Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Repainting Brembo Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2006, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Repainting Brembo Brake Calipers

Has anyone had a problem with the red paint coming off the brake calipers? I may have ruined them with bringing it to car wash or something. I would like to repaint them myself. Has anyone tried this? If so what products did you use? I did some research about G2 paint, it seems alright. Anyone uses it before? All response are appreciated, thank you.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is very common problem. search around.

I had this problem too. I wet sanded the calipers, cleaned them really good, then re-cleared them with high temperature clear coat. I have only been driving the car a week so I cant tell you whether or not it will last. Some peps on here have done the same thing. They look brand new after I finished.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

I had this problem as well. I think in my case it was directly contributed to brake fluid coming in contact with the clear coat. I finally got sick of looking at my pink brakes and yanked them three months ago to repaint them. The entire process took me approx 3 days. I comletely stripped them with 800 grit sand paper, which was no easy task considering the back of the calipers has alot of fins sticking out creating alot of tight areas to sand between. think that perhaps if you had a variable speed dremel with sanding atachments you could speed up the process, but I would definelty be carefull going this route.

I then cleaned them thuroughly with Duplicolor paint prep, and hit them with three coats of primer ( I just used the basic duplicolor engine enamel white with ceramic ). When they had dried for an hour or so I applied my base coat. I used the same color I painted my Valve cover, a metallic blue from duplicolor. The blue was not rated for high heat but it has held up quite well, no fading, chipping, peeling etc. I finished it off with three coats of high heat clear, let it cure for 16 hours then reassembled my brakes.

I had intended to respray the Brembo logo in white but I just couldn't convince myself to fork over the 30 somthing dollars for a new stencil set, but it is available if you wanted to do so. I still plan on doing this but, I can never seem to find the time, money or motivation to get around to it.

I can post pics later if anyone would like, besides it will give me a reason to get off my rear and clean my rims.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

you can get new ones if u fight with mitsubishi

there was a thread on here not to long ago about a few ppl who got there brake calipers replaced under warrenty because of peeling
Old Jul 11, 2007, 07:40 PM

take it back to mitsu
Old Jul 11, 2007, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea I heard that rumor to that the 2k3 evo's peel the worst and actually turn orange mine hasnt done that yet and im close to over 75k miles
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SuperchargedGTZ
this is very common problem. search around.

I had this problem too. I wet sanded the calipers, cleaned them really good, then re-cleared them with high temperature clear coat. I have only been driving the car a week so I cant tell you whether or not it will last. Some peps on here have done the same thing. They look brand new after I finished.
Did you remove the calipers from the lines when you did this?
Old Jul 20, 2007, 09:16 AM

i can confirm that around Mitsubishi will fix this but usually only if you get regular service at a dealership. (otherwise the assumption is you messed them up bleeding your brakes or changing fluid or something).
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:15 PM

my calipers on my 05 the clear coat just started to peel at 20k.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 05:38 AM

took mines to the mitsu dealer and got all four replaced just yesterday.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

how about getting it sand blasted then powerdercoated? Shouldn't be expensive - small pieces.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Apex Racer
I had this problem as well. I think in my case it was directly contributed to brake fluid coming in contact with the clear coat. I finally got sick of looking at my pink brakes and yanked them three months ago to repaint them. The entire process took me approx 3 days. I comletely stripped them with 800 grit sand paper, which was no easy task considering the back of the calipers has alot of fins sticking out creating alot of tight areas to sand between. think that perhaps if you had a variable speed dremel with sanding atachments you could speed up the process, but I would definelty be carefull going this route.

I then cleaned them thuroughly with Duplicolor paint prep, and hit them with three coats of primer ( I just used the basic duplicolor engine enamel white with ceramic ). When they had dried for an hour or so I applied my base coat. I used the same color I painted my Valve cover, a metallic blue from duplicolor. The blue was not rated for high heat but it has held up quite well, no fading, chipping, peeling etc. I finished it off with three coats of high heat clear, let it cure for 16 hours then reassembled my brakes.

I had intended to respray the Brembo logo in white but I just couldn't convince myself to fork over the 30 somthing dollars for a new stencil set, but it is available if you wanted to do so. I still plan on doing this but, I can never seem to find the time, money or motivation to get around to it.

I can post pics later if anyone would like, besides it will give me a reason to get off my rear and clean my rims.
yeah post some pics id like to see them.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

My calipers started peeling at 35k- dealership replaced them w/o a fight (thanks Don Herring!). You should PM KevinD - he has some nice powdercoated calipers, and can probably point you in the right direction.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 07:53 PM

There's a company called G2 that makes caliper enamel that's guaranteed for life. It's basically one step less hardcore than powdercoating.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by greend13
my calipers on my 05 the clear coat just started to peel at 20k.
Wtf Im at 21,330 on my 05 haven't noticed nothing....

Quick Reply: Repainting Brembo Brake Calipers