Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

upgrading brakes need help

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2007, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
upgrading brakes need help

well i have just about worn through my stock brake pads and want an upgrade. i autocross a lot and will see a few times on the track but the car is mostly a daily driver. i live in the cold weather in a ski resort so i need something that is good all year around. i have heard from reccomendations to get the ferodo ds2500's so i was planning on getting that, ate super blue racing fluid, and some ss lines at the same time.

my question is, when doing brakes do i need to do rear pads and brake lines also? i would like to save as much money as possible so i was wondering if i would be fine leaving the stock pads and lines on the rear brakes.

also what is a good stainless steel brake line?

thanks for the help
Old May 8, 2007, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes you would be fine but the question is do you really want to? If you have worn out both your front and rear, why not replace both of them to maintain the same brake balance?

I run Ferodo DS2500s. They are really good street/track pads but ultimately it depends on the speed you are hitting and the amount of braking required on the race track. They can withstand mild to moderate track braking fine but I wouldn't rely on them for heavy high speed braking.

For brake fluid I would look into Motul RFB600 over ATE Super Blue. Stoptech makes some good SS Brakelines but they are not as cheap as the competition. Goodridge and Technafit are also others you can consider. Goodridge had some problems with the 1st batches that were release but those were fixed during the later runs.
Old May 8, 2007, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the info, it just amounts to the fact that i dont have a jack or anything so it would cost me an extra 200 dollars or so to get the rear pads and to have them installed. do i need rear ss lines??
Old May 8, 2007, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Brakepads are really easy to change on the EVO. It's as easy as jacking up the car, taking off the wheel and popping out 2 pins. But you need a jack to be able to do it. You might want to consider buying a cheap jack capable of lifting a corner of the EVO. Do it once and you will be able to easily do it again. But I understand everyone isn't as mechanically inclided or has the time.

Well does anyone need SS brakelines? That is a tough question, the benefits are very subtle from my experience, you get a little more feedback. I'm done multiple trackdays on the stock brakelines and never had a problem. Pads have had a bigger effect. Some do it for piece of mind. If you can afford to do then go for it ... if not just spend the money on better brakepads.