Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Will 18" or 19" BBS RG-R or RS-GT wheels clear the stock brembos?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will 18" or 19" BBS RG-R or RS-GT wheels clear the stock brembos?

I'm going to be buying wheels in the coming weeks and am looking at 18" or 19" BBS wheels. I know the forged RE (diamond black) will clear my stock brakes. But one of my co workers at CEC who has been in the business for two decades says the RG-R and RS-GT wont clear my stock brakes. Is this truly the case? I love the RG-R wheel and its my first choice. The RE in diamond black is my second best choice.

If offset is an issue with brake clearence, i can always have the backpads machined at my work to give a proper offset.

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks in advance!

-Andrew
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

i just checked the tire rack site, they dont offer the RG-Rs for the evo, so im assuming that your friend is right i love the rg-rs also, had them on the iS300, theyre sitting in my garage i need to sell em lol gl man
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

I saw that on tirerack also.

Now does anyone here know enough about wheels to know that if they could fit if the backpad is shaved to the proper offset? Perhaps i'll call BBS about this.....
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Andrew LB
I saw that on tirerack also.

Now does anyone here know enough about wheels to know that if they could fit if the backpad is shaved to the proper offset? Perhaps i'll call BBS about this.....
you could always run spacers, like a 5mm maybe even larger, depending on how much room you need
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:01 AM
Account Disabled

Andrew, I just read your post, even if the backpads are machined at your shop, you will only be removing material, bringing the wheel closer to the brakes/hub.

Just wait about a week or so. I have some BBS wheels coming from Japan. BBS doesn't offer anything like Rays does as far as the "pad" of the wheel goes. This is what determines if it will clear BBK applications without spacers or not. This is the reason why there are so many different *'s and ^'s in the Rays catalogs when choosing a wheel.

BBS I have realized is similar to Enkei, they just make wheels with specific offsets, but don't really consider BBK's. That is why even with a 18x9.5 +27, you need a 10mm spacer to clear on Eneki's.

I will have pictures and measurements on the wheels I have coming in. I've been researching and looking for close to a year now for BBS wheels that will clear. Even the set that I've purchased, I don't think will clear without spacers.

I will keep you guys updated.

Ed @ Evasive
Old Aug 30, 2006, 05:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unfortunately nothing other than the RE from BBS will work. Brembo brakes are what's holding the fitment back. Its too bad cause I really like my RS-GT's, its a great wheel.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

I'm confused which wheel is which...but at least one of them would clear Brembos....here's pics... (pretty sure they are the three-piece RSGT) It's confusing b/c the guy's first post says they are RGRs but clearly shows that they are the RSGT in the pictures and in his second thread...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...hlight=bbs+rgr

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=202877

Last edited by mdosu; Aug 30, 2006 at 05:58 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evasive EVO
Andrew, I just read your post, even if the backpads are machined at your shop, you will only be removing material, bringing the wheel closer to the brakes/hub.

Just wait about a week or so. I have some BBS wheels coming from Japan. BBS doesn't offer anything like Rays does as far as the "pad" of the wheel goes. This is what determines if it will clear BBK applications without spacers or not. This is the reason why there are so many different *'s and ^'s in the Rays catalogs when choosing a wheel.

BBS I have realized is similar to Enkei, they just make wheels with specific offsets, but don't really consider BBK's. That is why even with a 18x9.5 +27, you need a 10mm spacer to clear on Eneki's.

I will have pictures and measurements on the wheels I have coming in. I've been researching and looking for close to a year now for BBS wheels that will clear. Even the set that I've purchased, I don't think will clear without spacers.

I will keep you guys updated.

Ed @ Evasive

Thanks for the information Ed. I'll probably end up buying RE's in Diamond Black when the time comes. I've always loved BBS wheels and these look pretty darn nice. I'm going to call BBS at work tomorrow to see if there is anything coming in the future that can work on my vehicle just to be sure.

Here is the RE in diamond black:

Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:50 AM
Account Disabled

I spoke to "ninj0x" about his BBS wheels earlier this year and was informed that even he needed a 3mm spacer to clear the brakes.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 02:53 PM
Account Disabled

My BBS wheels came in today. Everything clears perfectly... except for one thing, the hub size.

Apparently these already are built hubcentric for Skylines (the car these wheels came off of) with a bore size of 66mm. Our EVO's use a 67mm bore size so I am currently running a 5mm spacer to clear the top of the hub. I could also enlarge the bore by 1mm and have it fit perfectly hubcentric. There is enough room to clear the brakes WITHOUT using a spacer if I have the bore machined on the back of the wheel.

The wheels are a little beat right now, brake dust and scuffed lips, AND I need tires too so it'll be atleast another week or so until I get things mounted. I'll get pictures up ASAP!

Ed @ Evasive
Old Sep 9, 2006, 03:20 AM
Account Disabled

Wheels are mounted. A lot of modification was done. Camber adjustment, hub boring, as well as fender cutting. I think the results were well worth it. Pictures coming tomorrow. Oh yeah, the wheels are BBS LM's =)

Ed @ Evasive
Old Sep 24, 2006, 05:11 AM
Evolving Member

pics? sorry....didnt see them if you posted them elsewhere.