Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best Coilover for street use occasional track

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2007, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The coilovers I have listed on my sig are probably the best bang for buck you are going to get street and occassional track wise. Better than Megans, better than Bilsteins PSS-9 ...

Front 2 just need a revalve ($100ish each). This is the same type of coilover Warrtalon uses
Old Jun 18, 2007, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is better in your guys' opinions? BC Racing or Megan Racing?
Old Jun 18, 2007, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

The stock struts/shocks are actually pretty damn good. Remember, one of the reasons you bought the car is for the excellent handling! For optimum handling on rougher roads, they are a bit overdamped for the stock spring rates, though.

Some of the cheaper coilovers come with spring rates that are weird. You want a HIGHER spring rate in the back versus the front for optimum handling. This is the way the stock springs are set up. Remember - the stock Evo is one of the best handling cars on the market. Many of the cheapies come with higher rate springs in the front = BAD.

If you just want a lowered look and good handling (and your stock shock/struts are in good shape), forget the coilovers. Get some good quality lowering springs with a higher spring rate that is proportional to the stock spring rates. I used Tanabe GF120 springs for a couple of years, and I was quite happy with them. I now use the Ohlins/Vishnu/Gerrard suspension. The car definitely handles better, but we are talking about a $3000 suspension versus the $200 springs.

Look at the sticky in the Suspension and Handling forum for spring rates of various lowering springs. Compare them to the stock spring rates listed there.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Our custom tuned KW Variant 3's are a great bang for the buck coilover. You get separate damping and rebound adjustability, full stainless body, limited lifetime warrantee, and your choice of spring rates all for a very reasonable price. We have been doing a lot of 7k front, 8k rear spring rates and they have worked very well for both street and track. The European valving makes for great ride quality, even if you go with fairly high spring rates.

-Dan
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsi90awd
The stock struts/shocks are actually pretty damn good. Remember, one of the reasons you bought the car is for the excellent handling! For optimum handling on rougher roads, they are a bit overdamped for the stock spring rates, though.
Actually I beg to differ, the stock struts (regular evo) aren't really that good. They are actually horribly mismatched to the stock spring rates. They are made by KYB and all of KYBs budget shocks aren't very good, IMHO. The MR bilsteins are really nice shocks but a little too much on the softer side.

The excellent handling comes from a well designed suspension setup, sway bars, springs and a really tight steering ratio. If you've driven on Ohlins or KW V3, I'm sure you understand how much better the suspension can be.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goody
people are asses on this site....

^^You just noticed?
Old Jun 19, 2007, 08:28 AM

lol
Old Jun 19, 2007, 09:43 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TURBevO8
Which is better in your guys' opinions? BC Racing or Megan Racing?
If you're talking about the BC Racing Type BR, I'd say the BC Racing. BC Racing makes Megan's coilovers. The Type BR is their new design which improves upon all the little things that were lacking in BC's (Megan) old design. Stuff like better spring isolators for less road noise, a better design for the top spring hat to prevent grinding sounds from dirt getting trapped, more secure lower locking perch to prevent it getting loose, larger pistons to allow for more fluid so it is less affected by heat build up.

I've had both, I had Megan and recently upgraded to the BC Racing. I have pictures of them side by side. One of these days I need to post my comparison/review up.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These get my vote
Attached Thumbnails Best Coilover for street use occasional track-p5.jpeg  
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by value
These get my vote
Ahhh! Ohlins Flag series ... a little overkill for the street don't ya think
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeh but the Yen rate is good right now $2700 approx.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Ahhh! Ohlins Flag series ... a little overkill for the street don't ya think
Agreed, the Flags are probably a bit overkill in this situation. However, the Sportlines would be a good option. For most dual-purpose street and track cars we recommend either the Variant 3's or the Sportlines. In my opinion though, you are getting a bit more for what you pay with the KW's.

-Dan
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by value
Yeh but the Yen rate is good right now $2700 approx.
Not according to Works, more like $4,400

http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...roducts_id=291

I'm sure GTWorx.com would have a much better price on them.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Tanabe Sustec Pro SS-II... any opinions on these? They're labled as a track/street coil-over. They're not the best for the track, but they're more than you'll need for the street, assuming so since they have two sets of coil-overs that are much cheaper with no damping adjustment, unlike the Pro SS-II's. They're $1050 if I recall correctly. Sounds like a good deal and from my searching Tanabe seems to get alot of praise, but I have yet to hear anything on the sustec Pro SS-II specificly.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

I found that my Buddy Club Racing coilovers from AMS were great and they were quiet affordable. I used them for over a year on the street and no issues..... I like to drive hard and they did very very well.....

Quick Reply: Best Coilover for street use occasional track