Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

best way to ship tires/wheels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2006, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question best way to ship tires/wheels

I'll have 2 stock advan available for sale soon (my rear tires cause I was stupid enough to ignore alignment/tire rotate that 1 front is now gone). Just wonder what you guys use to ship tires the cheapest? USPS/UPS/Fedex should be quite expensive given the weight right? Also I can just ship the tire like it is without any wrapping/packaging right?

Also I've another set of 18" wheels with tire from my previous vw (for audi TT, vw beetle, golf, jetta) that I'll sell. When shipping tires with rims, where do you guys get right size box for them? It has to be a pretty big box!

Thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Correct, tires can be shipped as is ... for rims + tires, I usually cut several circular pieces of cardboard equal to the diameter of the tire and tape both ends to protect the rim.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 05:23 PM

Thanks, I found from another forum that UPS gives special rates to tires but couldn't find it on UPS site. So I wonder if that's true.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Don't forget to try DHL.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

All the tires I've bought on-line have been shipped bundled in pairs--usually with plastic straps and a few loops of packing tape. Shipped UPS.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

fedex - wheel and tire - one in a box. Cheapest, other than parcel post USPS which sux donkey *****!
Old Feb 14, 2006, 01:56 PM

Thanks guys. DHL seems to have best rate and allows more heavier weight packages also. Unless UPS and FEDEX have special rates for tires but couldn't find them on their sites.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:58 PM

you should try shipping with greyhound. I think it's called GPX or something. It's cheap and quick, but you have to go to the bus stop to drop it off and pick it up.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bluedd
I'll have 2 stock advan available for sale soon (my rear tires cause I was stupid enough to ignore alignment/tire rotate that 1 front is now gone). Just wonder what you guys use to ship tires the cheapest? USPS/UPS/Fedex should be quite expensive given the weight right? Also I can just ship the tire like it is without any wrapping/packaging right?

Also I've another set of 18" wheels with tire from my previous vw (for audi TT, vw beetle, golf, jetta) that I'll sell. When shipping tires with rims, where do you guys get right size box for them? It has to be a pretty big box!

Thanks.
I shipped 2 BFG KDs 265/40-18s... from Southern Cali to VA... it was less than 30 bucks for the pair on FedEx ground. They required that you wrap it somehow, the recommendation from them was to shrink wrap it.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go to fedex kinkos and their boxes there fit pretty good with the rims!!! very snug....as it would when you get your rims shipped directly from a place that sells rims(or whatever).....and if you are in sacramento when you ship them....stop by fedex kinkos and ill give you my discount........75% (cause yea...i work there)
Old Feb 18, 2006, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Weigh and measure your _______ (insert name of item needing shipped) and use the website for each company to determine shipping cost. If your weight and size measurements are accurate then the online calculator will be accurate too.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

I have always had tires shipped to me in pairs thru UPS. Just take two tires, one on top of the other, wrap alot of tape thru the middle, and ship. They put the shipping sticker right on the tire.

You do get charged a few bucks for "odd size", but its still cheaper than finding a box.

As for rims, BOX THEM UP! Pack them well and don't be cheap...INSURE THEM! UPS is good, but pay for the insurance. It's worth the couple bucks.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

FedEx Ground... I shipped my stock rims from NC to NJ for $27...