Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

2 piece rotors: Which would you get and why?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2008, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been using PF rotors on my daily driver and have had 7 track days on with them with great success, no cracking, etc.. I also use RA1s on the track.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 06:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
yes the new rotors come with new hardware and the hats are reused
What do those replacements run?

As far as R compounds vs. street tires, I would think that street tires are harder on brakes. You have to slow down more before corner entry and you have to lengthen stopping distances due to lack of traction (more heat).
Old Jul 10, 2008, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

I Must have jinxed myself cause I just warped a set of PF rotors....
Old Jul 10, 2008, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

the thinig is

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW

As far as R compounds vs. street tires, I would think that street tires are harder on brakes. You have to slow down more before corner entry and you have to lengthen stopping distances due to lack of traction (more heat).
they tend to be on back order, last time I paid $500 for the kit and had to wait like 3 weeks.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

at least

Originally Posted by nils
I Must have jinxed myself cause I just warped a set of PF rotors....
if they are truly warped you can cut them, hard to fix cracks.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
if they are truly warped you can cut them, hard to fix cracks.
ya.. I know... i just thought it was funny
Old Jul 10, 2008, 07:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

r-comps are a lot harder on brakes.....

- andrew
Old Jul 10, 2008, 07:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
r-comps are a lot harder on brakes.....

- andrew
Why?
Old Jul 10, 2008, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
R Compounds are able to create higher loads with the increased grip and thus higher torque loads on the braking components.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 08:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by jid2@[BINARY]
R Compounds are able to create higher loads with the increased grip and thus higher torque loads on the braking components.
Right...of course, but we are talking about longevity of brake components, not instantaneous loads.

If you are on street tires, you have to brake earlier and you have to keep the brakes on longer, both because you can't brake as hard and you need to slow the car down more before turning in.

Putting aside the lower turn-in speeds with street tires, don't you think it puts more wear on your brakes to apply them more gradually and drag them over a longer distance vs. hitting them hard but over a briefer period of time? Which would give more rotor-cracking/fluid-boiling heat build-up time vs. cooling time?
Old Jul 10, 2008, 08:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you are on street tires, you have to brake earlier and you have to keep the brakes on longer, both because you can't brake as hard and you need to slow the car down more before turning in.
This is true, but the increased amount of braking force you can apply with r-comps on the car means you are generating way more heat. You're simply able to brake much harder, and that's what puts the extra wear on the components.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Jul 10, 2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
This is true, but the increased amount of braking force you can apply with r-comps on the car means you are generating way more heat. You're simply able to brake much harder, and that's what puts the extra wear on the components.

- Andrew
Exactly. It's not just the time the pedal is depressed. The higher forces create more heat and destroy rotors quicker than lower forces and slightly longer braking durations. The difference in braking time maybe 1 second or so, the difference in braking force with R-compounds over Street tires is a larger factor.

Although I have no data to back that, just conjecture and what I've seen on my car. Plus being an engineer.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

what's up with the eternal back order on PF 2-piece rotors? Did they just stop making em like Stoptech?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Stoptech didn't stop making 2pc rotors. They have parts on the shelf. Confirmed this yesterday with a head honcho that works there.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jid2@[BINARY]
Exactly. It's not just the time the pedal is depressed. The higher forces create more heat and destroy rotors quicker than lower forces and slightly longer braking durations. The difference in braking time maybe 1 second or so, the difference in braking force with R-compounds over Street tires is a larger factor.

Although I have no data to back that, just conjecture and what I've seen on my car. Plus being an engineer.
To decel faster requires more power - just like it takes more power to accel faster.

Decel horsepower is dissipated in the rotors and pads in the form of heat.

A higher decel rate (by running R-comps etc does 2 things.

More heat into the rotor - and cast iron has poor properties for heat cycling above a certain temperature. Gray iron can absorb and move a lot of heat - it just doesn't like doing it under certain conditions.

Faster temperature rise - cast iron really does not like thermal shock - or large temperature gradients across a section width.

Both conditions lead to cracking.

The cracking failures are completely normal and expected. If you are not cracking them - then you are on a less brake intensive track - or running a pad that won't generate that much heat w/ otu fading - or are not super hard on the brakes.

You may gain soem life by warming up and cooling down better to minimize thermal shock and/or temp gradient.

Quick Reply: 2 piece rotors: Which would you get and why?