Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

suspension upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2007, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suspension upgrades

i have an 05 mr what are some of the things i should do first.

i was thinking of a bump steer kit, sway bar endlinks, and trailing arm bushings would this be a good start.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Are you on NCE???

Dennis
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evilevo22

i was thinking of a bump steer kit, sway bar endlinks, and trailing arm bushings would this be a good start.
That's a pretty odd list of beginning mods. Do you know what each of those mods does? If not, I'd suggest reading up.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 04:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends on what your plans are for the car.

Some nice coilovers are always a good start. If you will be Auto X, you'll want to combat the stock understeer with a rear sway bar... the Hotchkins 24mm is adjustable (3 settings) and provides very good results.

After that, Whiteline makes two products you could look into, the Front Roll Center Adjustment Kit and the Steering Precision Kit
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ReSin
Are you on NCE???

Dennis
yes i am
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ShamelessCookie
Depends on what your plans are for the car.

Some nice coilovers are always a good start. If you will be Auto X, you'll want to combat the stock understeer with a rear sway bar... the Hotchkins 24mm is adjustable (3 settings) and provides very good results.

After that, Whiteline makes two products you could look into, the Front Roll Center Adjustment Kit and the Steering Precision Kit
i mainly drag race but am getting ready to do a HPDE and soon will be auto X and road racing.

Cant afford coilovers yet i was thinking works or the red tanabe springs.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i mainly drag race but am getting ready to do a HPDE and soon will be auto X and road racing.

i was also thinking gtworx springs.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

1. gtworx springs
2. rear sway bar
3. Front Roll Center Adjustment Kit
4.Steering Precision Kit
5. alignment

sound like a good start
Old Oct 21, 2007, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can't afford coilovers, then you can't afford to do HPDEs. A set of coilovers will make much more fiscal (monetary) sense than a bunch of small things tossed together.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 04:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
If you can't afford coilovers, then you can't afford to do HPDEs. A set of coilovers will make much more fiscal (monetary) sense than a bunch of small things tossed together.
^ I strongly disagree. Are you saying you shouldn't bother doing track days unless you have coilovers?

IMO, most people would end being a much better driver, learning their car, and eventually setting faster times, if they took the money they were going to spend on coilovers (whether they are the cheapo ones or not) and put it into more seat time. Especially for most people on this forum, who are usually just starting out tracking their car. You can do a lot of track days with the money spent on coilovers.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Oct 21, 2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

+1 for the works springs.

i am in a similar situation as you. i autocross alot and have done a couple time trials, but couldn't afford the coilovers i want just yet. so i got the works springs and i am very happy with them.

as for the rear end links, i have the perrin ones, but only because i broke the stockers (from adjusting the stiffness on my rear sway bar a few too many times). they feel a little stiffer in the rear, but i don't know if it is anything that really helps me. it is a hard thing to say. you might be better off getting everything you can out of the stockers and maybe spending that money on a polyeurathane bushing kit.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

You also said, "i mainly drag race but am getting ready to do a HPDE and soon will be auto X and road racing. Cant afford coilovers yet i was thinking works or the red tanabe springs."

So youre getting ready to do a HPDE, and will soon get into auto-x and road racing? What type of road racing are you referring to? Do you really know what youre getting yourself into?

Best thing you can do is to mod nothing. Have your car checked by someone who knows what theyre doing...fluids, pads, rotors, tires...the essentials. Basically, make sure your vehicle is safe to be driven on a track. Then, improve yourself, ie the driver. Give yourself a good 10 events before considering mods.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Save money for brakes, tires, fuel, fluids, and stuff breaking
Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

I can afford good coilovers but will not purchase them till I am comfortable with knowing my cars stock potential as well as mine as a driver. What I have learned from my track time is first pads and fluid are a necessary upgrade as it didn't take long to find the limits of the stock brakes. The next thing I did was upgrade the stock springs to the Swifts that are designed for the stock Belstiens and a stiffer rear sway bar. This helped the car rotate and took away some of the understeer. An aggressive alignment definitely helped with the way the car turns. I get the most satisfaction from mods when I can accurately measure the benefits and improvement from each upgrade. I could have afforded to have my car built to top specs but would have missed out on the value of each mod… my
Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Bueller
Best thing you can do is to mod nothing. Have your car checked by someone who knows what theyre doing...fluids, pads, rotors, tires...the essentials. Basically, make sure your vehicle is safe to be driven on a track. Then, improve yourself, ie the driver. Give yourself a good 10 events before considering mods.
I agree. You can spend $20k in mods and a pro driver will stand hand you your *** in a stock car. Improve the driver first. The Evo is already extremely fast stock with a good driver.; it's not like you're driving a corolla!

Quick Reply: suspension upgrades