Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

advans dried out?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2006, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
advans dried out?

sent this question to neal a week ago but i guess he hasnt been around.
i had my stock advans put on my new wheels last week here in philly and the guy told me that they advans were going bad, and they were really dried out. i stored them all winter in my buddy's basement wrapped in plastic and the tires only had about 5k on them when they came off the stock wheels. is this guy trying to sell me on new tires? i didnt know tires "dried out". they look fine to me, no cracks or anything in the rubber, but then again i dont know what im talking about... any thoughts? thanks
Old Apr 1, 2006, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

BS. Ten years maybe. One winter, he just wants to sell tires. This is coming from someone who worked in Goodyears tech center in Akron for two years, so I do have some knowledge on the matter.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

great thats what i thought. i knew one mild philly winter wasnt going to ruin tires. thanks for the quick reply
Old Apr 3, 2006, 05:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I apologize for not replying sooner. Tires typically have a shelf life of 4-5 years. I highly doubt they are weather checked or dry rotted.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

no problem Neal, i figured you must have been really busy. thanks for replying anyway.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 07:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old Apr 4, 2006, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

It's the strangest thing in the world, but my stock advans went really strange. First I thought it was me leaving the tire rotation a bit long, but it wasn't the whole story. The result is sort of extreme sensitivity to steering input and bumps on the road. Hoofing the accelerator pulls the car in random directions.

Checked alignment, twice. Checked balance. Tried rotating wheels around. No improvement. Changed tyres, all gone.

The exact same thing happened to my friend with his stock advans. Cured when he changed tyres. There was no crack or any damage on the tyres at all. They were also still round.

I'm not saying this is what happened to the tyres you're talking about but ours were 2.5 years old and nobody seems to have an explanation. I guess strange things happen.

I'm thinking it's something they put on the road here that don't work well with the advans.