Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Hawk HPS pads suck....what's a good alternative?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2005, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Haymann
try carbotech pads out of North Carolina,I pro rally a quattro with them.Very stable from cold start to left foot braking.Great track pad,easy on rotors.
Thanks! Now that's the comments I'm talking about.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDM_EVOVIII
OK, all jokes aside. They stop the car yes, but the squealing and constant glazing over on the rotors is what I'm pissed about. I work for Acura and do all my own installations. The brake pad install isn't the issue. I re-surfaced the rotors, moly-coated the pads and shims as well as the clips and they were fine for about 2 months. On the track, I expect the squealing and squeal they do, trust me. When just driving through traffic, the squealing occurs and it's frickin' annoying. BTW, I'd like to receive educated answers instead of responses like, "try WD40.........". Thanks to Travman for the EBC comments. That's what I might change to.
If you do a lot of track sessions, and/or run on a track that is hard on the brakes, then you might have to re-apply the anti-squeal paste periodically, or go with one that can handled repeated abuse (i.e. high heat). Not sure why you would resurface the rotors unless they're warped, and if they are/were warped, then I don't think I'd run them on a track.

l8r)
Old Nov 4, 2005, 11:46 PM

+ 1 on the resurfacing. you might resurface other rotors, but I am of the thinking that you don't resurface the Evo rotors. If they are warped and you resurface, then there is less material left making the rotor even more prone to warpage. If the brakes don't wobble, you'll be fine and don't need resurfacing. When my brakes start to wobble, then I will look inot a new set of rotors. Until then, I've got 40K on my stock rotors and still going strong.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kimletrim
+ 1 on the resurfacing. you might resurface other rotors, but I am of the thinking that you don't resurface the Evo rotors. If they are warped and you resurface, then there is less material left making the rotor even more prone to warpage. If the brakes don't wobble, you'll be fine and don't need resurfacing. When my brakes start to wobble, then I will look inot a new set of rotors. Until then, I've got 40K on my stock rotors and still going strong.
The reason for only turning the front rotors was a brake shimmey in the steering wheel. Apparently, the HPS pads were getting extremely hot and this only happened while driving around in Dallas traffic. I went back to using my older stock pads on the track. I'm thinking that I have to return back to the stockers, because it seems that the HPS pads are a little too hard of a compound for the stock rotors. I don't know.......I'm just venting my frustration. I don't like to turn rotors unless they are needed. I noticed when I pulled the front brakes off after only about 12k miles running the HPS pads that they were glazed and the shinney was coming from the rotors. They were pretty warped. Had to be re-surfaced 3 times. I'm looking for another set soon. Oh and moly-coating has occured 3 times now with these pads.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ranskaa
my fence used to squeak i put a little wd-40 no more squeak
YOUR STUPID! lol
Old Nov 7, 2005, 08:00 AM
Account Disabled

the Hawks are an ideal compound for stock rotors....they are very very gentle

Perhaps one or both of your calipers is hanging up.

However, what I can almost asure you now is that after turning the rotors 3 times, they are now going to be far too thin to cope with almost any pad. In my experience, the most these rotors can be cut one time, depending how bad the glazing is
Old Nov 7, 2005, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DCSilvrEvo
YOUR STUPID! lol
:eng101: Your != You're :eng101:

I mean christ, if you are going to call someone out, at least use the proper form.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 08:21 AM

I have Hawk pads SP with the Power Slot rotors and they are great.They stop with no fade or noise and give off no brake dust.Less cleaning your wheels.Maybe you have to haet them up more with the stock rotors.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

There could be a couple of things happening here. First if you're flipping between stock and Hawk compound pads they may be different enough that one won't bed properly until the other is completely burned off. Another consideration is that if you do regular track days, you might just be burning your anti-squeal compond off the pads. I've come back from track days and found my anti-squal compound cooked and peeling off the pack of the pad the next day.

Carbotech pads will also squeal if they aren't properly bedded and anti-squealed, too. I know this from experience; my Carbotech XP-8 pads are quiet as a mouse when everythings right, but get noisy when I cook the anti-sqeal off of them. I ususally end up re-applying the goo between track days. The pads have been fantastic though - I get quite a few comments from other drivers about my short braking zones...
Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

I too am a victim of the HPS sqeuel. Mine only happens once my pads are real warm like once I get to work or back home. Seems when they are cold they don't make a sound. And it is only light stops that causes it.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

try the project mu pads. not too much squel.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All performance pad will squeek a little right before you come to a complete stop. However, street performance pads should NOT squeek during normal braking. In order to min the noise...ALL pads will need to be bedded in properly and of course install correctly. I have no doubt that you have install the pads correctly but please do make sure you have bedded in the pads.

With that said, I have Endless SSS on my car and it works great. It does squeek a little right before I come to a complete stop tho.

Thanks,
Tom
Old Nov 8, 2005, 08:47 PM

im with tom on this one. if you dont have those pads bedded properly then yes they are going to squeal but i mean HPS's are KNOWN to squeal.... every car ive ever had them on squealed....

performance pads squeal and carbotechs are actually WORSE than the hps are
Old Nov 8, 2005, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

My HPS pads squeel all the time under normal braking. Its very annoying. They can get VERY loud once they get a little hot too (I'm talking like a metal on metal sound). I'm already starting to get a shimmy in the wheel under braking and I've only had the pads for maybe 7k miles. I had them installed by the dealership while they were doing a caliper replacement, so I would assume they were installed correctly...but perhaps not as my pads also slap against the rotor while I drive and make a clacking sound. I suppose its possible that the dealership didn't pull the old shims off the stock pads. I need to check and see.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 04:41 AM
Account Disabled

again, any pad squeels without anti sieze on them, and without proper bedding.

I have used HPS's on the following cars (all either my own or a relative's) over extended periods of time, without any noise:

RX7 (FC3S Turbo)
Galant VR4
WRX
2.5RS
350Z

if these pads, which are as mild a compound as you can get, are making noise, it's an install/bedding issue. Also, FWIW, pads really cannot overheat in traffic - perhaps you need to bleed out your system and get some fresh fluid in there if you are getting premature fade.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; Nov 9, 2005 at 09:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Hawk HPS pads suck....what's a good alternative?