Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Goodyear F1 GS-D3 best street tire?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2005, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe so, maybe not. Hell, I don't know. I do know that the tires are pretty impressive and should be considered as a good replacement for Advans. The eagles are pricey, but not near as pricey as a new set of advans.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

The most impressive thing i noticed with them was their wet traction. In fairly major rainy/wet situations those tires felt like i was driving on a perfectly dry road. You could still hydroplane but you really had to be haulin ***.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

IIRC, the wet skid pad test was about .82 g vs. KD's .67 g!

God I hate magazine racing, we need some real world experience here.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

You guys have got to read your articles a little better! I read the same article and they very clearly stated that the BFG's were the best in dry traction, followed by the Advans and then the Eagles, but they were rating a high performance tire with good wet weather capability, so that knocked the BFG's back. A lot may have to do with the vehicle as well. I'm inclined towards the Eagles over the BFG's simply for the fact that they handle better in the wet, as I live in S.FL and we get some pretty good rain.
On another note, I have a set of the Falken Azenis 245/45/17 ZR. They seem to hook pretty well on wet roads. I've nailed it into corners and accelerated hard out of corners on very wet roads with exceptional traction and no hydro-planing.
I'm looking at replacing my stock wheels & tires w/ 255/35/18's on an 18x9 wheel. I feel that these should improve the handling and appearance greatly
If your going to do any serious tracking with your car, get slicks, They're well worth it!
Old Nov 9, 2005, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by QAT-R

Factors included: price, lateral grip dry, wet and treadwear rating...

For example, the BFG was top in dry performance but next to last in the wet + higher priced and lower treadwear rating caused it to go down in rank.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 05:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been mentioning this tire for quite some time, but EVO owners just don't like it for some reason. Its really too bad cause they are one of the top three performers in their class. Every test is going to produce different results and opinions. Super Street could do the same test next month and rate it the lowest. You never know. But from what our customers have said and our testing here its definitely a top performer.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

The Goodyears came stock on my last car (VW R32). The are great in the rain, fairly quiet, very comfortable (soft sidewalls), wear fairly well, decent grip in the dry, and provide rather slow steering response. I personally prefer performance over comfort and much preferred the Azenis sports that replaced them. Cheaper, stickier, much better turn-in, louder, harsher, wear faster-always compromises. I would never want to lose the precise nature of my Evo's steering with a soft sidewall (like the Goodyear's). On the other hand, if you think your Evo is "twitchy", then you might like a softer sidewall.

Johannes
Old Nov 10, 2005, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

I'd take those raitings with a grain of salt since I don't think treadwear should have been factored in. You can't correctly adjust for treadwear ratings between differing tire brands.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 09:17 AM

I don't know about "all" evo owners hating this tire seeing that I have both an EVO and these tires and love them. I'm getting better wear and just as good of traction as I did with the stock yokohama's. These are great in my book.

Old Nov 10, 2005, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

What about side wall flex/mushiness?
Old Nov 10, 2005, 04:44 PM

I have had no issues whatsoever, but then again I only drive on the streets so I don't have any idea what they would do on a track. I'm just comparing them to oem yokohama and so far I feel they out perform them over all.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Neal, Which would you go for pure dry performance?
AD07 or BFG? or... Which would replace the A046?

thanks
Old Nov 11, 2005, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

The test was for street tires not track tires. If I ever run on the track w/ an Evo, I'll be using tires made for just that purpose(slicks).
I'm looking at replacing my stock wheels & Yoko's with 18x9 wheels mounted with the GY F-1's in size 255/35/18. Any thoughts on this size and combo?
Old Nov 11, 2005, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

I've been doing a lot of research these past couple of days and I'm heavily leaning towards a set of AD07s for the street/spirited hill carving. People seem to rave and rant about their own tire choices having nothing to compare them to. I have ridden on 255s KD's on stock rims and they performed amazingly save for the high noise level (about the same as stock Advan's if I had to guess). I'm guessing that 255 AD07s on a properly sized wheel ie. 8.5-9 would be killer, of course this is all speculative.

If anyone cares, the C&D article showed that the AD07's perfomed the best in both wet & dry autoxs
Old Nov 11, 2005, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

When Car and Driver did their long term test of the 03 Evo, they replaced the Advans with a set of Eagle F1's and they liked the Advans much better, despite the short tread life.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=4

Quick Reply: Goodyear F1 GS-D3 best street tire?