Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

anybody try hoosier R6?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anybody try hoosier R6?

Anybody have any info/review of Hoosier R6 on the track yet? More specifically, can anyone compare Khumo V710 to Hoosier R6. I'm trying to decide between the 2 for a track tire on stock BBS rims.

Looks like V710 is available now in 245/45-17, while R6 is available (next week I'm told by Tire Rack) in 245/40-17.

From my searches, It seems most folks think 245/40 is best for stock rims, so I thought I'd wait for the Hoosiers. On the other hand, The V710 is quite a bit cheaper than R6 and can be had right now.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Doug
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It will probably be hard to find people who have done both, but hopefully someone chimes in who has. All I can say is that my V710s were buck nasty fast, but it is more designed for auto-x. I have used it to go fast in auto-x AND on the track, but I just recently corded mine. They got a lot of use, but probably not as much as they could have if I weren't a novice and driving improperly. I also think that the 245/45 is not the right height for the Evo, and although I had no issues with rubbing while using the stock BBS rims, I think a 245/40 would be a better match. Lastly, since the R6 is for road racing, it is probably better suited for the track. I do not know how expensive the R6s are, though. My 245/45-17 V710s were only $180/ea.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:19 PM

Thanks Warrtalon, you are everywhere.

Price at Tire Rack:

V710 $182 ea.

R6 $225 ea.

BTW, do you think the heat cycling ($15/tire) they offer is worth it? I kind of think it sounds good if it works. Especially at track days where you lose a session if you heat cycle on track.

Doug
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, I do think it is worth it, because if you don't get them heat cycled, then you have to heat cycle them yourself. After doing research to see what heat cycling really means, I found that my attempt to heat cycle them myself was just a big pile of poo. Read up on everything they do at the tire rack and how they wait a day after doing the heat cycling, and you'll see. I basically warmed mine up by driving them hard a bit, then went out and raced, but that was not the right way. It may have led to my premature tire wear in addition to my noobish driving.

I was trying to avoid that extra $60, but I will not make the same mistake here when I buy my 285/30-18 V710s.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

You can heat cycle them easily yourself. You take them out, heat them up a bit, then take them off and let them sit for a few days before using them. No big deal.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Depends on what you mean by "heat them up a bit."
Old Aug 1, 2006, 01:21 PM

Not to turn this into a heat cycling thread, but in my experience, tracks days are not the place to do a controlled heat cycle. On a crowded track with a wide disparity in driver ability, I find it hard to get a good gap to get the tires up to a consistant temp. From what I remember, it is best to let the tire cool completely after the first cycle. Up to a whole day. Tough to do when you are at the track for only a day.

That's what we used to do when I raced Formula Ford in SCCA. We would heat cycle them in the last practice session, then let them sit over night for the race the next day. This was with VERY soft Goodyear slicks. If you did it right, The tires would not only stick better when they were new, but they would last a lot longer (up to three race weekends) too. Saves lots of money. I dunno about sedan/ DOT tires, maybe they are diffrent, and not as sensitive.

Anyway, I think I'm going to try the Tire Rack method. They seem to know what they are doing. I'd be willing to bet there are tons of racers out there who would buy properly heat cycled tires if they could. It's such a PITA to do yourself.

Doug