Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

How much camber? Suspension Guru(s) Needed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2003, 02:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much camber? Suspension Guru(s) Needed

Hi,

Looking for a street/track alignment. I just got my EVO setup to the stock specs. It was a mess from the factory and had almost everything out of whack. The wheel was like 1 inch to the left and the toe total in the rear was .41. The camber on all four corners was all over the place. Anyway I got it pretty close to the factory specs but I do have 0 toe front and rear. Figured that would help right off the bat. What do you guys suggest as a baseline setup for camber? I was thinking 1.25 in the front and 1.0 in the rear. I want the least understeer possible and descent tire wear on the street. (You know the miserable time we spend between track days.) Is 1.5 too much for the street or 1.25 a better compromise?

FYI, this is my first car that is not RWD so I’m a little unsure of where all the understeer comes from. Does a thicker rear swaybar help enough or is it the LSD in the front? (Or maybe a little of both?)
Old Jun 9, 2003, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Claudius,

Yeah but at 1.5 will they last at least 8K-10K miles ( approx. 13K-16K KM)? That was about average for me on S03s on my old car, I don't have a clue what A046s will wears like on my EVO.

Is the Cusco 23mm a good choice? What brand and size swaybar to you run?

So are front LSD the "bee's knees" or what?

Last edited by EVO Rosso; Jun 9, 2003 at 02:58 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

The front diff is open, not LS.

I rotated my tires this weekend and took some measurements of tread depth across the tire. The wear actually seems pretty good, if not biased more towards the outside of the tire, even with a lot of front camber and -1.1 in the rear.

Decreasing the rear camber would make the rear bite less in a corner, right? If that is true then backing the rear camber out to about -0.5 would loosen the rear up a little bit, giving a bit more oversteer.

I'm guessing I'll have to replace my tires at about 8k-9k miles at this rate... maybe sooner if I AutoX this weekend and next weekend too.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 03:24 PM
EvoM Guru

It really depends what type of "normal" driving you do! I can get very even wear out of 2+ degrees (front only) because of the windy nature of my roads. Austin has a lot of good roads around it so you may be able to use the extra camber. On the other hand if you a doing a long commute on the highway then you might get some inside wear. Defintely take the camber out of the rear (as Claudius suggested), that is where the inside wear will take place (and cause understeer) IMO
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by iodine23
The front diff is open, not LS.
Yeah I was refering to getting a Cusco front LSD vs a thicker rear sway bar? That was a little confusing in my first post. BTW, iodine23 I got a $15 off coupon to Christian Bros if you are interested doing an alignment over there. They also have the camber bolts with the 'cam' in them for extending the camber adjustment.

I think Claudius has 'straightened' me out. I will do -1.5 front and -0.5 rear camber and keep the 0 toe front and rear. If that doesn't do it I will try I thicker rear swaybar. The LSD is not an option for awhile...

The Cusco rear swaybar is here. Its 3-way adjustable.

chronohunter, the roads in Austin excellent especially to the west of the city. Unfortunately I do have some take some extended roadtrips. Like my trip to Dallas in July for the Texas Dyno Day...

Last edited by EVO Rosso; Jun 10, 2003 at 12:33 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Help, please!!!

The alignment shop just called to tell me that they got the rear set to -0.5 but they could only get -0.7 on the front. Are they doing something wrong? Should I go with -0.7 in front and -0.5 in the rear? Should I go with less in the rear since I got less in the front?

I'm kinda upset... I want my camber.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

I was also just told that it did not come with eccentric bolts from the factory. He said something about them being "slotted" and "straight through". What gives? I'm pissed...
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

AutoXer: There is an eccentric bolt in the top hole of the front strut that will let you dial in 1 more degree of camber, just rotate it 180 degrees. See my thread on it here.

The max negative camber most people have been reporting is about -1.6 or -1.7, so your -0.7 with the bolt in the stock orientation sounds about right.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

I got them to believe me about the bolt... but they're going to charge me for "realigning" the front end!!! Isn't that a crock of poo!!!

$131.60 for a 4 wheel alignment.... Man, I'm steaming mad!!!

Perry's Alignment
Old Jun 14, 2003, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

i run 0 toe front and back and -2 frnot camber with-1 at the back. works quite well
Old Jun 14, 2003, 10:51 PM

It is possible to get as much as -2.2 up front on the passenger side. Unfortunately, my shop could only get -1.3 on the drivers side. Not clear why the difference but even on the auto-x course, the car doesn't feel too unbalanced (and watch out in those left hand sweepers!).

Quick Reply: How much camber? Suspension Guru(s) Needed