticed the front left shock is black which I think is leaking. I rubbed my fingers over it and it feels like black oil. The right side seems to be fine with no black oil on it anjd pretty clean. Is my shock leaking?

If my shocks are leaking what does it mean....completely gone or just leaking and still able to use them? Is there any way to test to see if they are working properly or only the shops can do it? please help....thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2005, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Does it smell really bad? You'll know when the strut oil is leaking out of the strut. My friend's strut blew and it smelled pretty bad. You should be feeling how badly it rides over bumps if the strut is blown.

I don't think our stock struts are rebuiltable so go find some new, used stockers or go for coilovers.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rsboy
Does it smell really bad? You'll know when the strut oil is leaking out of the strut. My friend's strut blew and it smelled pretty bad. You should be feeling how badly it rides over bumps if the strut is blown.

I don't think our stock struts are rebuiltable so go find some new, used stockers or go for coilovers.
Sorry for not making it clear. I have Cusco coilovers. The ride seems fine and when I push down on front of each side of the car the side that has oil leak seems to be slightly softer not 100% sure. I dont really know if that black oil is a leak or not, im sure it is cause I dont see how oil can get near that area and especailly the other side is fine. My other concern is do I have to take it back to Cusco or there might be a way to stop the oil from leaking and maybe just have a shop fix it and repair the leak...maybe it doesnt need a complete shock build?

BTW there arent any odors or anything like that.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it's a pain but you can take the strut off and see if the shaft sinks down into the sturt body...a sure sign it is blown. If you can push down on the strut (it should be difficult to do) and then it should come back up pretty slowly. The slower the better (more rebound). If it is leaking there is really no way to easily repair the leak especially because the the strut is dependant on the oil and amount of it to fuction properly. It will have to be replaced or rebuilt. Good luck.