Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Stock tire wear

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2003, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock tire wear

I just rotated my tires for the second time yesterday while doing my 6k oil change. I figured I'd report my observations on my tire wear.

The mileage on the car was 5870, alignment has 0 toe all around, about -1.1 camber in rear, and unknown camber up front (I made it as negative as possible with the stock eccentric bolt after getting my first "alignment" done). This car has seen 3 autocrosses, and I can't remember if the tires were rotated before or after the first one. Otherwise it's mainly a commuter car, seeing just over 50 miles a day to/from work and other around-town driving.

The front tires have noticeably less tread than the rear ties. I could see/feel this for the past week or more, even before the rims were off the car. I used a digital calipers to measure the tread depth and found about .14" tread on the outside of the front. The middle and inside had a little more, probably about .18" (I'm working from memory here). The rear tires had a similar wear pattern, the outside tread had about .24" tread depth, and the middle was closer to .28" or so. So that's about .1", or 70%, more tread depth on the rear than on the front.

I don't know what the stock tread depth was, but my estimates have me guessing I'll be replacing these tires in the next 2000 miles or so unless I want to have a set of A-046 slicks.