Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Stock Advans in the snow, dont do it.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2005, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coco,

my reasion for this post if because i am from Modesto, and i made a trip to reno yesterday, it started snowing suddenly and i was stuck with the advans...... i spunout 2-3 times over the pass on i-80, even after i stopped and bought chains....... if u wana try it , go ahead, but be prepaired to crash!

Originally Posted by coco
so if you go real slow the car wont be like it is on ice? I dont plan on gunning it in the snow, but having some fun in areas such as parking lots with no people

I have another stock-rally- car, ford focus, also without snow tires but with regular performance tires, nothing close to Advans, like the lowest Toyo Proxes, would that be much better in the snow then my 4wd evo with crap-snow tires?

Again I wont be racing or anyting like that, just going from place to place.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Get a set of wheels and some Blizzak WS-50 tires...unbelievable traction and stopping in light or heavy snow and ice! Best investment you'll ever make...trust me I live in Minnesota and almost found out the hard way with my old MR and MazdaSPEED Protege.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

i hate seeing threads being made about ppl wrecking their evos driving in the snow with stock advans.......it just brings a tear to my eye seeing such a masterpeice destroyed.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm rockin the advans=D.. Winter 05'/06' HERE I COME..Then again..I won't drive my car wet/snowy days. Only the nice sunny days where the roads are cleeeeaarrr...Good ol' purple people eater 95 senta beater..haha NV me
Old Nov 29, 2005, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

I bought my Evo at the tailend of this year's winter (first day of March). I had hoped that all the snow would be over as I didn't have money to buy winter tires afterwards. We ended up getting about 10 storms in 3 weeks

I drove my Evo in the snow about 3 times and it was very scary as the last thing I wanted to do was crash my brand new 30k car. I will just say this: they are manageable if the roads are plowed and still driveable with EXTREME caution (and risk) in light snow. However, if I were to do it again, I'd probably just get winter tires. Not worth crashing your car over 500 dollar tires.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Yep, first snow of the year, hadn't got the snow tires on yet and I slid right through an intersection going about 15 MPH. It was on a slight hill, but at 11:00 on a tuesday night so there was no one there luckly.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Advans+Evo+snow
Old Nov 29, 2005, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Only had the car about 2 months, first snow of the year , I thought I could beat the weather and get home before it hit but it came in early. Here's my experience:

It was very cold outside and had JUST started snowing, barely even a coating on the road.
I had come to a stop at a parking lot entrance and was waiting to turn in to traffice, car out of gear, brakes applied. I suddenly slowly began sliding into the intersection having, never taken my foot off the brakes.

I bought a set of Verdestien's before driving the car on a cold day again.

I was not aware of the cold temperature effect even on dry roads that I have read about in this thread.

There's a lot of really good advice here. Ignoring mfgr reccomendations and testimonals of the now initiated is not part of it.

Use your head
Old Dec 1, 2005, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

So for anybody considering driving in the snow here is my story that just happened ten minutes ago! First of all I have a few posts on here about driving in the snow up at mount Rainier with Advans and having no problems. The tempature makes a HUGE difference. When I went to the mountain there was snow from earlier but it was actually kinda warm and the snow was slush. I didn't have trouble at all. As I type this it is snowing outside my window....I want to go play so bad!! I got so excited when I saw there was an inch or two covering the road. I warmed up the car, grabbed the diggy camera and headed out. WTF? pulled out of the parking lot and started to slide!! hmmmm. Well now I thought to myself...I have a lot of experience driving on snow (in 4x4's) I can focus and power through this. I think I got up to 5 mph when the car decided it would rather drive in the ditch on the oppisite side of the road! Who am I to argue with an Evo, I was forced to let it do its thing! After about 30 mins of just trying to get around the mall by my house all I could think about was getting home. Every inch closer was a small victory at 3 mph!! the last corner I had to turn was a right hand turn onto a 4 lane road. I was going my, by now usual, 5 mph. The car just started to slide all the way across the road. There was a car in the far lane. I did all the usual tricks to grab enough traction to get just one car length of distance as I was headed directley side ways into a car waiting at a red light. I did manage to get past the car and only slam into the curb. My rims are now scuffed pretty badly but I made it home without exchanging insurance information. true scuffed rims on a rally car is nothing to cry about but the moral of the story is don't listen to other people who suggest driving in the snow on advans is OK. If you do you are taking a HUGE chance. After tonight I never will drive advans below 35 degrees and never in snow/ice. man.....It is still snowing outside my window....I just saw a jetta flying by with no prob and I can't drive my F***ing EVO!!!!! I wonder if anybody delivers snow tires at 11:30 pm........oh well..
Old Dec 2, 2005, 07:44 AM

summer tires in the winter = ew
Old Dec 2, 2005, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For all the guys talking about wanting to go out "drifting" in the snow. You still need grip to drift! You need to control your car...not just be a helpless passenger as it pirouettes into a traffic.

Use your heads, people.

Emre
Old Dec 2, 2005, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WTF_LOL
I did manage to get past the car and only slam into the curb. My rims are now scuffed pretty badly
Check to make sure you didn't break or bend any suspension components. With aluminum control arms and stuff it doesn't take much of a lateral impact to snap something.

Emre
Old Dec 2, 2005, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

i always tell ppl on all the "advans in snow" threads: JUST DON'T DO IT!

i still have the tires warning sticker on the door, for sh*ts and giggles and ppl always ask what that is.
i bought the car last september and i KNEW from my experience with dunlops sp8000 on the integra that this type of ultra high performance summer tires r not for snow or cold weather - period. there's no "oh i thought it would be ok if i go slow and not boost". it is NOT ok. u might survive it, but every time u r taking a huge risk. i actually drove the whole last winter on both my cars with summer tires on both cars in cold/slush/snow. but NEVER did i once relaxed and thought to myself "oh it's a AWD/FWD, i'll be ok in light snow". every time i saw even half an inch of snow on the ground, my heart dropped and i basically just babied around on the road like a granma and concentrated a lot on throttle/brake control (not so much granma'ing in the teg because i felt more comfortable in a cheaper older car hehe). i did hit 65'ish on turnpike with salt rocks on the ground while it was snowing, but i only did it because the snow was very light and melted as it fell and the car felt stable at those speeds. i prolly wouldn't do that again though. also, do NOT mistaken that u can go drifting in parking lots on the advans. like Kayaalp said, u still need GRIP. my friends told me that i should do some donuts and stuff in a snowed parking lot, but i refused because i didn't feel safe on those tires. anyway, last winter i was just being a cheap *** and had a second car which i took out during most of the snow. this winter...a set of 5zigens with WS50 on them is laying on my bedroom floor awaiting swap this weekend.
also, i toned it down in how agressive i take corners once the temps fell. u should be able to FEEL the warning signs by touching ur advans and see that they r very hard and slippery, compared to soft and sticky at summer temps. several ppl on evom got into accidents because they didn't see these signs
Old Dec 3, 2005, 08:45 PM
AcA
Evolving Member

For those of you who might think they can outlast the snow with Advan. PLEASE DON'T DO IT. I lasted my last winter with them but they were horrible. I had couple of close calls it's not the fact you'll slide everywhere but your brakes will be useless because it will lock up on you and down goes your precious EVO. So please go buy some snow tires or decent all season and HAVE FUN.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

I want to buy i set of cheap(<17in) rims for my evo and snow tires.

How small of rims can i put on my evo without f'ing anything up?

i was thinking just a cheap set of 15's or 16's from tire rack with some blizzaks

anyone have any input?

Quick Reply: Stock Advans in the snow, dont do it.