Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

disabling ABS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2003, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disabling ABS

can i safely disable ABS on EVO TME by removing the ABS fuse
so that my breaks operate in exactly same way as if ABS wasn't fitted ?

i'm going to a skid pan this coming weekend so this would be just a short term solution in order to be able to lock the wheels and slide (under instructor's supervision obviously).
Old Mar 25, 2003, 11:01 AM

thx,

btw. i'm assuming your RS2 version has no ABS, do you prefer it that way ?

pete
Old Mar 25, 2003, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

hehehhe...sometimes this winter i wished i had ABS as i was rapidly sliding towards a lexus on a sheet of ice. Haha but i know for you evo boys that can actually go fast, ABS can be a pain in the ***.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Claudius
You wont be able to do anything on ice with conventional road tyres, with or without ABS. On low grip sufaces, no ABS is much better than ABS as far as stopping distances are concerned.
On ice, ABS would essentially be equivalent to no ABS. If all 4 tires are on ice, the ABS system lock all 4 wheels and think you're stopped. As far asyour car is concerned, you won't be moving anymore.
-N
Old Mar 25, 2003, 04:24 PM

My car came stock with ABS and AYC, but I removed that COMPLETELY (including all pumps and electronics).
i understand your point about ABS, with some practice and good balance on the break pedal it's not that hard to stop smoothly at high speed without locking the wheels on non-ABS car and the breaking distance is shorter when compared to ABS equipped car.

but why did you remove AYC ? can you drive through a corner at same speed without AYC ? i was quite amazed how well the car sits in corners, it doesn't feel normal and yet it's an incredible feeling to push the car fast forward at the point where other cars would already start understeering or sliding outwards.

btw. can i disable AYC by removing the fuse (if there is any) in same way i would do it to my ABS ? while i have the chance on skidpan i just want to try all the different options.

i'm still undecided in regards to my ABS, whether or not to remove it completely, i would rather have the switch on my dashboard 'coz my wife may drive the EVO now and then and we all know how woman treats break pedal in emergency stop
Old Mar 26, 2003, 04:01 AM

Same speed or faster, but controllable.

Yes, it doesnt feel right; also, it's glued to the ground in the rear and will understeer like hell if you go really fast.
does it understeer even on tarmac ? then i guess i'm not going too fast . but certainly much faster than in any other car i've driven before

Yes; they are in the same location, a twin box in the upper left hand corner of your car when you stand in front of the open hood.
However, doing this will result in having an OPEN diff in the rear (not good).
ok, so that's what the other fuse is for !
these 2 fuses are not described in the owner's manual so i wasn't sure what the picture on the cover meant as there was no marking "AYC".
btw. the twin box on my EVO is not located top-left, instead it's attached with a bracket to the battery positive lead.

as per your suggestion, i'll not touch the AYC fuse. how much do you think AYC will affect me on the skidpan while doing (or at least trying to do) scandinavian flicks ?

in the meantime i have already removed the ABS fuse (not as simple as pulling it out, it was actually attached with 2 bolts )

I would NEVER let my girlfriend or any other woman (except Michelle Mouton) drive my car, ever. And I wouldnt recommend you do that. Two weeks ago, a woman rolled an Evo!
you know i think i heard this story, apparently her husband bought the EVO just 2 days before she rolled it

regards
pete
Old Mar 26, 2003, 05:02 AM

If you remove the fuse this will upset the AYC and you really don't want that
the info who need can be found at lancerevoclub.com the boys there will help
Old Mar 26, 2003, 06:15 AM
wtz
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Claudius,
I know you have sufficient talent to brake better on dry tarmac without ABS, but ABS rules in the rain. The main advantage is obviously that you can continue to steer the car under braking.
Cheers,
Old Mar 26, 2003, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

ABS is good. It is nice to have control and not spin out into ditches. That is why there is a insurance discount for it.

Quick Reply: disabling ABS