Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Horrendous Brake Squealing!!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2007, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horrendous Brake Squealing!!! Help!!

Hi Guys,

I received my car from compliance about a week ago and they told me they changed the pads. The brakes squeal like crazy. It is so loud its embarassing. Now I don't know much about brakes, the car stops just fine. The sound seems to be coming all the time now and it is usually when coming close to a stop or from low speed such as backing out of a drive way and braking.

Is it possible that the calipers are grinding the rotors? I do have a couple of circle lines around the rotors which look like grinding lines but I am not sure as they were already there before they changed the brakes. Some people are telling me that it is because they used crappy pads and it should go away in a couple of months when it wears down.

What do you guys think? Does anyone have pics of their rotors and calipers which I can see the gap between the caliper and the rotor?

Hope someone can help. Cheers!!
Old May 9, 2007, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It happens with almost all of the pads for the evo. However since you have two lines on your rotor check to see if the pads wear indicator it touching the rotor when you step on the brake. Those lines may also have been caused by the old pads if they were beyond the wear limit.
Old May 9, 2007, 07:12 AM

thx for that, pardon me for being dumb but where is the pad thread wear indicator?

Cheers!!
Old May 9, 2007, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Mine squeal too with normal light stopping at lights and things. If I'm hard on them no squealing.

It's embarrassing sometimes when you slowly stop at a light and your car is squealing and people just look over at you and think, " Look at that ricer, has money for a giant wing, but can't afford pads." If only they knew the truth.

Hahaha
Old May 9, 2007, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

You should be able to see the wear indicator looking directly on top of the caliper where the pads are. Its the little metal rod sticking out. If that rod touches the rotor, it will cause those lines and means pads need to be changed.
Old May 9, 2007, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

if they changed your pads, they should be new, the wear indicator should not be the reason.

Then, there're many reasons for brake squeal: bad quality pads, track/race pads, issue with installation...

The 2 main reasons are:
- Bad quality pads. Do you know what is the brand of the new pads? OEM?
- Bad installation. Did they put back the OEM shims? Did they use anti-squeal compound when installing new pads?

Squeal will not affect the performance of your brake system, it's just annoying.

See the thread below if you want to know more about your brake system
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=77123

==> Watch Rally videos, you'll see how WRC cars squeal!
Old May 9, 2007, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Most of the time it's caused by vibrations. I tried greasing the outsides once and it worked for a while but i guess the shop used some cheap grease as the squeaks came back a week later. Guess i'll have to do it myself when i got the time.
Old May 9, 2007, 07:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Take off the calipers if you want no squeal.

It happens with stock pads, Hawk pads, Ferodo pads, PFC pads...

We have tried 124737493903X different combinatiosn of pads/shims/grease and they still will make some noise. Depends on weather, driving style etc.

Why do you think Infinity stopped putting them on the G35? Tooooo many people cried!
Old May 9, 2007, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

I have 3000 miles on my IX...first thing I did when I got out of the dealership was break the pads in...I have no squeal at all unless the rotors are wet and I am lightly pressing on the brakes
Old May 9, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

I have ferrodo DS2500 with stock rotors, I've put the stock shims back, put anti-squeal compound on the back of the pads, anti-squeal compound where spring is in contact with pads.

10,000 miles, no squeal at all

I broke my pads in by doing 10 huge brakings (90 mi/h to 10 mi/h)

Last edited by Lazeum; May 9, 2007 at 08:38 AM.
Old May 9, 2007, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

I have Hawk HPS and they squeal like a mother ****er! I put the stock shims back on all 4 pads, I put anti squeal all over the back of the pads (they were ORANGE!). They squeal when I brake lightly, they dont when I brake like I am racing. I think I will go with Porterfield R4S' next time.
Old May 9, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Hawk HP+, which are pretty aggressive, but they don't squeal due to all the grease I used. Even when my stock pads squeaked, it was only at very low speed, and it was a light squeak. If you really have horrendous squealing, then you have an issue far beyond brake pads squeak. Do these 3 things:

- Check to make sure your brake dust shields aren't touching the back side of the rotor. This causes extremely loud squealing, but it doesn't really hurt anything. It's easy to push the shield away from the rotor, since it's malleable.
- Look for any fresh grooves on BOTH sides of the rotors. I once screwed up my installation and put the washer for my brake duct cooling kit on the wrong side of the caliper, which caused the caliper to make direct contact with the rotor and eat a deep groove into it.
- If neither of those things help, then simply take the pads out and grease the hell out of the back side while ensuring they still have the stock shims
Old May 9, 2007, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

This has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads if you do a search. If I can make my Pagid RS14 race pads not squeel much, you can totally eliminate squeeling with OEM pads. The key is to re-use the organic shims from the back of the OEM pads along with plenty of permatex copper anti-seize compound like may on a sandwich on all layers between the back of the pad and the caliper pistons (it comes with the Brembos in a little squeeze packet but it's hard to find otherwise). Good luck.
Old May 9, 2007, 02:54 PM

thx for the help guys, I will check it out soon, haven't got the time to remove the wheels plus i am totally noob when it comes to mechanics.

I will do a search to find out about the shims because I have no idea what they are lol.

But yeah the squealing is bad, wasn;t like that when the car arrived from japan. Only when they replaced the pads.

Cheers!!
Old May 10, 2007, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

i had the same problem, its the shims, when i did the pads (ds2500) i didnt know you had to put the shims back in (yes i know, what a noob) so i threw them out /w the old pads, the next day it started sqealing just how you described it, so i went to mitsu and bought new shims, came out to be like 4x w/ shipping and now it just squeals when i'm going less then 5mph and brake